“the hotel was a complete disaster,one problom after another!!!!!!”

Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile
Ranked #62 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 2 April 2009

We arrived in Edinburgh at 9am on Thursday the 19th of March. We stayed for two nights. I had booked this hotel since last November and had sent a few e-mails to explain that we would be there early in the morning and had requested an early check in, this was not the case. I was rudely told that we could not check in until 12noon.Then I was told that we could leave our bags, I asked where the luggage room was. I was told that they didn’t have one and we could leave our bags at reception....!!! The Hotel was like a building site, they were in the middle of renovating and again was not informed of this.
We went to find our way around Edinburgh, when we arrived back after 12noon to check in our bags were gone. I was told they had been moved up to a room on the 1st floor.
Checking in was ok. We went and got our bags and went to our rooms. Very basic rooms the beds were something you would lay down on at a beach resort. I went to the bathroom to wash my hands and the towels were filthy dirty with make up from the last person that was staying in the room, it was clear to see that the room had not been clean.
The sheets on the bed look as if the were washed with yellow stained water.
We were rudely awoken with the noise of work men at 8am in the morning complained to reception and was offered to be move to the next floor our a 10% discount on all rooms, which was 5 rooms. Did not except.
Spoke with the group that i was with, they were not happy with the offer. My mother, myself and the girl that I was sharing with went to reception, the hotel manager offered to move us to a hotel that was 20minutes away, this was not good enough because we were central to mainly everything, I complained about the state of the room. The manager then offered us a 50% discount on both nights on all of the rooms. We accepted this offer as I was getting extremely annoyed with the experience of the hotel. Edinburgh is a lovely city and would return again but certainly not to stay in this hotel.
Did not have a pleasant stay in this hotel staff during the day were not at all nice, night time staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 February 2009

The location for this Ibis Hotel could not be better. It's right on the Royal Mile. It's a quick walk to the train station, Edinburgh castle, and Princes Street (with all the shopping). There are plenty of restaurants and pubs around, too.

The rooms were very basic. Not a lot of amenities, but I didn't expect any with a budget hotel. The bathroom was super small, but the rest of the room was actually fairly large, which was completely unexpected. The view from our room was fantastic and the windows went all the way up to the ceiling! There was also a flat screen TV, which was pretty nice. I didn't use it, but internet access was also available. Only weird thing, you need a room key to get into the elevator every time and into the hotel after 11:00 (not a problem for us, but might be for some people).

We took a bus out to Roslyn Chapel. We picked up the bus at the stop near the Scott Monument, also a quick walk from the hotel. The concierge was very helpful, and she even called the bus company to make sure that she was giving us the correct stop.

We took up food from the restaurant downstairs up to our room. The food was just okay, but the man at the bar went above and beyond trying to please us.

Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel. The service could not have been better, the location and view was fantastic, and the rooms were great even though they were basic. I loved the city and am definitely going to go back and stay at this Ibis.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2008

What can I say, its an Ibis. Neutral, clean, breakfast was uninspiring. Absolutely fine for business but you dont wanna come here for a romantic getaway. Its quite noisy - thats outside noise. Location is convenient for the Train station. Edinburgh itself was lovely really Christmassy - gonna go next year with my family as there is a massive xmas fair with stalls and rides etc.

It was alright

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2008

As we only had two nights in Edinburgh, we needed somewhere close to the sights and this hotel certainly fit the bill! It was great value, very clean and although the rooms were small we were able to fit our two bags in relatively easily.

You literally walk out the front door turn left and you are on the Royal Mile where there are plenty of shops, sights, pubs and restaurants. We had a great time in Edinburgh and the hotel helped by removing the need to catch any public transport during our stay.

As for the down side, the breakfast didn't look that appetizing so we chose to eat at nearby cafes and although you get discounted car parking it is off site (my husband got lost finding it) and it is still quite expensive. I do need to say that the hotel staff were great when a lost husband came back and were quick to help when needed.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2008

My parter and I stayed at Ibis last week because we're regulars with this chain. We like low-cost and comfy accodomodation and usually Ibis fulfills our needs.

This one was an exception - the room was not very well cleaned and the hallway was noisy and strange. Believe it or not, there were stairs in the hallway to our room (yes, on the third floor).

Also, the bathroom was pretty poor. The shower was dirty and the sink panel was falling apart. The room is aged and the bed is not really comfy.

Also, and that appears to be recurrent at Ibis, there is no Wi-Fi available, only internet cable that only reaches the desk, not the bed. Kind of sucks after a long day to sit on a wooden chair.

Other than that, the tv was working fine... but that's pretty much it.

Luckily, we had a deal on the breakfast as we got up at 10. £2.50 for toasts, yogurt and juice. I wouldn't have paid more.

The location is amazing, though. Right off the Royal Mile and dozens of shops and pubs and restaurant. Beware the pub right in front - the waitress is absolutely rude. She litterally threw bottles on the floor when they were empty.

Still a fan of Ibis but I do not recommend this particular hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Short walk uphill (Cockburn St) from Waverley Station onto the Royal Mile crossed straight over into Hunter Square, hotel was a couple of doors down - great location!
Check-in was straightforward, we were given a swipe card for our room, this is also required for the foyer door and passenger lift - take the right hand lift the left one only takes you to the first floor?
Our room was on the rear of the 3rd Floor - little view to talk about; the accommodation was compact, functional and clean.
Being a city centre hotel there was some neighbourhood noise but this was minimal.
With the Royal Mile on your doorstep and Princes St less than 10 minutes walk away the Ibis Hotel is a great base to set out from.
There is a food service and you can purchase a continental breakfast at he hotel but we skipped this.
Checkout again was straightforward.
Just over 10 minutes walk away - for a cheap and cheerful cooked breakfast go to the BHS department store Rose St entrance.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2008

The location of the Ibis Hotel in Edinburgh couldn't be better. It's within walking distance (although it's UPHILL) from the airport shuttle location. The staff was great. I stayed in two different rooms - one of the ground floor (very small, but the window opened at least enough to let in a little bit of air) and one on the second floor (very large, but facing a very busy street, and the windows don't open). In both rooms, the single beds were as comfortable as granite and about as wide as army cots. The showers were very good, but I'd have preferred a comfortable bed for the high cost of the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends