“Fab room”

Ranked #73 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
kirkcaldy,scotland
“Fab room”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a Monday night, and got a lovely double room over looking the main road. We managed to get parked in the small car park, which is a bonus for central Edinburgh. The room was lovely, had a huge bed and lovely soft pillows and duvet. The room was very cosy and had a lovely modern bathroom with lovely toiletries. We look forward to using the hotel again, great rate with a 10 pound voucher to spend in any of the Apex hotels. Really handy for the Haymarket train station

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank purplerain47
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. It is always good to read that a guest such as yourself had an enjoyable stay. I am pleased that you found the hotel comfortable and were able to use the car park, as pointed out by yourself, this is a bonus in central Edinburgh. I am pleased to read that you are planning on using the Apex European Hotel again and I look forward to the opportunity for my team to welcome you back.
Vicky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I booked this hotel as I was attending a conference in Edinburgh at Murrayfield Stadium. Great location close to Haymarket and a quick taxi ride to the stadium.
My room was very reasonably priced and had everything I needed - good facilities - iron, ironing board, hairdryer, tea and coffee etc and an ensuite shower/toilet. Room was a wee bit shabby - the wardrobe doors didn't shut properly and the woodwork was chipped and tatty but it wasn't a big deal for a room at £54 per night.
I will definitely book this hotel again if I am in the area.
The staff are extremely helpful and kind and polite -well done them!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CaroleLed
Dear Carole,
It was pleasing to read in your review that you had a comfortable stay and I will pass on your appreciation to the staff, positive guest feedback is always music to their ears. I am a little disappointed that you felt the room was a bit shabby looking and I welcome any further comments from yourself about this or even the room number so I can get this room reviewed as a priority and improvements can be made. Please contact me by email vicky.rigby@apexhotels.co.uk if you wish to do so.

I do hope you will stay with us again if you are in the area,
Reviewed 9 January 2014

After a hurried search on late rooms we booked into the Apex and quickly called reception to ask for an early check in, after explaining the circumstances the receptionist could not have been more helpful and we greeted us like a concerned friend upon our arrival.
Check in was super swift and we found our room to be exactly what we needed, spotless, warm and waiting for us.
Room service that night was delivered quickly and smoothly and the food was of a good standard.
I would definitely recommend the Apex if you are visiting Edinburgh and looking for a place slightly out of the centre but within easy walking distance.

1 Thank JacFielden-Russell
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of the Apex European Hotel, it is greatly appreciated. I am pleased to read of how accommodating the reception staff were at the last minute for your booking and that your room service was enjoyable and just what you needed.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Edinburgh.
Best Regards,
Swindon
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Me and my wife stayed here for 3 nights from NYE and were very happy with our choice. Within walking distance of the city centre and also close to a Tesco to top up with drink for the room. The staff were very friendly throughout the Hotel. We never ate but had a drink in the bar every night which was nice and comfortable.

The rooms were fine with very good curtains which blocked any sun light coming in. We were on 2nd floor and I don't recall hearing any noise outside.

If I had one minor complaint it would be that there wasn't any beer on tap in the bar but that could be forgiven.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to review the Apex European Hotel following your stay over the New Year period. I am pleased that we were able to meet your requirements during your stay and that the staff were accommodating and friendly throughout.
Rossendale Lancashire
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights for new year celebraions. Just a short walk into city. Nice room; all staff friendly; breakfast good value and choice; nice touches were mulled wine and mince pies on new years eve and whisky and shortbread in room too. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,
It was pleasing to read that you had an enjoyable New Year experience in Edinburgh and that we were able to play a part in that. I will pass on your comments to the staff about their friendly manner as they are always delighted to hear feedback from guests.
I do hope you consider the Apex European Hotel on your next trip to Edinburgh.
Kind Regards,
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights over New Years, it is rated a 3 star hotel and that is what you get.
Pros:
Staff - so friendly, happy to help and very approachable
Location - whilst a little out of city centre it was easy to get to/from the airport and was about 20minutes to walk to Princes Street
Wifi - free internet and quite fast too
Pillows - I am not a fan of feather pillows and they do have foam ones available
Breakfast - we paid for breakfast one day and thought that it was quite tasty, reasonable selection of foods and they even had gluten free bread for me.
Tea/coffee and biscuits provided in the room - even got free mini whiskey and shortbread to celebrate New Years!
Cons:
The beds - I do not normally comment on the beds as I think it is very individual as to how you like a mattress but we had twin beds (as when I booked there was no double rooms available) and one of the beds was very sunken and really did need replacement, the other mattress was a bit better but could still do with replacement too.
Noise - I know that the hotel cannot do much about this but we are reasonably light sleepers and found the noise from other rooms and from the corridor a bit disturbing at times.

The bathroom is small but it was clean, the room is small but was ok for a short break. Overall this hotel is ok but I think for us next time we would want to stay a bit more central.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kiwitraveller1983
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here for Hogmanay. Great location and nice hotel but the staff really made it I think. Nice surprise in our room on arrival and just great place. It's down as a 3* but I've stayed in 4*s with less going for them.

On the practical side there are irons in the room. I stay in lots of places for work and don't like lugging ironing boards with half filled irons around as soon as I arrive (so for me I liked that)! There was also, apparently (I'm not an expert on these things), a good hairdryer. My gf made it quite clear there better be one if she wasn't going to pack one! The all night bar was of use for buying some champagne after the bells too.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
AdamGray1, Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Andrew
Thanks for the feedback and I am pleased to read that you and your girlfriend had an enjoyable stay at the Apex European Hotel. I am glad that you were able to celebrate New Year in style with champagne in the bar after the bells.
I do hope I can welcome you back to the hotel again.
Kind Regards,