“Great Stay, Excellent Property”
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #13 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Toronto, Ontario
“Great Stay, Excellent Property”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this lovely property. First class, great breakfast, extremely comfortable quarters. The room was very cold and we could not get it warmed up, but other than that, everything was great. The location was probably a 15 minute walk to the "action", which was just fine with us as it gave us some good exercise every day and we enjoyed the walk. Free parking was a bonus!

Room Tip: We chose the upgraded King room and did not regret it.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Downham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I chose this hotel due to the reviews on Tripadvisor and I was not disappointed. We were a group of 6 adults and we stayed three nights. The rooms were wonderful - although not sure about the mirror above the bed in our room! The staff could not have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Booking taxis, recommending an excellent Indian restaurant, telling us the best places to visit. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and it was fantastic. Lovely local food. The only improvements would be for a larger bar area for guests to sit in during the evening and in the morning the restaurant was a little cold. But neither of these things would put me off booking again. Such a great location, airport bus stops right outside the hotel as do all the buses into the city centre - just remember to have the exact money as the drivers do not give change.

Room Tip: We had the three large delux rooms. Booked direct with the hotel for a much better deal. Our room wa...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank fonzoroll
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Hello

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope your friends didnt get the 'best' room this time by accident like they always do! I hope all your rooms were to the same standard for you!

I have turned the heating up in the restuarnt for you for next time!

Thanks

Scotland
Reviewed 4 December 2012 via mobile

Had a great night at this lovely hotel, great location for Edinburgh city centre. The room was lovely, beautifully decorated and spotless. There is free off street parking - a bonus for an edinburgh hotel. I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed December 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I booked this hotel based on its rating on Trip Advisor because I am sick of getting to places that are either badly located or provide me with the worst night's sleep - especially when you consider the prices you pay for some hotels.

The Dunstane City Hotel ticked a lot of boxes for me:

Service: This was wonderful. I was greeted by a very friendly woman at check in, was assisted by an equally friendly woman when booking a tour and had a pleasant experience overall with all staff. I never had any problems and any question I had was answered. Even when I was ill-prepared regarding the booked tour and called the hotel in a panic to find out where the bus left from, the woman called the company, made sure that she called me back to advise where they were and also ensured that I was on the bus. I cannot fault the service at all.

Location: It was about a 15 minute walk into the city centre where you could gain access to the castle, rows and rows of shops and the hustle and bustle of the Royal Mile and George IV Bridge Rd, along which sits the famous Elephant House cafe and Hotel Missoni. Directly outside the hotel is a bus stop that links you wherever you like in the city and the Airport Express goes from the same stop. Haymarket Rail Station is also only about a 5-7 minute walk up the road.

Sleep Quality: this was just superb. I have trouble sleeping and have found some hotel beds ridiculously uncomfortable. When I got in to this bed, I had trouble staying awake, even falling asleep (and staying asleep!) at the relatively early hour of 10:45pm. I was so impressed with the comfort of the bed. There were also extra blankets and pillows if required.

Cleanliness/Comfort: the rooms were well presented and well cleaned. The bathroom was impeccable and the room was very comfortable. Of note to those who this would concern is that there is no in-room safe - valuables must be handed in at reception or taken with you.

Value: overall I would say this is good value for what you get. There is free WiFi and limited parking available on site (I did not have a car but I did take note of this). Breakfast was included in my room rate and was a good selection of continental and hot breakfast. For those of you who wish to take a taxi to or from the airport, in mild traffic this only cost me £15.

Overall: I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Hello

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review of your stay with us. I am delighted that the staff made you feel so welcome and that you enjoyed your experience in the hotel and in Edinburgh itself. I do hope to welcome you back with us some time in the future.

Best Wishes

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 December 2012

This hotel is a gem. The old external style has been well renovated inside but still keeps the original feel. The breakfast is fantastic, freshly made and excellent quality. The ladies at front desk are most helpful.

The only let down is the distance from the Royal Mile 30 minute walk, however if you want peace and quiet and the nicer restaurants in town, the area is convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. We do try and Dunstane to be as helpful as possible and while unfortunately we cannot change our location we can certainly do our best to serve and guide you as best we can!

Hope to welcome you again soon!

Thanks

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We were staying in a small hotel which, unknown to us at the time of booking, did not serve dinner. However the reception recommended the Dunstane House which was right across the road. We had an excellent meal accompanied by a very acceptable bottle of wine. The price was a little high but the quality of the food, wine and service along with the pleasant surroundings made the whole an enjoyable experience and worth recommending to all.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Hi there

Thank you very much for your review of Skerries. Hopefully next time you would like to try some of our accommodation as well!

Thanks again

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We visited Edinburgh for the weekend, mainly because we had tickets to see Scotland v. New Zealand at Murrayfield. The hotel is about 10 minutes away, and very convenient for the stadium. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The room, though a little on the small side was scrupulously clean and well equipped. The bathroom was immaculate. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and was delicious! We had an evening meal at the Skerries (sister hotel over the road) and again the food was of a very high standard. The hotel is opposite a bus stop with the ride into town taking about 10 minutes and Haymarket station is only a 5 minute walk away. We would definitely stay here again although we would book a larger room next time.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi there

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on our hotels.

We are lucky to be so convenient for our guests staying over rugby fixture weekends and I do hope we see you again next time you are up supporting the boys! Maybe you can try one of our superior rooms next time for more space?

Thanks again