“Comfort and excellent service”
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #13 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Comfort and excellent service”
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

I cannot fault this wonderful hotel, which provides good quality comfortable accommodation near to the Haymarket area of Edinburgh. The path from the road leads up through a well kept garden which provides a pleasant area to sit out on a fine day. On entering the front door it is obvious that care has been taken in the choice of furnishings and decor which is to a high standard. My room had a large comfortable bed, well appointed furniture and the en-suite shower must rate as one of the best power showers I have ever used! I was made to feel welcome on arrival and was personally shown to my room. I have eaten in the restaurant two nights in a row and intend to do so again on my last night. The food is of excellent quality and well prepared and cooked. The staff are all very personable and helpful and their level of service second to none. I have enjoyed chatting to the barman over a couple of drams... I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay in Edinburgh celebrating our first wedding anniversary. I chose the dunstane city hotel after scouring the internet for hours not realising it was the beginning of the Edinburgh fringe festival and so hotel prices were up and I was looking at paying £150 per night just for a premier inn, so when I came across this boutique hotel for the same price I booked it straight away! We were greeted by a very friendly lady who was more than happy to help us with planning our journey into and back from lieth where we were booked into a restaurant that night, and booked us a taxi, and showed us to our room. Our room was quite a bit smaller than what I had expected from the pictures on the website and I probably wouldn't call it boutique, but it was nicely decorated and very clean, with a nice light spacious bathroom. The bed was only a double but was comfy with nice pillows, and I liked the nice big fluffy towels provided, and the nice toiletries. There was also tea and coffee facilities, a hairdryer and bottled water in the room each day. We were in a downstairs room and so unfortunately did get some noise from the room above which obviously is beyond the control of the hotel staff so we didn't make a fuss about it! breakfast on the morning was perfectly nice and we were served by another very helpful lady who also kindly charged my phone up for me later on in the day! On the second night of our stay we were pretty tired so decided to just eat in the hotel restaurant over the road at the dunstane house, 'skerries'. It was very nicely decorated but had a pretty laid back atmosphere (some of the other diners were wearing shorts and even baseball caps!) I think they may have been slightly understaffed as there was only one lady and one young man serving and they seemed to be run off their feet and so service was a little slow but still very polite and friendly. I ordered the seafood chowder for my starter which was very tasty but only had haddock and mussels in it, I was expecting a little more 'seafood'! my husband ordered the duck liver parfait which was also nice but was more like a pate and we had to ask for extra bread for it as it wasn't served with anything to spread it on! For my main course I ordered the braised beef shin which was extremely tender and tasty and was served with perfectly cooked asparagus and potatoes, my husband ordered the beef burger which was nice, I think home made and served with home made chips but could have maybe done with some relish and was a little over priced at £12.95. We didn't have a dessert as we were pretty full as the portions were quite large. Breakfast in the hotel the second morning was again very nice, and check out was very fast and efficient. I would certainly stay in this hotel again but would maybe just ask for a different room, it's a good 10-15 minute walk into town but is a straight and easy walk and there is a bus stop right outside with buses running into town every ten minutes. I feel the hotel is quite fairly priced for being in a big city, the drinks at the bar are a little expensive but not ridiculous, and the staff are some of the nicest I've come across.

Room Tip: ask for an upstairs room!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Hello

And thank you for choosing us over the other hotels you found online! I am pleased you had a good stay. You are correct, some rooms are quieter than others and we cannot always help noise from other guests although we will do our best with this if it is reported to us. I am pleased you found the staff friendly and helpful we do aim to provide top notch customer service in both our hotels.

With regards to your meal, I am pleased you found it enjoyable for the most part. With regards to pricing I am afraid we are pretty much on a par, if not cheaper, than a lot of places in Edinburgh - city pricing I am afraid! But I am glad the taste proved worth it.

Thanks again

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Definitly worth a stay! The staff is moe than helpfull, the location is a beautiful 20 min walk from the city center - the breakfast is wonderful - and made on the spot - fresh and hot :)
The only "but" is the small room. It was spotless, with wonderful big bathroom though.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My wife and I spent the last 3 nights at the Dunstane House Hotel and this place is an absolute must! Upon our arrival we were stunned by the picture perfect exterior of the hotel and subsequently bowled over by the beautiful interior and decoration. The staff are delightfully friendly, courteous and nothing is too much.

The food and drink is sublime. We ate in 'The Skerries' restaurant on the first night and thoroughly enjoyed our 3 courses. I had the steak and it was cooked to perfection. My starter (duck liver parfait, cured meats and pickles) and desert (chocolate pave') were simply to die for!

Our room had recently been refurbished and was stunning! Gorgeous colours and furnishings and exceptionally clean.

When choosing your hotel in Edinburgh, pick this one, you will not be disappointed.

A couple from London and N. Ireland

Room Tip: Ask when your room was refurbished as they appear to be upgrading rooms on annual rotation.
Hi there

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on Dunstane and Skerries. I am so pleased you had a memorable stay and do hope we can see you again in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Our party of 4 adults was conveniently accommodated in 2 adjacent rooms.

The 2 rooms were absolutely gorgeous with clean and brand new bathrooms.
The staff were professional and friendly. Breakfast were very nice too.

The only constructive feedback we wish to add is that more available drinking water would be great as there is no mini-bar in the room. A small bottle for 2 is not much.

All the rest was great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter_Euskadi
Hello there

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Just so that other customers are not confused..more bottled water is available on request at reception should you need it and the bottles are replenished by house keeping every day. Also as we are fortunate enough to be in a country where tap water is drinkable putting in multiple bottles is not often necessary - we would rather use the space for extra goodies like the Tunnocks Tea Cakes in deluxe rooms!

Hope this clears things up

London
Reviewed 4 July 2013

A few years ago I stayed at the Dunstane House Hotel, which was fantastic, so when I returned I decided to check out the Dunstane City Hotel, just over the road. It was fantastic too. The decor is stylish and modern (boutique style), the breakfast was great, and the staff smoothly dealt with a hiccup over the booking. The hotel is a short walk away from Haymarket, so not in the centre, but this suited me fine. From my research, it is also pretty reasonable compared to city centre hotels, so you get a boutique hotel experience without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: I was on a budget so chose a single room. It was bijoux, but that was what I was expecting.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hi there

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased we were able to offer a package that was suitable to your needs, we do offer a wide variety of deals, late offers, packages and add ons to suit all tastes so hopefully there is something there for everyone!

I am looking forward to meeting you again soon

Troon
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to everyone. I always check trip advisor before making reservations and this is the first time I have felt the need to share my experience. From someone who expects perfection from the word go this hotel certainly ticked all the boxes for me.
Short walk into city centre and flat shoes a good idea, not normally what I would wear so you could always put heels in your bag!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello there

Thank you so much for leaving such lovely comments to share with other travelers. I am delighted that we were able to leave a good impression on you, we do pride ourselves on our personal service and attention to detail.

I do hope we are able to welcome you again