“Very comfortable, with helpful, pleasant staff”

Apex Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #70 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Stayed here solo one night while visiting family in Edinbugh. Convenient short walk from Haymarket Station. On arrival, asked for room at back on upper floor (had read about street noise); no problem. Huge bed (king size, just as I'm used to in USA!), with nice linens; room was small, but well decorated in a moden style, including desk and armchair. Also, a small fridge with two complimentary bottles of water...wow, most hotels gouge you for water! It was warm and cosy - a plus in the Scottish winter! Well stocked bathroom, albeit small, with powerful shower. All of it charming and clean.

All staff I encountered were friendly, helpful and efficient. Very nice full breakfast included or continental if you wished. Free wi-fi access in room. Easy access to Princess St, walking or by bus. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

It was a pleasure to read your review of the Apex European Hotel following your recent stay and that you found our location to be very convenient.
I was also delighted that you found all the staff to be helpful and efficient and that you enjoyed the selection of items we offer at breakfast.
I do hope you will choose to stay with us again next time you visit Edinburgh.
Warmest Regards

Reviewed 1 March 2013

Booked this hotel as a birthday treat for my partner who loves shopping in Edinburgh. 5-10 minute walk from Haymarket Train Station made this an ideal choice. Reception and restaurant staff very friendly and helpful and room was immaculate, both agreed we would be coming back. Definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Caroline,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your stay at the Apex European Hotel.
It’s lovely to see that you found our restaurant and reception staff to be very friendly and the rooms to be immaculate as this is something we pride ourselves on.
I will look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for an overnight as a treat for my birthday, great location, the staff were really pleasant and helpful. Room was very clean. Will definitely be going back and will recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2013
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear Claire,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex European Hotel, I hope you had enjoyable birthday treat.
I am pleased to read that you found the staff to be helpful and that you would recommend the hotel to friends and family.
I will look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stayed here as a engagement present to look at venues for my wedding along with my cousin and her husband who's anniversary was the next day made us feel very special and nothing was too much bother. Would definatley recommend and central to all the good spots x credited us with £20 worth of drinks to celebrate too xx

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Debra,
Thank you for your review and may I congratulate you on your engagement.
It’s always a pleasure to read such positive feedback about the staff as this is something we pride ourselves on.
I do hope the wedding preparations are going well and will look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed at the hotel at the end of January for the weekend with my mum and could not fault a thing from the nightshift and reception staff to the service in the restaurant ......... The breakfast was fab value for money and the staff could not do enough for you bringing extra toast and tea/ coffee whenever you wanted it, the food at dinner was also very very good and not too over priced at all.
The rooms were very nicely decorated with lovely comfy bed and a lovely touch with the pink duck ....... Which looks great in my mums bathroom :)
The hotel is in great location and only a stones throw from the train station and short walking distance to princess st.
I would definitely recommend staying here to friends and family and I hope to return sometime in the near future
Best Regards and thanks for a great stay
Miss Debbie Butterworth

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Debbie,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay to celebrate your mum’s birthday.
I was delighted to see that you could not find fault with the hotel and that your mum loved our Apex duck.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Apex European Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed here with my husband for night in first weekend in Feb. I booked online, and the chap who booked it was really friendly and chatty. This jovial friendly attitude continued ŵhen we stayed at the hotel. The receptionist and lady in the bar were really pleasant, helpful and friendly! The hotel it's self is very modern and clean. It's right beside Haymarket train station, so it was perfect for us as we travelled by train. Our room was v clean and modern. Slightly on the small side, but for £67 room only, we still thought it was great value for money. All in all, a v good find!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lyn17
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Dear Lyn,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay last weekend. I was delighted to see that you found all the staff to be friendly and the hotel to be both clean and modern.
I do hope you and your husband will choose to stay with us again when planning your next trip to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for 2 nights at the end of December for our minimoon and I have to say that I could not fault it.

If you are wanting to be in the centre of Edinburgh however this is not the hotel for you but we wanted somewhere that would be quiet as it was around Hogmanay when we went and the city centre was very lively! This was great for us as it had easy access to get to Edinburgh town centre.

The hotel is literally a 2/3 minute walk from the train station and it takes another 2/3 minutes to get into Edinburgh with trains being very regular.

The hotel staff were very welcoming and polite and when we got to our room we were not disappointed. The rooms are very basic but nicely decorated and clean and to be honest you have everything you need right down to the Elemis Spa toiletries in the bathroom.

There is an option for room service but we did not use this as it was a nice experience to dine in the restaurant. Again the staff were very helpful and what I liked was the fact that at breakfast you were shown to a table and had your order taken rather than having to help yourself to a buffet which is common practice at a lot of hotels. There were a selections of foods that were buffet style for example breads, cereals and drinks etc but you were brought toast, hot drinks and your cooked breakfast to the table.

The bar area was a nice place to sit in too. It's small but comfortable and all staff are again friendly.

We did not have any complaints about this hotel but I am sure if we'd have had any issues that they would have been dealt with promptly.

Overall a nice, clean and friendly hotel. We will definitely be going again at the end of the year.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank L_Netherwood
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind review and providing such valuable information future visitors to the Apex European Hotel and Edinburgh.
It was a pleasure to see that you found all the staff to be helpful and that you had an enjoyable experience in our Metro West End Restaurant, both in the bar and at breakfast.
I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.