“Awesome!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Awesome!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

My boyfriend booked a package "romantic break" or sth like that:) we had a room at 4th floor with view toward castle (awesome!!!), bottle of champagne and one romantic dinner included. Friendly and helpful stuff. Nice clean rooms, comfortable big bed. Close to Edinburgh castle, nice breakfast, you can choose between continental and fix-menu breakfast (extra paid, if not included). The only complain I have is that they didn't change big towels even once during our stay (4 days, small towel were changed every day) and they didn't clean a bottle and glasses for champagne we had. But I definitely recommend that hotel:)

1 Thank dziewczontko

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chorley, Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

We found our room to be quite tired, all 4 lamp shades were bashed or ripped, every piece of furniture was scuffed or damaged, the carpet was worn so it had a very grubby feel. It also wasn't very clean, lots of dust and dirt, including the kettle which we didn't use. When I moved the bin in the bathroom to pick something up there was loads of hair (nit ours, and not all of somebody's head!!), dirt and an empty soap wrapper, yuk!

We didn't sleep either of our 2 nights as the walls are paper thin, there was a family with 2 kids next door and we heard them talking, not to mention crying and shouting in the early hours, we could even hear the message tone of their mobile all night. Such a shame as the bed was so comfy.

Good choice at breakfast, great location, parking good value at £8 a day. Some nice added extras with the superior room such as slippers, robes, fridge and snack, but wouldn't stay here again. The couple we travelled with usually stay at the neighboring Apex International which they said is far better quality.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
zzxxyy, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Guest
I am really disappointed to read such an unusually poor review of the hotel. The room that you stayed in is certainly not typical of the high standard we try to offer our guests, and hopefully you have read the many positive reviews that we receive? My sincere apologies that we appear to have failed you on this occasion.

I have checked with my Duty Managers and reception and we could not find a record of you reporting being unhappy with your room. Had you advised us we would have happily sorted the problems or offered an alternative room. Should you have a moment I would appreciate it if you could possibly drop me an e-mail advising me of the room number you stayed in so that I can immediately make sure that any faults are rectified. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk and I do hope that you get in contact.

Thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Lindsay Sturrock
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

My husband and I visited Edinburgh with our two daughters (4 and 6) for one night May 5 - 6, 2012. This is a great hotel for the price and location! We are Americans currently living in the UK and are taking the opportunity to travel. This was our first visit to Edinburgh. The hotel has a fabulous stff, they were great with my daughters (extra cookies, etc). The breakfast was yummy and convenient. For £10 per adult (pay online or when you check in to get this price) it was a deal considering my kids ate for free. We also received a £10 voucher (booked online) to use in the restaurant or bar, so my husband got a free double scotch at the end of a long day. We got lucky and got the last parking space next door at Apex International and were allowed to leave our car there after checkout. We took advantage of the pool next door at Apex Int'l also - it is small but great for the kids. Noise was NOT an issue as our room did not face the street. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kstech
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

I would recommend this hotel, in great location, is very clean, efficient and modern....I was staying over on business and out for dinner with Colleagues so was not expecting to actually be in the hotel very much. I was welcomed and offered a choice of rooms and was surprised at the extras in my room, Elemis toiletries, bottled water, free wi-fi etc. Breakfast next morning was a pleasant surprise where it's cooked to order....I was served quickly and it was delicious! Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking car park which was really quiet if you prefer that to a noisier room with a...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jackie L
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed here with a friend over the Easter break and thought it was brilliant. The location on Grassmarket is really handy for visiting the castle and the royal mile and plenty of nice restaurants and bars nearby. The food was nice, there was a really good selection of food (hot and cold) for breakfast and the bar meal we had was reasonable value and tasty. The rooms and bathroom were a really good size, with the rubber duck and chocolate easter bunny being really nice touches! Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I made my first visit to the Apex City hotel in March 2011 (not June as stated, I left it far too long to review!), as a gift for my 18th birthday with my boyfriend.

On arrival we were checked in straight away, which was before noon and great considering the website says it's 14:30! The lobby was gorgeous and everyone seemed very friendly, although to be honest that was about the only time we communicated with anyone from the hotel on our 2 night stay, as we knew exactly what we wanted to do and only came back to sleep!

First impressions of the room were definitely fantastic, very clean and modern! We didn't request a castle view, but like I said we were barely there so this wasn't an issue.
I found that Grassmarket itself was very beautiful, and I much prefered it to the Princes Street area with regards to shopping! The hotel is also a very pleasant walk from Waverley Bridge, which is where we got our Airport bus and our bus to Edinburgh Zoo.

It's a shame that we spent little time in the room, as it really was lovely! Flopping onto that massive bed after a long day was bliss! I've recently booked to stay there again this July to visit the pandas! Also, on our last night there we ate in the hotel's Agua Bar & Restaurant, which was really enjoyable, my only criticism would be that the portions are fairly small, which we predicted anyway. (My boyfriend likes to eat a lot!)

Bottom line, is that I definitely saw this as a business hotel when I stepped in, but there's so much to see in Edinburgh that you'll just be coming back for a good sleep! The room was everything we wanted and more, and the location was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Perth, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

I can recommend this hotel as it is in a great location, is very clean and the staff are great....though the room we were in had a castle view it was very small. However, be warned, the Grassmarket is very very noisy and we could not sleep. The heating in the room was very warm and even though we switched it off we needed to open the window - even noisier. We had booked this for a special occasion and looked forward to a night away from family - in the morning I simply wanted to go home to my own bed! The manager was very sympathetic and we will return but ASK for a QUIET room.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room!!!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
zzxxyy, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and taking the time to talk to my Duty Manager before you left the hotel. Unfortunately, even though our front facing rooms offer great views of the Castle they can sometimes be a little noisy at the weekend due to the Grassmarket being such a popular location. The next time you stay with us please let us know that you would prefer a rear facing room as they are exceptionally quiet and I am sure you will have a totally noise free stay.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Lindsay Sturrock