“Great hotel, amazing breakfast”

Apex Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #72 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, amazing breakfast”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

All staff from reception, housekeeping to restaurant couldn't have been nicer or more helpfull. Room cosy and well equiped and vegetarian breakfast best I have ever had. Only reason not 5 star is that the rooms are a bit pokey and only has shower rather than bath. Would happily stay again though.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
AdamGray1, Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Peter,
“Amazing Breakfast” is always a catchy title for a review and thank you for that. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and you found the staff to be friendly throughout. Hotel staff can really impact a guest experience and I am glad that the staff at the Apex European Hotel were able to do this for you in a positive way.
I hope I can welcome you back to the hotel again when you are next in Edinburgh. Book directly with us online and receive a £10 voucher for use during your stay.
Best Regards,
Adam Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here whilst in Edinburgh for a dinner. The location is very handy for Haymarket station but not so much for the city centre itself. There was a wee bit of confusion over our reservation when we arrived but that was quickly resolved. The staff were really friendly and welcoming at all times. The room we had was nice and cosy, on the top floor, well away from the lift, as requested. It was clean and there was enough space for us both. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was well-appointed and included toiletries (even a rubber duck to take home!). A couple of problem points were the very scuffed skirting boards in the room and a little mould in the corners of the tiling, which wants re-grouted. We attempted to have a drink in the bar area whilst waiting on our taxi to arrive but the bar staff were too slow. Overall it was a good stay and the hotel served its purpose exactly as we required.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear George,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that there was confusion with your reservation, but it pleasing to read that the reception team were able to rectify the issue promptly. I am glad that you found your room to be cosy and the staff throughout the property were friendly and made you feel welcome. Since the review, I have passed your comments onto the team.
Also, since the review, many of our bedrooms have seen the shower floors being re grouted so I hope if you choose stay again that you will see a dramatic improvement.
I do hope you choose to stay with us again,
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

A great place to spend a few days in Edinburgh.Situated in the Haymarket area of the city.We came here to celebrate my husbands 50th b'day.The staff were perfect,they made us feel so welcome,and were so very helpful,giving us directions of places we wanted to visit,and also giving us ideas for places to visit.The rooms were spot on,very clean,and soooo comfortable.(loved the huge tv).We will definately stay at this hotel on our next visit to Edinburgh.Well done everybody at the Apex European,Andy and Mandy Connor(part of the Roberts party)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Andy and Mandy,
I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the 50th birthday celebrations in our hotel and it is pleasing to read that we did not disappoint. The staffs’ local knowledge proved to be invaluable to you and I have passed on your kind comments to the teams throughout the hotel. I am glad you had a comfortable stay and will stay with us again.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Apex European Hotel in the near future,
falkirk
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed here for an overnight visit with the wife to enjoy the hospitality of Edinburghs night life. Situated in Edinburghs West End near Haymarket train station it is a bit out of the main city itself but there again at £55 a night you can afford to splash out on a taxi to take you in to the heart of the city. The hotel itself was very clean and rooms comfortable and modern. Very friendly staff who couldnt do enough for you. Highly recommend

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Harry,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay at the Apex European Hotel. It is pleasing to read that you would recommend us highly to your friends and family – thank you for this. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and the staff were able to assist you in any way possible.
I do hope you will come back and stay with us again,
Kind Regards,
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Perfect place to stay and only a short walk away from the centre (20 minutes)
Rooms basic but fine as only need a room to sleep when visiting a city
Super size tv which was a bonus
excellent and friendly staff
very clean and would definitely stay again
highly recommended for value

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Steve,
Thanks for the review regarding your visit to the Apex European Hotel. It is good to hear that you will stay with us again and that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed on your kind comments regarding the staff to them as they always like to hear feedback from guests.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future,
Best Regards,
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I was staying in the Apex for 4 nights.
The room was clean and organized. Towels replaces everyday, and the general feeling
was very good. Staff was kind and glad to guide us on various issues. I also noticed
an iron and an iron board which is very nice, and a working fridge to keep cool ;)
Additionally, wifi connection is very good,

On the down side, the bathroom floor (were you wash yourself) had stains (possibly mold?)
which I was forced to stand on. So that's something I'd like to see improved. The same goes
for the closet, which is vary narrow. Additionally a few shelves had stains which made me
leave my cloths in my suitcase.

So all in all there's room for improvements. But I do appreciate the staff's work and hospitality.
I'd love to come back and see the above issues fixed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave detailed feedback regarding your stay at the Apex European Hotel. I am glad that you were able to make use of the complimentary WIFI and that the staff were friendly and accommodating. To address your issue about the bathroom floor – please be assured that since this review, all of the bathroom/shower floors have been relayed and the issue has been resolved.
I do hope this problem will not deter you from staying with us again as I look forward to welcoming you back to the property. Thank you again for your review.
Wales, UK
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Spent a weekend at the Apex European and found it great in most respects. The Airlink bus to/from Edinburgh Airport, stops about 150 yards along the road. It is a little way out of the city, but perfect for Murrayfield. There is a local bus stop directly outside, which will take you into Princess St. etc. You can get a rover-type day ticket off the driver for £3.50. Rooms in the hotel were spacious, well appointed and clean, and all the little extras, like teas, coffees and shortbread bikkies, were present, correct and replenished by the Room Fairy! Fresh laundry and room serviced each day, even though we were only there for 2 nights. The complimentary £10 voucher given (available to spend on food/drinks but not breakfast) when reservations are made direct with the hotel, came in handy, as the bar prices are over the top. No draught/keg beers 'on tap'. We had one evening meal there, with most of the lads going for the 'Taste of Scotland' 3-course set menu at £19.95, which was good value for money. A couple of us had the 'Chargrilled Sirloin of Scottish Beef', off the A La carte menu, at a similar price, and that was NOT good value for money! Two of the guys had breakfast (£9.95?) which they reported was 'good'.
The staff were friendly and helpful (Gold Star for Owen!).
All in all, it added to a good weekend and we'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of the Apex European Hotel following your recent stay and providing valuable feedback for others visiting the city.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay finding the staff friendly and helpful, in particular Owen from our Guest Services team.
I do hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.
Kind Regards