“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
St Neots, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Dunstane House is an excellent hotel with friendly staff, well appointed bedrooms and great food.

I was travelling alone on business and needed a hotel relatively close to the centre of Edinburgh. I got a decent price for B&B on Laterooms, and the hotel had good reviews on that site so I booked a double room for single occupancy.

When I arrived the smallish car park behind the hotel was full but I was able to get my car into the car park of the Dunstane City hotel which is just across the road (and is the sister hotel of Dunstane House).

Check in was easy and efficient and the young lady on reception provided a very warm welcome.

The room was excellent. Nicely decorated and spotlessly clean, nice big double bed, desk, flat screen tv with tons of channels, small bathroom with just a shower which is fine by me.

As I was on my own I chose to eat in the bar instead of the restaurant as it was more informal. The menu is the same. I started with some excellent plump mussels and followed up with a truly superb ribeye steak. The menu is limited but interesting and I'm told that most of not all of the produce is sourced in the Orkneys as that is from where the owners hail. Well wherever it comes from the chef does it justice and my steak was cooked to perfection.

The bed was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep with no discernible noise from either outside or inside the hotel.

Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and very good quality.

I would definitely stay at the Dunstane House hotel again and would happily recommend it to friends and colleagues staying in Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We booked a short two day break in Edinburgh and the Dunstane is a great place. Very clean superb decor and very comfy beds. Just check whether your price is room only or not because breakfast will cost extra. It's right in a bus route into town but only takes ten mins to walk and is a staging and easy route. Enjoy.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank restlessbentley
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the Dunstane House Hotel and its sister hotel (Dunstane City) every week for the past 10 months. I booked initially via LateRooms, but after being so pleased after my first week's stay I booked thereafter at their very good corporate rates.

Both hotels have beautiful interior and exteriors that are kept in very good shape, the Dunstane House being more traditional and the Dunstane City, more modern - both have their unique charms and I enjoyed my stays at both. The food in the restaurant is very good and the menu is changed quite regularly and caters to all. Most of all, I'll miss the staff - they really made me feel welcome when I was hundreds of miles from home and they do an excellent job - thanks guys!I

Room Tip: If you're travelling on business and a wifi connection is required, I found the signal slightly...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CityHotel, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2011
Thanks so much for your feedback Dan. We do hope to see you again soon - maybe for a holiday rather than business!

Best Wishes

Samantha and all the team
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

We stayed for three nights in Edinburgh and on purpose wanted to avoid one of the big hotels. My choice for the Dunstable was because of the conveniance for both parking and accessibility to the town centre.

The hotel is located just to the West of Princes Street. Three busses stop directly outside the hotel (12, 26 and 31) which all take you to the city centre without any problems. Easy to use transport maps are available in the hotel allowing you to see bus routes connecting to specific areas of the city. We just purchased a day ticket ( 3.20GBP ) which just allowed us to hop where ever we wanted to go. I should add busses are conveniant and comfortable. We live in India and have seen a lot of items transported on public transport so we were most amused by owners travelling on the bus with their well behaved pets!.

The hotel room was very comfortable, very clean, and the staff are friendly. Breakfast is excellent and we felt at home while staying there.

There is free parking available for upto about eight cars. If the hotel is full, parking might be a problem but we had no problems.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one night in June 2011. It is a lovely looking house from the outside, but inside it is dark and dare I say it, gloomy. The receptionist who checked us in was lovely, and it was nice to be greeted with such friendliness. Our room was very big, but the decor was extremely dated, which isn't a huge problem but it did make it very dark and difficult to ascertain if things were clean. However the bed was lovely and big which was nice as so many small hotels just shove two twins together. Unforunately though, our room was very hot and it was difficult to sleep because of this. Another problem with the room was that the bathroom was extremely small and a slightly strange shape, in sitting down on the toilet one had to be careful not to headbutt the handsink. Obviously it is easy enough to be careful and not do this, but one shouldn't have to. Also the extractor fan which came on when the bathroom light was switched on was extremely loud and took a while to switch off after the light was switched off. This was quite annoying through the night.
We ate in the little restaurant later after our check in, where our receptionist from earlier was now our very friendly waitress. There was one other table seated, so things were very quiet, thus when someone dropped something noisily in the kitchen we clearly heard it, and imediately after that we heard the chef go completely mental at whatever poor unfortunate had dropped something. When I say completely mental, I mean this man who I asume was the chef was screaming at the top of his lungs at whoever else was in the kitchen. We could hear all of it. Which was extremely funny for us to witness, but not in a good way for the hotel. We thought it showed a total lack of professionalism, and a lack of caring for the poor waitress who had to try and joke it away in the dining room. On top of this, the food was mediocre, I think because of the quality of ingredients as opposed to the skills of the chef. For example my mussels were cooked well in a lovely cream and wine reduction, but they obviously weren't fresh.
This hotel is a short walk from Haymarket which I think is its main appeal. Nothing about it stood out or was special in any way. Which is a pity because it has the setting and the architecture to be something much better than it is.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sarah B
Callander, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Spent two nights in Edinburgh and were so lucky to find the Dunstane City Hotel. Parked the car in the private car park and used the excellent bus service which stops right outside the hotel - also well within walking distance of the city centre. On our arrival the staff made us very welcome. Our room was spotless and very comfortable. The breakfast was first class - freshly made and a wonderful choice. Hope to stay again soon.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

We had a two-night stay in September. We thought the location was great--a 15 minute walk to town (and another 15 minutes into the Old City). It was in a quiet, residential neighborhood with free car park. The public rooms were very well maintained, as was our lovely 4-poster bed room (Room 1). The staff was very accommodating without being intrusive and both breakfast and dinner were excellent. If we're ever back in Edinburgh, the Dunstane House would be our choice again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CityHotel, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Thank you so much for your comments on your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you took advantage of one of our four poster rooms - they make the stay that little bit more special for you.

I hope we can welcome you to Dunstane again in the future

Best Wishes