“The prefect retreat”

Ranked #14 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Darwin, Australia
“The prefect retreat”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I kicked off our honeymoon in Scotland at ths boutique hotel. Without hint or request we were upgraded free of charge on check in. The room was delightful and the staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. We ate in their restuarant and relaxed in their bar. The prices were slightly high but the quality of food and drink and interactivity of the bar staff made it worth the extra pennies. So impressed were we that we re-booked an extra night 6 days later after road tripping around the country. Again we were upgraded on check in and the friendly staff had remembered us from our last stay.
From a quality perspective the hotel is in an ideal location, we were able to walk to all tourist sites and restuarants. The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were great. The rooms were serviced to a high standard and I had no hesitations in leaving valuables out. My wife particularly enjoyed the refurbished chocolate marshmellow biscuits daily! The restuarant has a polished feel to it and presents itself in a clean yet cosy manner.
This is my first review on trip advisor as I thought it was very important to sing the praises of this fantastic hotel. We will definately be returning in the future!

1 Thank PhillJames2
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hello PhilJames2

I am honoured that we at The Dunstane are your first Trip Advisor review! Thank you so much! It means so much to the staff that they are recognized for their hard work. We do like to make our guests stays special and recognize special occasions like honeymoons and anniversaries when we can. I am glad we were able to make yours that extra bit special.

I look forward to seeing you on your anniversary!!

Best wishes

Samantha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The excellent service from the staff started from the minute I booked the room. I advised that my wife has coeliac disease when booking and they stated that they would be able to provide a gluten free breakfast and they had superb knowledge on cross contamination, which made the stay more relaxing for my wife as she always worries that it's is often misunderstood about what is acceptable. The excellent service then continued when we arrived. we arrived later than expected which messed up the eating arrangements as we were limited by time as we were going to see a show. The extensive knowledge of the young lady on the reception was invaluable. She did mention that she also suffers from coeliac disease and went beyond the call of duty to find somewhere we could eat, calling restaurants etc - but in the end as we were restricted by time, the chef was asked what could be made gluten free - which was almost everything on the menu but they had just had delivery of some fresh mackerel and that he could do this with some vegetables if my wife was a fan of fish. The same young lady also made enquiries to when the show was going to start as there was some misunderstanding on the tickets and website and also ordered a taxi so that we weren't late. We were very impressed and the rest of the staff were just as attentive and friendly making sure that we had everything we needed to make our stay comfortable.
The room was huge and immaculately presented, the bed has to be one of the comfiest that I have ever slept in and was that big that my wife actually thought at one point that I had got up and gone for a walk (albeit in the middle of the night). There was everything you needed in the room; tea and coffee making facilities, comfortable chairs for relaxing in the bay windows - watching life drift past. My only negative would be the temperature of the room at night, it was hot even when we had the windows open. If we had been staying longer than one night, I would have figured out the heating arrangements and dealt with it. Other than that, the hotel staff made my first visit to Edinburgh one that I will remember for a long time to come and my wife and I are already planning our return trip to Edinburgh with the children and will I be booking our accommodation at the Dunstane again... YES I will.

Hello there

Thank you so much for your comments, I am so pleased Lucy was able to help you iron out the creases in your stay! Our customer service is our key focus here at Dunstane and the staff are so happy to help with any questions or problems.

We would be more than happy to show you the workings of the central heating next time to make your stay even more comfortable!

Best wishes

london
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Myself and my husband stayed for one night on my 30th birthday in April.

This was our first visit to Edinburgh and we were not disappointed. The hotel staff were welcoming and attentive throughout our stay.

The room was spotless and comfortable and had a unique charm about it.

There was an Easter event taking place in the grounds of the hotel and a basket of creme eggs for the customers on the counter, a special touch that you rarely see in hotels now.

The staff at the hotel were happy to recommend things to do in Edinburgh and went out of their way to ensure we knew where we were going and felt comfortable in the area. We did not have much time to explore the area however the walk to Edinburgh city centre was a ten minute enjoyable stroll and there were plenty of sights to see and shops to enjoy, all amazingly open until 7pm which if you are from London like us is a novelty on a Sunday!

After a comfortable nights sleep and a lovely hot shower we had a cooked breakfast in the quaint restaurant in the hotel. The food was lovely and just what was needed on a cold Scottish morning.

We had a lovely stay here and with only one night to enjoy Edinburgh we could not have picked a better hotel.

Thank you to all of the staff at the Dunstane House Hotel for a truly lovely experience. We hope to return sometime soon.

Ian and Siobhan Pritchard

Room Tip: Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre NA
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cuckoo84
Hello Ian and Siobhan

What a lovely start to the day! Thanks you so much for such great feedback. The Easter fun day was such a great day and I am so pleased you got to share in it! Everyone loves a basket of cream eggs on reception!!

Hope to see you again next Easter!

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Good location within easy reach of the city. Our room was spotless and stylishly presented.
The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Breakfast deserves a special mention, just about the best we have ever had in a hotel, all freshly cooked to order.
A great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello John W

Thank you so much for your comments. What a compliment about our breakfast! I am delighted you enjoyed it - hopefully next time you can try the Skerries in the evening and let us know how we do!

Thanks again,

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was a great experience, the staff is most helpful and always there for guests. The restaurant was superb in our opinion and the bar area very comfortable. Our room was exactly as advertised. We highly recommend Dunstane house and will stay there again

Hello

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review on here to help future guests. We do like to provide exactly what we advertise and I am glad you found it so! The staff are excellent I agree and it makes their day when they get a mention on here so I will be sure to tell them!

Thanks again,

Hawick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

A relaxing break in a lovely hotel. rooms were in the basement which was very handy as there was a conservatory attached which we could relax in. Very peaceful but within easy reach to all ammenities of the city centre.Very friendly staff and knowelagable.

Room Tip: the basement rooms are great. nice and quiet. you can go outside without disturbing anyone.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hello Helen405

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your room in the Townhouse. The rooms on the Lower ground floor by the conservatory are lovely and peaceful. It is such a nice suntrap at this time of year! Although it feels like a 'basement' all the rooms have windows and access to the lovely garden conservatory is a bonus.

I do hope we can welcome you again to The Dunstane

Kind Regards

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A bijoux hotel in the West End of Edinburgh. The main building is set back from the main road, so traffic noise is not a problem. Very difficult to find fault in any department. The restaurant deserves your custom. Looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business