“Fantastic Find”
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #8 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed at Dunstane over the weekend of 21st and 22nd September, and had an superb and comfortable stay. The staff could not have been more helpfull and welcoming, going out of their way to please at all times. The room we had was very comfortable and cosy, with all necessary creature comforts. We used the airport bus both on arrival and departure which stops outside the hotel, and is virtually as good as a taxi service, and has wi fi aboard also. All local buses stop outside, so getting into city centre if you don’t want the walk is a 5 minute ride. We dined in Skerries Restaurant on the Friday evening, and I must recommend the seafood chowder which my wife had as starter, and the venison I had was the best I have ever tasted. A lovely atmosphere, in the splendour of the dining room of this grand Victorian building, which has obviously been recently refurbished with a contempary angle to the decor which works lovely. I must confess to using larger hotel chains when travelling on business, but when using a well run private establishment such as this, I will be having my secretary hunt the equivalent out when travelling next time – I must comment having read the previous report, we must have had the misfortune of encountering this rude guest. We pity the next hotelier that gets this one! All in all a fantastic stay at Dunstane House, and great to see a privately run operation working in perfect harmony. Whether back for business or pleasure, we I will certainly be staying again.
John Hyslop

Room Tip: Just ask the manageress she showed us what was available and went out of her way to get us the best...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,431)

Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights and left my car parked the entire time in the hotel car park. There is a bus right at the door on the Dunstane House side although I walked into the city centre because it was flat and easy. About 15 mins making the hotel in a good location. My room was small but cosy and very clean. The bathroom was modern but tiny. Staff friendly and helpful. If you want to dine in choose the house side rather than the opposite Dunstane City side as it has the restaurant. I had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Hello

Thank you for your review of the Dunstane. We are quite centrally located but also have the handy car park which is great if you need to leave your car. If you plan on visiting us again we do have a large variety of room types, the Executive Doubles and the Large Deluxe rooms are plenty spacious should you be planning on spending time in your room. Hope this helps!

Thanks

Samantha

Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

The hotel is gorgeous, relaxing, very inviting! The pictures online do not do it justice.
Hotel staff is amazing- say Hello to Samantha as she made our stay most memorable with he personal touch of remembering our names, and after ordering us a taxi asking how our dinner was the next day! Absolutely amazing!
After leaving and two days worth of meetings, replacing to head back to the US I realized I still have te key.
Upon calling Samantha was most gracious and did not sound angry! She's fabulously understanding and although I feel horrible for the mistake I'm grateful for her nice responses.
I plan on returning many more times.
The room was gorgeous! Everything I needed and much much more!

• Stayed: September 2012

Hi there

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments for others. I do hope they find them useful. I am glad you liked our personal style of service, we do pride ourselves on treating guests individually and making sure the whole stay is enjoyable for you. Thank you very much for sending the key back, dont worry that happens more than you would think!

I hope to welcome you again on your next trip to Scotland

Best Wishes

Samantha

Reviewed 28 September 2012

I stayed for two nights on a business trip. The welcome is wonderful and friendly and nothing is any trouble. Very comfortable room and the whole hotel decor is superb. Breakfasts and dinnner were beautifully cooked. It is close enough to the city for easy access but quiet at night. Fully recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2012

It’s not impossible to make this work ~ Just open the shower door and you’ll have plenty of room for your elbows should you like to lean over the bathroom sink to wash your face, but you shall not sit on the toilet and close the bathroom door ~ Impossible. Oh, the shower drain is slow, so be prepared to stand in your bath water. Also, if you have things to do in your room during the day, say, sleep… because you’ve traveled 16 hours and haven’t had sleep in a couple of days, dress warmly, the heat shall be turned off all day, so you may awaken freezing. Speaking of sleep, the matress is akin to an Army Barracks, I imagine. A couple more suggestions for those who dare brave this weird little place: bring your own coffee ~ theirs tastes a lot like McDonald’s... bitter beyond repair. And bring a flashlight; you’ll need it to enter the front door of building after dark. Apparently, electricity is not included! Note: I paid $150 per night U.S.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MizLeena
CityHotel, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Hello

I would like to respond to your horrible comments about our hotel. I myself was present and working front of house through out the whole of your stay and so am well aquainted with the situation.

Firstly I would like trip advisor readers to know that we went above and beyond in our efforts to make you comfortable during your stay despite your atrocious behaviour and your sometimes abusive attitude towads the staff. You arrived at the hotel early (9am) and wanted to check in. Housekeeping rushed to get your room ready and you were promptly checked in to which you slammed the door of your room in the face of the owner of the hotel who was trying to tell you when breakfast was served.

When you requested moisturiser we gave you some molton brown moisturiser free of charge (this is only normally complimentary in deluxe rooms) to which you again slammed the door of your room with a loud obnoxious scoff, this time in my face. This was entirely unecessary as I was filling your request prompty.

You requested the heating on throughout the day as you wished to spend your time in your room despite the lovely weather outside. We kept the heating on for you 24 hours during your stay, much to the discomfort of staff and other guests (we had to have some radiators disconnected in some guest rooms to avoid their discomfort.)

Finally, I deny your right to leave any comment about our hotel as you left this morning neglecting to settle your account.

I do hope readers see this review in the unfair light that it has been posted as our staff have on this point proven themselves to have exceptional customer service skills if they could continue to serve you to our high standards despite the obsticles.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I stayed 2 nights at the Dustane House in August.

Very nice common areas, very small room. I booked a single so I was expecting a small room.... and it was. The problem with these small rooms is that there is no place to put your suitcase. The other problem with this room was the bathroom. The squishy floor and smell of mold told the story of previous water damage. Another minor nit was that the mirror was not in front of the sink so you had to move to the right to shave.

The staff was helpful, breakfast OK. I didn't eat in the restaurant which is very well regarded.

The hotel is just outside of downtown about a 25 minute walk. There is a bus stop directly in front of the hotel were you can get on buses going downtown or to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2012

After a very ordinary experience staying at Banchory, this was excellent - staff very friendly and helpful, food first-class and whole place spotless. Buses into town literally outside hotel every few minutes. Very useful to be able to leave hire car there until next day's afternoon flight.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple