“Upgrade policy questionable”

Ranked #14 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Hamburg
“Upgrade policy questionable”
Reviewed 19 October 2008

The room I was originally booked in was _very_ small and overlooking the parking lot. So I asked whether there would be an option for an upgrade. I was shown a different room, which was still very small, but at least a little bit nicer. When I asked, whether this would be a free upgrade, they said "I will see, what I can do for you." When I met the guys at the reception later on, they did not mention a word any more.
In the end, the charged an additional 10 pounds per night and even when I complained, they totally consisted on their point of view and made me pay. So the key learning here is, always ask, whether an upgrade is really free.
The rest of the hotel is ok, but even without the experience I would have chosen a different hotel next time.

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jenreth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 11 October 2008

The Dunstane House Hotel (not to be confused with the Dunstane City Hotel opposite) is a really nice hotel for those who are seeking an alternative to the contemporary offerings of the modern hotel chains.

Pro's:
1. A short and simple walk from the Haymarket train station (take a left out of the station and keep on the straight road, about 10 min walk up on the right).
2. Very good food
3. Helpful staff
4. Clean rooms and super clean bathrooms with Molton Brown toiletries and a proper haridryer

Cons:
1. Smaller than average room sizes
2. No air con and very warm rooms
3. Kitchen noise in the mornings with rooms located above or alongside this facitlity

Overall it was a little pricey for my liking, although you could argue that good quality food, the traditional look and helpful staff warranted the additional expense. I would probably source accommodation within walking distance to the City if I was looking to spend a bit of time in Edinburgh.

• Liked — The food and the traditional look and feel of the hotel
  • Disliked — No air circulation in the room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
reading
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Not sure what to make of this hotel. I stay in Edinburgh a lot and this was what I'd call a small traditional hotel with plenty of wood panelling and a family feel. I stayed in room 4 which was pretty small and basic with a fairly weak shower. It has a flatscreen TV with 5 channels but does have wifi which was handy. The bed was uncomfortable after 2 nights and there was no air con.

Food was OK in the bar and breakfast was pretty good except on my first morning when the promised breakfast tray (I had an early start) didn't materialise. The staff rushed around to get me what they could which was a nice touch.

I wouldn't stay here again - it's not my sort of place but I noticed plenty of americans there. It really was just OK in my book but with friendly staff.

• Liked — wifi access
  • Disliked — it's old
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bath
Reviewed 29 May 2008

Dunstane City Hotel is such a lovely, relaxing, modern and comfy place to stay.

We booked a long weekend in Edinburgh, and found this little gem thorough scrolling through the internet. However, it has no reviews (so I was a little apprehensive!)

The hotel is located in a reasonable location, it is not in the heart of Edinburgh, but is on a very popular bus route, which runs every 15mins! The number 12/26/31 will take you into Princes Street. Taxis are reasonable too - coming back at 2am will set you back roughly £6-7.

Hotel is reasonably priced, rooms are stylish, modern (it has just had a refurnbishment - could still smell the paint!) Most rooms have black-out blinds, tv's are those plasma ones, selection of coffees/biscuits (no mini-bar), BUT there is a bar downstairs. Hairdryers for you girlies are brilliant NO NEED to bring your own. The room also has iron and board! Beds are very comfy especially after hiking through Royal Mile! Bathrooms are clean, showers are good - lots of hot water!)

Staff are lovely, friendly and accomodating. Breakfasts are essentially help yourself, apart from if you would like toast, anything hot basically - you need to request this. Plus you can eat as much or as little as you like.

We stayed here for 3 nights, myself and a friend stayed in the Deluxe room, much to our glee as our other friends had to "rough" it, however when we went into their room, there was absolutely no differences!! They actually had a nicer decor!

Definately would stay here again if I return to Edinburgh!

• Liked — Cleaniness and friendly staff
  • Disliked — None!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mischc
Inland Empire
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Two friends and I stayed at Dunstane House for one night during a weekend visit to Edinburgh. I found the Dunstane through TripAdvisor and read all the reviews, both good and bad, before deciding to stay there. We were not disappointed.

My friends and I arrived after a 6 hour train ride from Newcastle. We walked to the Dunstane from the main Edinburgh train station to get the flavor of the city. We got lost walking there due to 1) a lack of street signs, and 2) major street construction along the way that blocked foot and road traffic. Beware that streets in Edinburgh twist and wind and change names every 100 yards (it seems). Be aware that the bus service is fantastic; catch the 12, 26, or 31 bus going west on Princes Street, pay 1 pound, and get off right in front of the Dunstane. The bus was especially nice when it was wet and cold, which was the entire time we were there.

Upon checking in at the Dunstane two of us had our rooms upgraded. Joe was upgraded to an very nice poster bed with ensuite bath (#1) and I was upgraded to a full bed room (#14). Rich was left in a single room (#6) which is tiny. We weren't planning to spend much time in the rooms, so no one was put out. All of the rooms have a very homey feel to them - almost like you're staying in someone's guest room. Joe and I both liked the comforters, which were heavy but not stifling hot. I did have to play with the television (bad outlet) and lights (bulb not set in right) to get them to work properly, but I've had to do similar things at other hotels.

The staff were wonderfully friendly and helpful from the moment we walked in. The upgrades for two out of three became a good-natured joke between us and the cheerful front desk staff. They gave us great advice on what to do that evening. We returned late from pub hopping and ended the night with a drink at the bar. Luckily the staff had put up signs reminding everyone to move their clocks ahead for daylights savings; that came as news to us! The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast with eggs cooked to order. The sausages and button mushrooms were fantastic.

In summary - the Dunstane is very affordable, convenient to downtown, has a great staff, and the breakfast is terrific.

• Liked — The great staff, homey feel, and terrific breakfast
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends