“Beautiful room brilliant staff”
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #12 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Abertillery, United Kingdom
“Beautiful room brilliant staff”
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 2 for four nights, I booked the room as a surprise for my my fiancé for Christmas and since I booked the room I had been in contact via email as well as phone with the hotel staff, they couldn't do enough for me. It's a beautiful hotel and I would 100% return. The staff held our bags for us as we arrived before check in, they also held our bags for a few hours after we checked out. All staff were amazing really friendly and always happy to help.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hi there JadeCC_90

What lovely photos - thank you so much for sharing those! Our luxury rooms are fantastic and I am so pleased you made the most of yours with the indulgence package! What a great Christmas present - your boyfriend must feel very spoiled!

Lets hope that he returns the favour next year and you get to come back and see us again! Try a different Four Poster room - maybe the Red Room for a bit of a modern twist on our luxury rooms!

Hope to welcome you again
Samantha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. Rooms were very nice and tastefully decorated. Breakfast was excellent. All staff very aware and attentive as well as friendly and all had smiles on their faces which makes your experience more relaxing. Walked to and from the city from hotel no problem. Recommended.

Hello Catastrophicend

Our smiley staff are always delighted to be mentioned by guests on Trip Advisor! It makes their day so thank you for that. Please come and see us again soon - maybe try the Skerries restaurant this time! I promise the staff in there are just as friendly!

Best wishes
London
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My room was small but perfectly formed and very clean. There is something special about this hotel, the staff were very friendly and the food excellent. As a lone female on a business trip, I felt comfortable to just sit in the bar on my own and chat with the staff. A small, intimate hotel. Will definitely stay again when next in Edinburgh.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Londonlw

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave comments on your stay. I am so pleased our staff made you feel comfortable and welcome - they love an excuse to get to know our guests and they would love to keep you company while you relax!

We hope to see you again - if you found the classic rooms a little on the small side why not try the deluxe - we do offer discounted upgrades on check in if they are available so just ask us!

Thanks!
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Situated on one of the main arterial roads into the city from the West, and only about 15 minutes walking time from Princes Street, friends had recommended the hotel for a Saturday night B&B in Edinburgh to enable us to attend a formal function in the city centre.

Because of my mobility and that it didn't have a lift, we had asked for a ground floor room. Well we were given the "blue" room next to entrance, which is just a bit special and unlike most city centre hotel rooms I've seen. Spacious room, big twin beds, bid "wing-back" chairs to relax in, a walk-in [which I wasn't expecting] power shower plus a bath, free Wi-Fi, all the mods-cons you could wish for, and a late check-out on the Sunday. No pool or leisure facilities as the building is an old house.

The on-site parking was limited, and, very surprisingly, didn't have a dedicated "blue badge" parking bay. That may be more due to Edinburgh's intense dislike of the car rather than the hotel.

It's not cheap, but you do get more than you pay for, plus very attentive and considerate staff.

Room Tip: As always, make any special needs known to the hotel when you book. The great majority will always t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Les M
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Les M

Thank you for reviewing us here for future guests - so many people use Trip Advisor but so few bother to leave reviews of their own. You are entirely right it is definitely worth asking if you have any special requirements as the majority of the time we are able to accommodate most special requests. Our blue room in particular is a personal favourite of most guests....and I am so pleased you got the benefit of it!

Please let us know if you are coming again and we will get the same room organised for you!

Best Wishes
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had a one night stay at the Dunstane this week and we were very impressed with the whole experience. The staff were excellent, food lovely, room spotless, great location... a perfect break. Easy walking distance to Princess Street too. Quite how anyone can be negative about this Hotel beats me. A big thank you to all staff and hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Toonser

What a wonderful way to start the week reading your review! Thank you so much for that glowing write up - the staff will be so happy when I feed it all back to them.

Please let us know if you are coming again and we would be delighted to see you back!

Thanks again!
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights over a weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. From the wonderful welcome to a lovely room (we were in the second building across the road), the delicious dinner and tasty breakfasts! The hotel was in a great location too, close enough to the centre but not in the centre. Overall we really enjoyed the stay and will definitely stay at the Dunstane when we visit Edinburgh again.

Yorkshire
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I had booked the w/e at this hotel as a special treat for my husband and my daughter & her boyfriend. The two men had also got tickets for the rugby (Scotland v France) at Murrayfield.The location was good, an easy 15 minute walk to Princes St and short walk to Murrayfield, and parking was available at the hotel. The two classic rooms & en-suite bathrooms, both on the 3rd floor, were much smaller than expected, but had everything we needed in them. The bedrooms and the hotel were very clean. (Note - it would be nice to have fresh milk available to have with drinks in the room; hate UHT milk!)
Breakfast on the first morning was fine, though only a couple of dry croissants available, (thought there would be a better selection of pastries!) and the toast was cold when brought to our table. As I don't like cooked breakfasts, I look forward to having fresh fruit, pastries and hot toast.
We spent most of the daytime in the city centre, great atmosphere with all the visiting French supporters. On our return to the hotel, late afternoon, for the men to get ready to go to the match (ko 5pm) neither of our rooms had been serviced. We found the cleaner and asked her to do our room while we waited. We had to sit on the upstairs landing as the whole of the downstairs of the hotel was full of rugby supporters! We hadn't realised that the hotel would be open for so many people to come in to eat and drink. There was no way we could even squeeze into the bar to get a drink while we waited! My daughter's room didn't get cleaned at all!
The bedrooms were very cold that day, and the heating didn't come on til much later. There was a terrible cold draft under the doors and around the window. I think this was because they had all the main downstairs doors open?
Breakfast on the Sunday morning was very slow! No-one came to greet us or ask what drinks we'd like for ages. There was no fresh fruit on the buffet, and again just a couple of dry croissants. My husband and daughter's bf waited almost an hour for their cooked breakfasts! While we sat and sat, we could see several trays of breakfasts going upstairs (for room service I guess?) There seemed to be just one girl serving, who was absent from the dining room for long periods! Again, cold toast!
Considering that we were paying £229 per room per night, I felt very let down by the poor service. Not what we had looked forward to for a special treat, that was costing me over £900 in total just for the hotel!! I think the hotel was too concerned about making money from the people drinking and eating there during Saturday, and so were short staffed and overstretched. But poor service for the actual guests who were staying in the hotel! We would have liked to have been able to enjoy a drink in the bar ourselves on the Saturday!
I did mention my disappointment on checking out, and was given a 10% reduction. However, that doesn't really make up for the problems we encountered.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade!! Cheapest rooms are very small.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alison29Yorkshire
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Alison29Yorkshire

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am so sorry that your stay at Dunstane did not live up to expectations - as you will see from all our other reviews this is not the norm with us! Our guests normally feel the benefit of our excellent customer service and attention to our guests needs. It seems in your case there have been a couple of mis-communications which I will be happy to help explain.

The room size is small you are correct - you booked our classic rooms which is our most basic room type - other hotels may call them Small or Petit doubles. We do have larger rooms available to book as well. Our Deluxe doubles are our entry room types that most people not looking for the cheapest deal will normally go for. Maybe next time these are more up your street?

We do certainly provide fresh milk if you would like it with your tea and coffee! Obviously we cannot leave this in the room due to Health and Safety issues but we are more than happy to bring you some - as stated in your in room information folder.

The Housekeeping issue seems to be a big misunderstanding - I have spoken to the girl in question who seems to be under the impression that when she had asked in the morning if you were wanting your rooms serviced you had said no as you were wishing to remain in the rooms. Later on when you came to ask her to do it she did it straight away for you and your daughter told her she did not want any new towels or anything - which is why that room was not done. I am so sorry if she misunderstood you it was not her intention - our girls are so fantastic and willing it is such a shame for them to read this especially if it was just a misunderstanding. I wish you had contacted reception at the time as we would have been able to clarify this all for you on the spot!

With regards to breakfast I am so sorry that service was slow, no excuse at all. The girl wasn't on her own but unfortunately we were so busy that morning we obviously dropped the ball slightly - shouldn't have happened and we will go back and do some retraining in that area so that this doesn't happen again. We have changed our baker now further to your review so hopefully the pastries will be better! And we do always have fresh fruit on the buffet table so I will look into why this was not there at all - or if it was why it was not visible to you.

Unfortunately rugby weekends are always very busy for us given our proximity to the stadium. Guests benefit from being so close to the game for convenience but unfortunately it does mean that footfall around the hotel increases dramatically - we do however organise a special member of staff on duty at reception throughout the game purely there for our residents to ensure they don't have to queue in the bar with everyone else but can have drinks brought out to them which means they can effectively 'queue jump'. We are never going to be a quiet and peaceful place on rugby weekends though unfortunately so perhaps next time you can consider a hotel further away from the centre of the action that would be capable of avoiding the rugby crowds which we are unable to avoid.

Thanks again