“Very nice, historic boutique hotel”

Parliament House Hotel
Ranked #77 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Quebec City, Canada
“Very nice, historic boutique hotel”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This historic hotel has nice and renovated rooms. It is also very well located, with walking distance from the Edimburgh Castle as well as the train station. Beds are very soft, which can be good or bad depending on where you stand. Staff is very nice. Only warning: the elevator has been decommissioned many years ago, so if you are on the 5th floor, this can be challenging for some.

Room Tip: Elevator has been decommissioned years ago. This can be challenging for those with lots of luggage o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights and will definitely stay here again next time we are in Edinburgh.
Although we didn't eat here at all, we found the staff to be helpful, the room was clean & well equipped... but the best thing was the bed... it has to be the most comfortable bed both my other half and myself had ever slept in!
The location is great, literally 2 mins walk and you are at Waverley Station.
The only slight downside was that our room overlooked the cobbled road and as we were on 1st floor we got some slight road noise as cars rumbled past, but nothing too much considering it's in a city centre location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeaSea1969
Reviewed 3 March 2014

What a lovely hotel. Close to the train station, so no trudging through the streets with suitcase in tow. On arrival the reception staff were very welcoming, allowing us to leave our cases as we were early. The rooms were perfectly adequate for our needs. We had an evening meal deal for the first night, but had to leave before we had had time for our sweets as we had booked a tour. On getting back to the hotel a couple of hours later, the waiting staff and kitchen gave us our sweets, even though they were ready to go home. All the staff were friendly, chatty and could not do enough for us. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Neilang
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel on Saturday 1 march 2014. What a great little hotel and really central to the main parts of Edinburgh at Calton hill. The hotel is 3 stars but I have stayed in 4 stars that we're not as nice as this one. The manager was very knowledgeable about the area and was happy to provide local knowledge and guidance of Edinburgh. Rooms were fine in line with any other hotel I have stayed in. If you are planning a trip to Edinburgh look at this hotel the decor and atmosphere was a delight.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie H
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel is absolutely fabulous! Arriving by train to Edinburgh Waverley the hotel is around 5 minutes walk away, tucked away at the end of Princes Street, off Waterloo Place.
We were greeted by very friendly and extremely helpful reception staff who couldn't do enough for us. All our requests were met with a smile and simply superb service. The lounge area is lovely, warm and welcoming and the perfect place to relax for a few minutes after a long day walking around Edinburgh.
We booked the room at a special offer rate which included breakfast and an evening meal in the adjoining Bistro. This included 3 courses. The meal we had was beautiful and plentiful (if not too plentiful!). We had fishcakes and mushroom soup to start, which were absolutely gorgeous. Then we had Belly Pork (very tasty!) and pepper and asparagus tagliatelle (a mountain of pasta in lovely sauce, just too much for one person!). We finished with Sticky Toffee Pudding which was as good as the rest of the meal. I would say though, that if it wasn't included in the room rate it may be just a tiny bit expensive - sides are extra -, but the food is fantastic.
Breakfast is also excellent, a choice of continental (fruits, yoghurt, muffins, croissants, pastries etc) and porridge and a cooked to order hot breakfast. Full Scottish was lovely, and meat and cheese plate was fantastic too. The staff were brilliant, constantly bringing more tea/coffee and toast if you wanted it. It was also no problem to request a different breakfast other than full Scottish or veggie Scottish. They were happy to just bring bacon and eggs one morning. Cheese and Meats were also available on request which was lovely, as it was made fresh rather than sitting on the buffet for hours! Again though, at £12.50 if the breakfast is not included in your room rate it is quite pricey - I'd recommend going out of the hotel for it as there are a lot of places to get breakfast for half that as you walk towards the Royal Mile. However, if it is included then definitely go for it!
The room was very comfortable but be warned - there is no lift. If you are on the top floor as we were it is quite a trek up the stairs - no problem for young, fit people like us, but definitely not suitable for those with any mobility problems. We also had an electric heater in our room, assuming that there was issues with the radiator - the first night it was very chilly as the heater didn't seem to be working very well, but after moving it to a different plug socket it worked properly and the temperature was much more to our liking.
There were just 3 small (and when I say small I mean tiny!) things that could have been improved. One being the size of the bath towels. They are no bigger than hand towels so if you are travelling with friends and want to wrap in a towel before dressing, take your own, or a robe. The second being the lighting in the bathroom. The light above the mirror had lost it's safety cover, and one of the three bulbs was broken and the fitting made a strange buzzing noise after being on a few minutes. The third is the shower screen. No matter what we tried to do with it, the floor always ended up soaked down the side of the bath. I'm not sure if it was the length of the screen or the seal that was a problem but it did make the floor quite slippy for a while afterwards. These things are very small and didn't really affect the quality of our stay (hence the excellent rating!) but just small things that would make the stay faultless if addressed.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and plan on visiting again towards the end of the year. Well done Parliament House!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quiet and have a lovely view over Calton Hill.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I found myself staying here by accident. My assistant messed up my booking at the Apex Waterloo leaving me without a room at 9pm at night. I managed to find a room at the Parliament House hotel at short notice and I have to say I would be happy to return for my future business visits. The hotel is fairly small and traditional but that adds to it's charm. The rooms are well appointed, clean and very and homely. Being winter, it was lovely and warm and the bed very comfortable. On the first night I had a problem with my tv. The tv was small and the picture was bright red. On the 2nd night when leaving for dinner, I mentioned it to the gentleman on reception. He was clearly on duty alone but said he would take a look if he had time. I returned a couple of hours later and my tv had been replaced with a large new flat screen tv. Breakfast was very nice and the serving staff were really friendly. I travel a lot on business and pleasure and usually stay in contemporary hotels. The Parliament House was a classic, relaxed and homely hotel and a welcomed change. I would certainly stay there again on my future trips to Edinburgh.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary P
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My first visit and this hotel was fabulous. 5 minutes walk from Waverley station, nice quiet location just off the Main Street, lovely homely entrance, reception nd lounge/bar area. Our room although on the top floor was very comfy, lovely and warm with good size bathroom all reached by lift or stairs if you were feeling fit. We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first evening, plenty of choice, excellent service and wonderful food, breakfast was a repeat performance. Just what was needed for a day sightseeing and walking to Murrayfield to watch England v Scotland rugby. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends .

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple