The Dunstane Hotel
US$375
US$334
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
  • Room Service
US$245
US$221
  • Pool
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$108
  • Bar/Lounge
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$152
1,453 results
All reviewsskerries restaurantmolton brown toiletriessister hotel across the roadcity centremain buildingboutique hotelluxury roomlovely hotelbus stop rightfour poster bedminute walknespresso machinehaymarket stationkippersbusy roadhonesty barbreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Run like a very classic, high quality boutique inn, with the following pros and cons:
1. Super clean. Nothing anywhere that made your mind wonder.
2. Very fresh. The paint, carpet, furniture, mattresses, etc felt very fresh.
3. Very friendly. Run and owned by a husband and wife team. The wife was out front with clients and always made you feel welcome.
4. Great restaurant. We weren't going to eat there during our two night stay but she enticed us to our first night and it was delicious. I had the lamb burger and wife had fish and chips. Both were great, but the edge goes to the fish and chips simply as the best we have eaten anywhere. Large enough that my wife offered me a couple of bites and I really wanted more! The morning breakfasts were perfect and filling...service excellent also. We ate dinner our second night on the royal mile and really were wishing we had eaten at the hotel again.

5. Location good. On a main rain, in safe and reasonably quiet area with bus stop close to hotel. We walked one night and rode bus in the next. Recommendation is to get the day pass for the bus and know you will get plenty of walking in around town. 5 min bus ride in and probably 20-30 min. Walk. Safe and nice, but take the bus.
6. Parking. Yes. Tight at times but free which is very important in this town. No dings or dents on car.
7. Super cozy. Ok we are a fairly young retired couple in mid 50s so we do try to watch our dollars, £s and €s closely so I tend to book lower cost rooms in what I think are above average hotels. We were in the smallest in this case since at the first of our trip, always thinking to end nicer towards the end of the trip. Smallest room, twin beds, shower only. Generally I would assume that I would want to run out of there given our nice home etc, but we truly enjoyed even this little cubbie of a room. Even the soaps used for the shower were superior quality. Beds were very comfortable.

Okay, so no place is perfect. So my only two wishes were they might find a way to provide help with luggage up to that third floor...and make it stop raining when taking luggage to and from cars. Thank you for a great start to our trip. When we return we will not look elsewhere to stay if these two still own this hotel. Great job guys!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Hi Carl,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a super review of the Dunstane Hotels. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and have found all aspects to be of such a high level. I will ensure that all of your kind words are passed on to the team. Everyone at Dunstane takes a very personal interest in creating memorable experiences for our guests - so I'm sure they will be thrilled to hear your comments.
We do have a member of staff on duty that could have helped you with your bags. Next time, please don't hesitate to call us and we can help with any bags.

We hope to see you again soon - hopefully without any rain!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have travelled to Edinburgh for a short break on four occasions. I normally stay at Dunstane House Hotel and I stayed there last year for my honeymoon. So, for our first wedding anniversary I decided to give its sister hotel a go. Dunstane city did not disappoint. I had booked a classic room initially but when we arrived I asked if there was any chance to pay extra and upgrade to a larger room. The hotel staff were great and said that there was a larger room available. The room was fantastic with its high ceilings and beautiful décor. The room was exceptionally clean. The bathroom was beautifully decorated with quality fixtures and fittings. The complimentary Molton Brown toiletries were also an added bonus!

The breakfast was excellent with a good buffet selection and also an array of hot dishes on offer. All of them cooked to order using high quality ingredients. I cannot fault any of the food which we had during our three night stay.

Dunstane City is everything a Boutique hotel should be and the room rates do not break the bank. I really enjoyed my stay and I am sure I will return in the near future.

Room Tip: Room 203 is fantastic. Lots of room and the décor is lovely
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of Dunstane Hotels!

I am thrilled to hear that you return year on year to the Hotels, especially for such special occasions. The Dunstane city is slightly more contemporary in style and in appearance, which does suit many people. It is difficult to believe - but both of the hotels were actually both built c.1852!
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the staff on duty at your check in. I'm sure they will be extremely happy to have added to the enjoyment of your stay in Edinburgh.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We have stayed in Edinburgh numerous times before and normally book more centrally situated hotels. We decided on the Dunstane partly as a result of seeing the reviews on here and it was well worth it.

According to the staff at check-in we were in one of the newly refurbished rooms in the hotel. It was spacious and warm with very contemporary and elegant styling. The bed was huge and comfortable, the bathroom compact and spotlessly clean.

The staff were generally helpful and the service generally good.

We had both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. The choices on the a la carte menu looked good but there were some complicated and unusual combinations amongst them. The food we had was hot, well cooked and enjoyable to eat but some of the flavour combinations were possibly more fussy than they needed to be. Breakfast was well cooked but the hot and cold choices were a bit limited.

The hotel has car parking on site (another reason for choosing it) and is probably a little too far to walk into town (especially with the roads being dug up for the new tram system at present). It was worth the price we paid and is somewhere we would probably stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Hi Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Dunstane Hotels.

I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience in the hotel. Our award winning housekeepers take great pride in their work, and I am sure that they will be glad to hear your kind comments.
Our menu has recently changed and has since had many positive reviews. The Head Chef has focused heavily on fresh fish and Scottish beef. The kitchen are always happy to adapt any recipe to meet your requirements too. The cooked breakfast menu does have a list of items that you can pick and choose from, and a large selection of all the continental items.
We are very fortunate to have a free car park considering we are so central. The city is under severe construction for the introduction of the trams next year. We would always recommend leaving the car at the hotel and hoping on the bus from the stop at the end of our driveway.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to your return in the new year.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I enjoyed a three day sightseeing trip to Edinburgh and this hotel was the icing on the cake. I stepped off a train from the lake district of England to a five minute walk to this hotel! I never needed public taxi's as it was a twenty minute walk to Princess street and area attractions. The best part was that after jam packed sightseeing all day I was relieved to return to a wonderful dinner at the hotel each night and off to a quiet night's rest. I was refreshed to go the next day after a lovely breakfast in the dining room. Since I was traveling alone, I didn't need the key provided fo me in case I wanted to return after the main doors were locked. The staff was very helpful even charging my iPad as I didn't have required equipment.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at the Dunstane house. It was a special occasion being our 31st wedding anniversary.
We could not have been happier with the choice of accommodation. Just a short walk to the center of town for views of the Castle on the rock.
We had both Breakfast and dinner there also. A very hearty Scottish breakfast and top class evening meals.
The room was very spacious and comfortable. WIFI access was good and fast. The 4 poster bed was huge and very comfortable. but we did have to remove some blankets as it was quite warm.

I would not hesitate to stay here again and hope to if we can return there for another holiday.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Cliff,

Thank you for choosing Dunstane Hotels for such a happy occasion. It was a pleasure to share such a large occasion with both of you.
I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations with the Luxury Four Poster room. The bedrooms are all very spacious and luxurious, especially considering our location.
I will pass on your kind comments to the kitchen staff who have been working on the menu for several months.