“Could have been great but...”

Parliament House Hotel
Ranked #77 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 31 July 2012

The hotel itself is in great location and very pleasant and comfortable.
Low rating I'm giving here is due to the fact that, even though hotel offers complimentary WiFi, on arrival we've been told that it's been down for days.
Since I counted on the net connection on day to day basis, this was a huge downer and eventually cost me some money as well because I had to pay "walk in" rates for the next day stay in a different hotel.
We should have been warned about that in advance (since it's been down for days) and allowed to cancel the booking. They didn't even bother shaving few pounds off of the the quoted rate as a gesture.
Very poor customer service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zinek
Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I seek out places like this: a little different from your soulless chains, so you don't know what to expect until you're there. This one was pretty typical of the breed - a slightly chaotic layout of steps and corridors, a little frayed around the edges, but clean, comfortable and friendly. The room was not huge, but it had a decent workspace and was as large as I needed for an one night stay.

Didn't accept Amex, which was a bit of a hassle.

No opportunity to use the restaurant this time, but it's also convenient for a number of shops and restaurants around, so plenty of choice.

It's a little different, and full of character. Give it a try.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank shayg1971
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed here for one night. Location ideal for the train station. Efficient check in. Not very easy to locate your room- lots of steps, so not great fot the less mobile. Room was ok nice furnishings, clean but no outlook ( window covered with a piece of wood) didnt concern us much as it was a short trip with not much time spent in the room. If staying longer would ask for a change of room. Breakfast was ok. I would reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in July 2012. It is a 5 minute walk from the station but in the opposite direction to the shops etc. Waterloo Place, which is the easiest way to get to the hotel, is really just a continuation of Princes Street so the hotel is really easy to find. I was travelling on my own and when I booked I had asked for a quite room. I did get a quite room but it was up on the top floor via at least 8 flights of stairs with no lift, in the main building. There had once been a very old lift in the centre of the staircase but this has been removed and only the old cage exists which is an interesting 'feature'. It wasn't too much of a problem for me though as I don't like lifts anyway and my room was very quite, it even had a double bed although I'd booked a single. It was small but adequate, the bed linen was very clean but the carpet had not been vacumed and the bath had not been cleaned, but generally it was fine. There was a small fridge filled with drinks and small snacks. I arrived at the hotel at 10.45 am and was able to check-in and unpack before I headed for the shops which was great. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. I rang down for room service late one evening (about 12.30 pm) and ordered a cheese sandwich. It was delivered to my room in about 5 minutes and considering the number of stairs to my room, this was super quick service. The sandwich was fresh and very tasty. The lobby / reception area is old and quanit and it feels more like a country house than a hotel. There are nice comfy chairs and a fireplace. There is no actual bar but the reception staff serve drinks such as beer and wine. I enjoyed my staff and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Check the location of the room as you may have to lift heavy luggage up and down lots and lots of st...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jaynell
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This is a lovely hotel - I have stayed here a couple of times with work and am going back in August.

The rooms are clean, well decorated and the showers are to die for!

Breakfast is excellent - some guests were moaning a little about the speed of service but everything was freshly cooked and I would rather have that and wait myself.

I will return, this hotel is very well located. Just a short walk from all the attractions and history.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank sussexguy68
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We only stayed one night, our room & bathroom looked like they had been recently refurbished. It was only a 5 minute walk to the Waverley station which was ideal for us.
The only thing that was frustrating was our lift went up to the third floor & then we had to go down a Lon spiral staircase to our room which was really difficult with luggage.

Room Tip: Great location 5 minutes from the main train station.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Firstly the positives..... Great location!! Within metres of princes street. Our room was very clean.... However... It was down in the basement of the hotel, down a spiral staircase. There was only a small window that let very little natural light into the room. There was no light on the ceiling only little bedside lamps that I found very odd. Also made is very difficult to get ready to go out with such little light.

• Stayed: June 2012