“Good...but a little tired in places”

Apex Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #73 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Good...but a little tired in places”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Could not fault any of the staff as they were all very pleasant and helpful. Food was good and the dining area light and airy, although the chairs were very heavy - I struggled to get in/out of my seat so this would definitely pose a problem for any elderly or infirm diners.

Room size and facilities were adequate, however, the bed was very soft and the overflow on the bathroom sink was black with dirt and grime. Nothing that a bit of bleach wouldn't remove though.

All in all, it is a decent enough hotel if you are looking for something close to the train station and within walking distance of Princes Street etc. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ZsoltJakri, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

thank you very much for your very positive feedback. I am delighted you found our team pleasant and helpful they are really an asset here. I could not agree more with your comment on our location, we are an ideal base to explore what Edinburgh has to offer.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back and I recommend that you visit our website prior to your next stay for the best offers.

Yours sincerely,

Z Jakri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lyon, France
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Business style hotel without much flair located near Haymarket station. If you are a good walker, you can reach the old part of Edinburgh in ca. 30 minutes, otherwise take a bus or a tram from around the corner.

Positive:
Comfortable and large bed, good bathroom with tub and shower. (Shower gel didn't get replaced and we had to find housekeeping staff to ask for a new bottle.) Everything very clean and well kept. Friendly and helpful staff!

Negative:
Our room had no air conditioning! While I understand that it hardly gets hot enough in Edinburgh to need one, summer had really arrived while we were there and the room was unbearably hot. The window only opened a crack for safety reasons and not much cool night air could come in. Our room faced a very busy road and the loud traffic noise never stopped.

Breakfast service was very patchy and we had to wait a long time to place our order for a hot breakfast. No buffet for warm food, only a very basic and simple one for "Continental Breakfast"! If you're in a hurry, you'd better skip it.

The hotel is alright if you get a good deal, a quiet room and cool nights!

Room Tip: No air conditioning, so if you want to sleep with your window open, ask for a quiet room which doesn...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you were happy with the location and the cleanliness of the hotel. We are just off Haymarket Station, which is an ideal location for both business stays and to explore Edinburgh.

Your visit fell on an exceptionally hot time of the year and as you said, it is never really an issue here, but we offered fans to every guest in the hotel during this period. With regards to our breakfast, we offer a very good value breakfast with a large continental selection and hot items that are cooked to order.

I am delighted you found us a good place to stay and upon your return to Edinburgh in the future please visit our website for the best deals.

Yours sincerely,

Z Jakri
Dronfield
Reviewed 19 June 2014

very polite and interested receptionist who informed me of the facilities on offer. She could not have been more helpful.

My room upon walking in was very tight. Just 12 inches of gap between desk chair and bed. Beds very soft. Stains over walls and lamp shades. TV fixed to wall in a wonky position. Looks like the bathroom had been recently refubished, but the shower door did not meet and as such the shower leaked over the bathroom floor. No bath mat to stand on after coming out of the shower. The shower head was not screwed on and when i put the shower on, most just leaked. I manged to undo and put together correctly.

Chair in the room was covered in stains to.

Breakfast was cooked to order and was nice, but very slow to arrive despite there being only 4 or 5 people in the retaurant.

Close to the centre of Edinburgh but perhaps you'd be fooled by the photographs on the web page as it looks pretty nice. My taxi driver said that it was used mostly by Stag and Hen parties, but there was no evidence of this when i stayed. Having said that it would suit that clientelle better.

Overall, due to poor housekeeping, it jaded my impression. Stayed in room 207.

2 Thank John C
AdamGray1, Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear John,
Thank you for leaving your comments regarding the reception team. I have passed your comments to them as they are always happy to hear guest feedback.
I am disappointed to hear that your room didn’t live up to your expectations and by the sounds of things my expectations of rooms within the property either. Please be assured that I have already been into the room and steps are in place to deal with the issues raised by you. If you wish to discuss your stay further, please contact me adam.gray@apexhotels.co.uk. Thank you for taking the time to provide the room number and other details as it allowed me to pin point specific issues within the room that were clearly a problem. Please accept my apologies that you were checked into this room as it is clear from inspecting the room following your stay that there were certain aspects of maintenance that had been overlooked.
In terms of our clientele, we attract guests in all markets, business and leisure and occasional stag or hen parties but this is not a regular occurrence, and we certainly are not a property that is aimed at the stag or hen market.
Thank you again for taking the time to leave us feedback.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had a one night stay in the Apex and there were two of us in the room. The hotel is quite central and very near Haymarket Station for the mainline railway and the new tram network. The room was clean and tidy, with nice bedding, colour co-ordinated, but the room was quite small. There was not a lot of space for two people to move around and there was limited hanging space in the wardrobe. Tea/coffee making facilities were provided and the room had an iron and ironing board, there was also a hairdryer. Nice bathroom with large shower but limited toiletries. We opted for a cooked breakfast but thought it was poor for £10.00.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide such useful and structured feedback regarding your recent visit to us.
I am disappointed to hear that your breakfast experience didn’t live up to your expectation. We receive compliments on our breakfast food and service regularly so this surprises me. It would be useful if you could provide me with some more information regarding your stay and I can look into this further. If you wish to do so, please contact me adam.gray@apexhotels.co.uk when you get a spare moment.
In our property, we appreciate that some of our rooms are smaller than others and have gone to the extent to sell some of our rooms as small doubles at a reduced rate from other rooms in the property. If you wish to contact me, I can note for any future stays that you request a larger room. As you said yourself, the room was lovely, just a bit small. We can arrange a larger room for you with no problems at all.
I do hope that your experience has not deterred you from staying with Apex Hotels again, and I hope you choose to stay with us again in the near future.
Dunoon
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Spent 3 nights recently for a conference at the far end of Princes Street. The trams made this an easy commute. This is a return visit for me. It is clean, comfortable and the staff are great. The car park is small but if you can get a space is really useful. Food was good and service very good. Only slight problem was the lift broke down on Friday evening but it was fixed a few hours later!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Maureen,
5 out of 5....what can I say? Thank for very much for your kind review of the Apex European Hotel following your recent stay with us.
I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and were able to be your base for your conference during your stay in Edinburgh. What did you think of the trams? We are a fan!
Apologies for any inconvenience with the lift failure – but I am glad you wrote that is was fixed shortly after. We strive to rectify any problems with service or facilities as soon as possible.
I hope you choose to stay with us again in the near future.
Best Regards,
London
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Spent 2 nights in the hotel. Small, but clean and comfy rooms, good breakfast, wonderful staff. No frills, but fantastic value for money. Walkable into the centre of Edinburgh, close to the train station and short bus journey to the airport. I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay and thank you for your comments regarding the staff. I have passed your comments onto the team who always welcome any guest feedback.
I am glad to read that you “will definitely return”. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Apex European Hotel in the future.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I slept better than I do at home, what more can I say... The room was clean and well laid out, the bed was comfortable with nice soft pillows and the atmosphere was fresh and cool. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2014
AdamGray1, Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Colm,
What a great title for a review - thank you very much for this.
I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and went to the extent of saying it is better than you sleep at home. That just means you will have to come and visit us more often!
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback regarding your recent visit to the Apex European Hotel and I hope I can welcome you back again soon.
Kind Regards,