“excellent staff at front desk”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #41 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Seattle, Washington
“excellent staff at front desk”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I wanted to especially recognize one member of the staff at the front desk. I don't know his name, but he was of Indian ethnicity and was on duty on Friday. He helped us store our luggage and offered to hold some perishable food in the hotel's refrigerator until we left late Friday afternoon. There was a very heavy rain that day and the friend picking us up showed up completely soaked. Said employee immediately brought our friiend a towel to dry off and also an umbrella. He also helped us take the luggage out to the car in the downpour. All of this while graciously declining a tip. We very much appreciate his outstanding service.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
zzxxyy, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding a member of my staff. I was pleased to read that you found his service to be outstanding and will make a point of thanking him personally.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return in the near future.

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This hotel was not what I was expecting at all.
According to the other reviews here, this hotel is just the bees knees. Unfortunately, it is not. Despite being upgraded to a master suite, with a view of Edinburgh castle, upon check-in, we still had an awful stay here.
The hotel was so warm & stuffy, there was no air con in the rooms & when you opened the bedroom windows, you were subjected to the noise from the stag & hen parties outside on the street.
If you're looking for a hotel that is stuck in the middle of the action & you're not planning on sleeping much, well this is for you. Otherwise, AVOID!

2 Thank juleskee
zzxxyy, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that our complimentary upgrade to a suite did not meet with your approval. Unfortunately our suites are at the front of the hotel, offering a great view of the castle, but can suffer from a little more noise at the weekend due to our location in the heart of the Grassmarket. I am not aware if you requested to be moved as we would have happily arranged a quiet room at the rear of the hotel had you done so.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future and I can assure you that Edinburgh is not normally as warm as you experienced, and apart from a few days during the summer our bedrooms are usually much cooler.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We arrived at the hotel and much to our delight on check in we were upgraded to a master suite for free. We made our own way up to the room and we were absolutely blown away - the room was very impressive. The living area featured a desk and dining table as well as a couch and coffee table with entertainment systems and a 32" LCD. The bedroom featured a large kingsize bed adjoined by a wetroom style bathroom with a large walk-in shower and bath. The bedroom also had its own 32" LCD.

All of this was perfect. We were delighted.

Unfortunately, the problems started the very first night.

The noise from Grassmarket was incredibly loud and as the room had no aircon there was no choice except to leave the windows open. Sleep was very difficult to say the least. I was therefore extremely thankful come morning that I had taken the time to order breakfast in bed. Unfortunately the crispy bacon and pancakes with Maple Syrup was awful. The thick cut rashers that I was served were tasteless and overcooked. The pancakes were soggy and the Maple Syrup was actually Golden Syrup. The coffee was burnt and the apple juice was neither cold nor real (made from concentrate). All of this was totally compounded by the fact that the meal was very expensive.

The worst didn't come until the second morning when I realised that the bed had ruined my back.

In short I would not recommend staying here at all. Avoid this hotel.

1 Thank chews23
Dear Christian

Thank you for your review. I am glad you were "delighted" with the complimentary upgrade to a suite that we arranged for your recent stay with us. Unfortunately the weather was warm during your visit and I am sorry you were disturbed by the noise from the Grassmarket. Occasionally this can be a problem at the weekend and is the down side to our central location and stunning view of the castle. Should you stay with us again please let us know that you would prefer a rear facing room where I am confident you will have a peaceful night.

With regard to your bed, I have personally checked the king size mattress in each of our 3-suites and can find no fault with them. I can only assume that they may have been a little firmer that your normal mattress and am sorry you had an uncomfortable sleep.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel.

Fife
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Very handy hotel in Edinburgh's Grassmarket. Family rooms a good size. Hotel far too hot and no air con but reception staff were very friendly and the facilities were good. Parking available at the Apex International a few door s away, swimming pool available to use also. Free wifi and use of laptop was appreciated, shower powerful, room clean and bed comfy. Price for time of year reasonable especially when booked through Laterooms.com.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review - I am glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your positive feedback. I do hope you will stay with us again in the near future when I am sure the weather will be back to normal and you will find the room a lot cooler.

General manager
London
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We paid £237 for our room for 1 night without breakfast. The hotel has the potential to give its guest a great stay but unfortunately no air-con in the rooms meant an awful night’s sleep. There was already a fan in the room when we arrived which we had on the whole time blowing hot air round! The window did not open and honestly I've had better night’s sleep in Travelodge, could not wait to leave the hotel the next morning even checking out before checkout time just to get fresh air. The view was awful – avoid room 3130!

For the price we paid being a 4 star hotel the least we expected was air-con. I would not recommend on this basis.

Other than the air con the room was modern with good facilities water, tea/coffee and nice but limited toiletries. Was very central in the glassmarket. Hotel Management please address the matter of air-con in rooms!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank NeveragaininKavos
Dear Guest

I'm sorry that the temperature of your room spoilt your recent stay with us, particularly as you suggest that you would have otherwise had an enjoyable visit.

Unfortunately we have just gone through a particularly warm spell and I appreciate that the high humidity has been uncomfortable. As you mentioned we have placed a fan in each room to help cool the temperature but appreciate that occasionally during the summer it does not offer enough relief against the heat.

Should you stay with us again in the future please let reception know upon arrival that you would prefer a room with a view and they will do their best to allocate you a street facing room. The room that you stayed in during your recent visit lacks a view but offers a particularly peaceful night.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Not impressed, room too hot, no room in the car park, lamp and clock did not work, reception staff unhelpful of alternative parking, pricey for what you actually get, which isn't very much!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank C_heesypeas1
Dear Guest

Before you selected to stay at the Apex City hotel you probably read some of the many positive reviews that we have received, particularly about our staff. Your review is very disappointing and I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss the problems you encountered, and to identify the room you stayed in so that I can ensure the faults are rectified. If you have a spare moment I would grateful it if you could kindly contact me on [--].
Thank you in advance.

Tallaght, Ireland
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The hotel was clean and efficient, we had a nice view of the castle from our window, if you looked to the right, and the fan provided in the room was very useful as it was very warm at night when we stayed. We didn't eat in the hotel so I can't comment on the food. We got a good price considering the time of year and the general expensiveness of Edinburgh hotels. The location is excellent, comfortable walking distance to everything and we had everything we needed for our three night stay.