“Great staff...good breakfast...would stay again!”

Apex Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #72 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Rossendale Lancashire
“Great staff...good breakfast...would stay again!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights for new year celebraions. Just a short walk into city. Nice room; all staff friendly; breakfast good value and choice; nice touches were mulled wine and mince pies on new years eve and whisky and shortbread in room too. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2013
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Guest,
It was pleasing to read that you had an enjoyable New Year experience in Edinburgh and that we were able to play a part in that. I will pass on your comments to the staff about their friendly manner as they are always delighted to hear feedback from guests.
I do hope you consider the Apex European Hotel on your next trip to Edinburgh.
Vicky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights over New Years, it is rated a 3 star hotel and that is what you get.
Pros:
Staff - so friendly, happy to help and very approachable
Location - whilst a little out of city centre it was easy to get to/from the airport and was about 20minutes to walk to Princes Street
Wifi - free internet and quite fast too
Pillows - I am not a fan of feather pillows and they do have foam ones available
Breakfast - we paid for breakfast one day and thought that it was quite tasty, reasonable selection of foods and they even had gluten free bread for me.
Tea/coffee and biscuits provided in the room - even got free mini whiskey and shortbread to celebrate New Years!
Cons:
The beds - I do not normally comment on the beds as I think it is very individual as to how you like a mattress but we had twin beds (as when I booked there was no double rooms available) and one of the beds was very sunken and really did need replacement, the other mattress was a bit better but could still do with replacement too.
Noise - I know that the hotel cannot do much about this but we are reasonably light sleepers and found the noise from other rooms and from the corridor a bit disturbing at times.

The bathroom is small but it was clean, the room is small but was ok for a short break. Overall this hotel is ok but I think for us next time we would want to stay a bit more central.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kiwitraveller1983
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here for Hogmanay. Great location and nice hotel but the staff really made it I think. Nice surprise in our room on arrival and just great place. It's down as a 3* but I've stayed in 4*s with less going for them.

On the practical side there are irons in the room. I stay in lots of places for work and don't like lugging ironing boards with half filled irons around as soon as I arrive (so for me I liked that)! There was also, apparently (I'm not an expert on these things), a good hairdryer. My gf made it quite clear there better be one if she wasn't going to pack one! The all night bar was of use for buying some champagne after the bells too.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
AdamGray1, Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Andrew
Thanks for the feedback and I am pleased to read that you and your girlfriend had an enjoyable stay at the Apex European Hotel. I am glad that you were able to celebrate New Year in style with champagne in the bar after the bells.
I do hope I can welcome you back to the hotel again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Another nice hotel and about 200 metres from Haymarket Station where you can get a 5 minute train to Edinburgh Park.

The Rooms were nicely decorated and the Staff were really friendly, I liked the layout of the Hotel, the Bar and Restaurant is at the front and the Food is nice, I wish the place sold Pints though instead of Cans and Bottles.

I would stay here again, for those travelling to Edinburgh Park you would normally take the steps over the line to arrive outside Costa, keep walking straight on to the fence and you can take the alleyway to the right which takes you to South Gyle Crescent where all the companies are.

You can also get the bus, the 22 is a regular bus, take the Ocean Terminal Bus from S Gyle Crescent to get to Princes Street and then a 12 back to Haymarket or 22 to South Gyle and a 12 back to the Haymarket, i'm not sure which is quicker.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
What a great title for a review – thank you very much for taking the time to leave us feedback. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay at the Apex European. It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your meal during your stay and that the staff were helpful and friendly. I have passed your comments on to them which they are always pleased to hear. If you are looking for accomodation in Edinburgh in the future, book with us directly and receive a £10 off voucher to be used again food and beverage purchases.
I hope you will visit us again,
Warm Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

The Apex European Hotel is conveniently located within a short walk of the Edinburgh Haymarket Railway station. The bus into Princess St stops outside the hotel. From here you can easily visit all of Edinburgh's major attractions including the Castle, the Palace and the Whiskey Experience.

The rooms are excellent three star rooms and although a little tired they are clean and comfortable. Highly recommended.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us some online feedback regarding your recent stay at the Apex European Hotel. I am pleased to read that you were able to use out hotel as a base for your activities throughout Edinburgh. The attractions you mentioned are definitely worth visiting and I am glad that you had an enjoyable trip. If you visit Edinburgh again, book with us directly and receive a complimentary £10 voucher for use during your stay.
Warm Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I transferred here from the Apex City due to my having to change dates of a pre-booked stay. I was impressed that a pre-paid deal was able to have a credit for one night taken across to another hotel in the chain.

Reception was friendly and efficient and sorted out the credit issue with little fuss.

The European is classified 3 star, and I think that is pretty accurate. Rooms are small and bathrooms tiny - just enough room to stand up in. Tap ware has been updated and everything worked. The cupboards are tiny - you wouldn't bother taking anything out to hang up. There was no safe in my room.

I ate in the restaurant one night due to horrendous weather. Again, it was OK without being as good as its counterpart in the 4 star Apex City Hotel. Oddly, there was no beer on tap - only bottles. A 25% discount on the restaurant bill is given if you book through the front desk - which is a brilliant deal.

The free off street car park has capacity for about 9 cars only.

Overall, I was satisfied with the Apex European - you get what you pay for and its not far to walk into the city, or there is the bus. Close to Haymarket station.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael076
Dear Michael,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay with us. I am glad that we were able to transfer your pre-paid accommodation and the reception team were able to accommodate your needs in a friendly manner. I have passed your positive comments on to them which they are always happy to hear.
I am glad we were able to accommodate you in our restaurant to save you heading out into the horrible weather.