“Great hotel with excellent service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #13 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great hotel with excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

My wife and I stayed for the weekend 15th - 17th March to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Everything about the hotel was great - close enough to walk into town (if you feel like a bit of exercise), lovely decor, our room was great, bed comfortable, breakfast good, whisky bar (and late night service) exceptional, staff really friendly. We really liked the hotel. I've never actually been back to a hotel before, but I reckon we'll be back to this one.

Room Tip: We went for one of the deluxe four poster rooms as a treat and we weren't disappointed.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richroom101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed for the 2 day Whisky tasting break. We enjoyed a wonderful stay in a fabulous hotel.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
It was extremely good value for money and our meal in the Skerries restaurant was fantastic.
The food was really excellent .
Would very much recommend to friends
And would definitely stay again.

Terry and Cath McGrath

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your Whisky Break and should you wish to come and see us again we do have a variety of other breaks available for you to sample the best that Edinburgh has to offer!

Please contact me should you require any information about this

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

We booked the hotel due to reviews on trip advisor and they didnt let us down. Only checked in today for 2 nights but we already love it. Room is spotless, bed is huge and comfy, staff are helpful and friendly and the decor in the room is amazing! Only a 10 min bus ride to the zoo and to the heart of the city! Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2013
Miesbach, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

The hotel is easy to find, with a bus stop right before its garden entrance.
The staff were very nice and helpfull and the hotel is just beautiful (nice restoration work btw!).
The breakfast was included in our rate and I tried everything I could, and it all tasted amazing.
And our room... Very romantic, with a four-poster bed... I loved it and my boyfriend even more!
Definitely a place to return to!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi there

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, I am so pleased you enjoyed yourselves. We hope to see you again soon.

Turriff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

On first appearance, this hotel seems OK.
First appearances can, of course, be deceptive.
On arrival, despite specifically requesting parking facilities when we booked, we found out they weren't available and had to park on the street a distance away.
The room was small and not particularly well furnished - despite having been recently refurbished.
The bar is tiny with uncomfortable seats and a rather poor choice of beers.
The food is reasonably cooked but don't expect much. Order steak and chips and that is all you get. No vegetables, except for a few green salad leaves.
We went there as we we were attending a rugby match ( Scotland v Wales). On the day of the match, the hotel behaved appallingly to those of us who were paying to stay there. They crammed the bar, which is small, with as many people as possible. It was so overcrowded that it was almost impossible to move in the corridor and to get upstairs you had to navigate past drunks sitting on the staircase.
In the evening after the match the situation got worse. The bar was once again crowded out with people to whom the management continued to serve alcoholic beverages, despite the fact that some of them were so intoxicated they could hardly stand or talk.
Dinner was basically the normal menu, but set at a fixed price. This resulted in a meal that had cost around £30 on Friday night, suddenly costing £39 on the Saturday night. And what do you get for this increase of around 30%? Exactly the same food, but the pleasure of dining to the background noise of drunken shouting - and let's not forget the reveller who tried to enter the dining room because they couldn't distinguish between it and the bar.
The staff, far from trying to deal with the problem, actually seemed to encourage it.
Rarely have I wanted to leave a hotel as much as I wanted to leave this one.
The management didn't seem to care about the paying guest,.
It was a shockingly bad day and enough to ensure I will not return or recommend this establishment.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Al S
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor. I am sorry that your experience with Dunstane House was not up to your expectations, I can assure you that this is not the general opinion, even during rugbies as you can see from the reviews below.

I would like to address a couple of points if I may. Firstly the car parking. We do not, and never have, reserve spaces for guests. It is first come first served and the on street parking is free of charge and perfectly secure. Most of our guests understand the importance of arriving early at the hotel on busy weekends to guarentee a parking space. Our staff are also on hand to help you find somewhere to park if you come to reception on arrival. This avoids all problems that occur from busy car parking on busy weekends.

Our food is sourced from the highest quality produce and cooked freshly to order, so whist perhaps not being to your taste, is superior to many hotel restaurants. And as potential guests again will see from other reviews is well received and a definate plus for the hotel.

Rugby weekends at Dunstane are always busy affairs and whilst we do allow outside people in the bar, our focus is never off our residents and we always provide them top service which we pride ourselves on. Residents do not have to queue for the bar they can request drinks to be brought to them from reception and residents get first option for tables in the restaurant. We always send out pre stay emails to all guests advising them of events that are on in the hotel and inviting them to pre book the restaurant so as to avoid disappointment.

With regards to your complaint about drunk people, we are required by law to have door staff on when our capacity increases and at no point during the weekend were we in breach of our licensing regulations.The staff were not ignoring the problem, on hearing your complaint the waitressin question came to me to report it and i sent the door stewards around the bar area checking everyone for intoxication. The people in the bar were merely singing their national anthems which to be honest is part of the atmosphere on a rugby weekned that most guests enjoy.

May I suggest in future that a hotel further away from the heart of the action is more suited to your tastes, it is impractical to book a hotel so near to the stadium and expect a normal peaceful weekend. Once again my apologies.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

My bf and I on the very last minute have decided to go to Scotland for my first ever snow experience. I am so amazed that aside from the snow experience that I had and the lovely scenery that everyone is expecting, staying in this hotel was a very nice bonus to our trip!

From the UK we took a plane to Scotland, arrived at inverness, spent an awesome day there! we rented a car so it was really an adventure. Fun and tiring and FUN FUN FUN indeed. We stayed in an ok hotel at Aviemore then the next day travelled to Edinburgh.

You can just imagine how tired we were so when we arrived at Edinburgh and found this hotel we were both shocked to find how nice it was. It was not modern at all which was what I was really hoping for. I felt like I was in those old English movies! I sooo like! It was so elegant! An added extra was the very lovely receptionist there who told us the we got upgraded for a bigger room! Oh my, we were so happy and felt that were like the luckiest travellers at that point of time. haha!

The breakfast was really fantastic. The extra stuff that they provided such as tea, coffee, chocolate, soaps, lotions etc etc etc were also great! What more can I say. This is the best hotel experience ever! I really wish I can visit Scotland again and definitely will stay here. No questions asked.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissEllaine
Thank you for your lovely review. I am please you had a good stay with us and if you every wish to come back again please just me know.

Stafford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

We where very surprised to get reasonably priced accommodation on an International rugby weekend and than it was fantastic too....It was on the way to the stadium so we could soaked up the atmosphere just a stones throw away from the rugby and watch everybody walk past. The rooms where brilliant and we experienced a poster bed with ceiling mirror for the first time. The food was well prepared and the breakfast fit for a king. Will be definitely staying there again when we go back to Edinburgh

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi there

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on your stay with us over the rugby. I am so pleased you found the atmosphere to your liking and made the most of our convenient location to Murrayfield. I hope to welcome you back again for next year's six nations.