“Great location, nice rooms, poor reception staff”

Parliament House Hotel
Ranked #77 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night - good location near to Waverley Station and Princes Street! On arrival we ended up at the bottom of Calton Hill so a mega, cobbled climb to the hotel followed - once we got our bearings we realised there is a much easier way via Waterloo Road! Surly reception staff who seemed surprised to have visitors directed us to our room - which was up two flights of stairs, along a corridor and then DOWN two flights of steep, spiral stairs - not for the faint-hearted as there is no lift! Room was nice although felt a bit like a dungeon as the tiny window let in very little light - could be claustrophobic especially if it was particularly warm outside! Nice bathroom, nice furnishings plus lovely breakfast - breakfast staff could teach reception staff a thing or two about customer service - the lady when we checked out was as surly as her colleague at check in. Would go again because of the location but would ask for a room that didn't require mountaineering!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed 21 September 2013

after staying in the hotel in august 2013 for two nights we would recommend this hotel to anybody ! we did have a slight problem but the manageress bent over backwards to help us ! exellant staff , lovely clean rooms, we booked three rooms this year and are so impressed we,ve booked six rooms for next year ! ps you,ll love the lift !

Room Tip: all rooms are exellant !
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank thediscobkid
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I have been throughout Europe and lodged in assorted rooms. For the most part, the rooms are small, the beds somewhat comfortable and the decor a bit on the drab side. But, this never became an issue when I factored into the equation the amount of time I spent in the room.

And then I stood at the Parliament House Hotel and it changed my perception of what a hotel should be like forever.

The rooms are soothingly decorated in style and taste. Nothing extravagant, mind you, but also they were cheery. What's more, the furniture was comfortable. The bed in my room was enormous! And that little stuffed dog on the chair? It made me smile then and now as I think about it.

The services the Parliament House provided were phenominal. The staff was gracious, well informed and more than willing to take on any request at a moments notice.

A highlight is the small, neatly tucked away, restaurant on the lowest floor. Warm and inviting, it was a quiet respite after a days shopping and sight seeing (did I mention that Princes Street was virtually a few minutes walk from the Parlimanet House?). I had the haggis and salmon and although not experienced enough to critique the food, they were certainly tasty. But, more important, was the service and friendly attitude of the wait staff. Bravo!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed here for one night with my daughter as we were going to the Playhouse Theatre to see a show. Firstly I would say not to even think about this Hotel if you are not fit enough to walk up the very steep hill to the Hotel. There is steps which you can use but they are just as bad. When you get to the Hotel, depending where your room is, there is no lift. Our room was clean and nice, but I would've thought for the price we paid they could've had put out some scottish shortbread to go with our wee cuppa. We found our bed a bit lumpy and not very comfortable. Breakfast was very nice and there was plenty to choose from.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The reason we booked Parliament House Hotel is the location to Waverley Station. This worked well for returning a hire car.
The room was small, I managed to put my suitcase in the cupboard, my husband's suit case beside his beside table and lugged a chair over to the window and pushed it back as far as I could, we could breathe; the room space still limited. The tv was archaic but the lovely girl at reception came and showed us how not to get a red screen. Other staff were very helpful and there was wifi freely available. As it was raining we attempted to go out, however we dined at the Bistro attached and it was excellent.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

When we arrived, having booked on a tip from relatives, we found that room we had booked (one of the better, more expensive ones in the property) was simply enormous. Well furnished, great views, near the train station, easy walk to both Royal Mile and New Town. Good value. Unfortunately the toilet leaked -- clean water from the point where the water went into the tank, but still, enough to be a problem. The desk staff, and especially a gentleman who i think was the assistant manager, worked assiduously to fix the issue. While a plumber was unavailable on the (all simultaneous) final weekend of the Tatoo, last days of the Fringe, and conclusion of the music and book festivals, they made it bearable. With every hotel in town fully booked, and Parliament House itself full too, they did what they needed to to make it work. I'll always remember the gentleman responding to my worry that he'd ruin the knees of his suit (by fiddling with the plumbing and a wrench) by saying that it was his job to do whatever it took to make our stay pleasant. PS: our rate included a private walking tour of the city, and the guide they arranged was terrific.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vincent1946
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Hotel in good location. Booked for 2 nights as visiting Edinburgh for Tattoo. Although clean, room was very small, probably too small for a double so was inadequate and my husband and I kept knocking into things. Also, small things like tea and coffee canister not being checked, what sachets in it were old and indeed one had split open and spilt. Also, no milk provided, so guessing room not checked for a while maybe. Also, breakfast not included and this was not value for money. Nor unfortunately was the room, it was very expensive for what it was. Appreciate did pay a premium for visiting during The Fringe period. Shame really, have visited Edinburgh 3 times previously and always had a pleasant all round experience, just a shame about the hotel this time. This was a special trip for us and it was spoilt a little by our stay here.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on basement level, maybe those on upper floors were better sized and had better view...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple