“The Absolute Best!”
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #8 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I am not one for writing reviews, but I feel as if I must extol the many virtues of Dunstane House. I have traveled a lot, and I have stayed at some excellent hotels (Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, etc.). But I can honestly say that Dunstane House was one of THE BEST hotel experiences I have ever had in my life. The generosity and hospitality of the hotel staff, combined with the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms, and the sheer beauty of the property, made my stay unforgettable. If you go to Edinburgh, stay at the Dunstane - you won't be disappointed.

I am already planning my trip for next August...

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a friend and need 2 beds, ask for the deluxe room on the first floor with...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Johanna B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,431)

Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed at the Dunstane House Hotel last August and plan on returning next year. The hotel is very charming and the staff is friendly. The room was small but very comfortable. We went for the Fringe and found the hotel a nice distance from all of the noise. Unfortunately we did not have an opportunity to eat at the restaurant, but it looked very good. The lawn area is pleasant and its a great place to sit. Edinburgh is a lovely city and I was very sad when we had to leave. Looking forward to returning to Dunstane soon!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

This boutique style hotel is wonderful. Great staff and always willing to make the customer very comfortable. Sister hotel just across the street. Family run, so they know what it means to take care of you.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
CityHotel, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for your comments. We do try very hard to keep our customer service standards up to 5 star and it is good to know it pays off! We like to go the extra mile for all our customers to make their stay in Edinburgh and Dunstane memorable.

I hope we can welcome you again to Dunstane City

Samantha

Reviewed 28 August 2012

The House is better than the City for a business traveller that would normally have room service, as the City doesn't have room service. This was not pointed out beforehand. The restaurant is in the House, across one of the busiest roads in Edinburgh.

Even though I live, work and drink in Central London, I found the hotel bars amazingly expensive. Disappointed with the lack of draught beer.

The choice of the food in the restaurant was limited and the food was only average. Why does everything have to come from the furthest parts of Scotland?

When I arrived in the dining room, there were only three of us to deal with, but the staff were still slow at taking the order, then tried to deliver the wrong food and failed to clear the table. Service at breakfast was much better in the City "reception" area.

The specially designed hotel furniture had not been properly thought through: cables resting (or not) in a notch cut as an afterthought to allow the doors to close; sliding trays that couldn't slide out as the doors were in the way; electrical points that were inaccessible. Poor lighting (at least one light not working) for a room presumably designed for the business traveller. How do you expect someone to work in a room you can't read in? Otherwise, the room was of a good size and clean.

Room Tip: The House is better than the City for a business customer that would normally have room service, as...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
CityHotel, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with us about your stay at Dunstane City. I am sorry that your stay was not satisfactory for you, I can assure you that this is not our usual response from guests as you can see from previous reviews.

With regards to your first comment I think there must be some crossed wires somewhere as we certainly do offer room service at the Dunstane City hotel - all the details are in your guest folder in your room.

With regards to our produce in the restaurant, we source all our food primarily from the Highlands and Islands of Scotland as the owners of the hotel are from the Orkney Islands, thus giving our guests a taste of their roots and traditions. This is just the manner in which we have chosen to theme the restaurant and most of our guests do like the fact that we stick to local and Scottish produce to support our home industries and we do not import our products despite the higher cost to ourselves on occasion.

With regards to lightbulbs, I do advise guests to inform reception and they will be changed immediately - I am sure you understand that it is impossible for us to know if and when every lightbulb in the hotel goes out but we do keep all bulbs in stock so they can be changed immediately for you. This, I am sure, would have solved this problem.

If you would like to get in touch with me personally I would appreciate knowing what night you ate with us so I can look into who it was that served you in the restaurant and I can re-train them as necessary as this is not the standard of service that we provide in Skerries.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed for three nights in the Red room thanks to the upgrade. Suggest booking direct with them as my family member received nothing and we checked in together. Hotel is very nice and the staff is friendly. If you can afford to spend a little more do not book the single rooms. They are poorly decorated and very tiny compared to the rest. The red room is as pictured online and very spacious. Breakfast is very nice. You are able to order hot items from a menu which makes for a nice touch. Bus lines are very easy to use and are directly in front of the hotel. Location is not in the city center which makes dinner a bit more challenging however with the bus service no need to worry. Close to the airport and haymarket train station. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chicago8002

Hi there

Thank you for your lovely comments on your stay with us this month. Unfortunately as I explained on check in to you, because you and your family member booked under different names and through different websites I had absolutely no idea you were together and therefore one of you got the free upgrade. We do always try to upgrade families/groups together when possible.

I am glad you liked our new boutique four poster room and would be delighted to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Stayed at the Dunstane house hotel in may for the weekend of the marathon the wife was running I was watching, The hotel is superb the room we stayed was one of the the four poster bed rooms with a bay window the room wasn't small very spacious, The staff are really pleasant and will help you at all times, We had a meal in the restaurant the food was Excellent
We walked to princes street both days which isn't far, but if you don't like to walk there is a bus stop outside the front gate. We really enjoyed are weekend at the Dunstane house hotel

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello there

Thank you very much for your lovely comments on our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and especially the four poster luxury! I hope to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 14 August 2012

In March this year, my Partner and I stayed at the Dunstane City as there was an error with our booking at the Dunstane House. The way that it was handled was exceptional, and we were completely satisfied with the outcome. the room was lovely and the dinner at the Dunstane house was superb.
Will definitly refer this hotel to friends, colleagues and family without hesitation. Things happen and things go wrong, its how we handle them that makes the difference.

Santa P Sydney NSW