“Good location, good accommodation”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 July 2012

A good location for seeing Edinburgh, make sure you can walk as there is a steep uphill walk to the Royal Mile or a whole load of steps to climb. Grassmarket is a great location, there are bars, restaurants and nice views of old Edinburgh and the Castle from the hotel. It is a bit of a walk to get into the heart of the tourist area uphill, but don't let that deter you - its worth it !!
The hotel is very clean, spacious, and the rooms are excellent with a walk in shower and bath. Large screen TV's and comfortable beds. For those that want internet there is free wifi access.
The staff are welcoming and friendly, nothing was too much bother. Breakfast was very nice and quickly served with plenty of choice from buffet style to hot cooked meals. There is even and choice of breakfast on the move facility - where you can order the previous night and collect it at check-out in the morning if you're in a rush.
The advantages of the hotels facilities outway it's location slightly away from the main tourist area, but it's only a 15 minute walk to the main Waverley Railway station.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank David P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,826)

Reviewed 18 July 2012

This was our first stop in Scotland. We were a party of three as I was traveling with my 13 year old granddaughter and my sister. The family-room was great, one queen bed and a very comfortable sofa bed for my sister. Although we were not staying in their sister hotel, the Apex Internation Hotel, we had use of all its amenities and it was just down the block on the same side of the street. The staff was extremely helpful...I had lost my packet with all our vacation notes but had my laptop so the front desk advised me to send them an email with all the documents and they made copies (at no charge!) As we arrived late there were no restaurants open in the area however the Aqua bar was open and they accepted a room service order which allowed us to dine at a table in the bar which was inviting even to my granddaughter. The hotel is conveniently located at the foot of Edinburgh Castle and within walking distance of Holyroodhouse, the official residence of Queen Elizabeth when in Scotland and the Princess Gardens. An easy city to get around in and the Apex City Hotel is a perfect place to stay..

Room Tip: We stayed on the back side of the hotel so very queen. You could ask for a room with the view of th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TayeToo
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Really good location for getting around the city centre on foot. Rooms which are near the road do suffer from the noice of Grassmarket (which apparently never sleeps) but those that face the road have a fantastic view of the castle so it's kind of a trade-off. Superb breakfast which sets you up for the day (and means you can skip lunch!). A really good choice for business, but you are getting what you pay for (it is not cheap). Very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I've stayed twice now on business. Got upgaraded the first time which was lovely however my 2nd time was equally as nice in a standard room although the view was rubbish! Liked the free pringles, bisuits, jelly beans & water and the decent toiletries make a difference. I was tired so I used the hotel restaurant and was given 25% voucher off which made it really good value (despite the overpriced glass of wine.. £8.25 nice wine but really?). Food was delicious and good value £14.99 for two good courses.

I'm not a big breakfast fan, but was happy with tea and toast although there is more on offer. Great location.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have aweful views but to be honest I wasn't there to sit in my room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Andrea G
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I was initally worried when my boyfriend told me he had booked this hotel for our overnight 21st getaway after reading some of the reviews! These vanished after my worried boyfriend called them to check that everything would be okay and could we leave our bags with them as our flight got in at 8:30am. The staff were so lovely and friendly and were happy for us to leave our bags with them for the day while we explored. They also text us as soon as our room was ready which I thought was really helpful. The room was super clean- in complete contrast to some of the things we had read- and the bathroom was really spacious with a massive walk in shower! There was also some lovely Elemis tolietries and when we realised we forgot our tooth paste they gave us a little overnight tooth brush and paste kit which was a nice touch. The bed was massive and the pillows were like fluffy clouds. I had an excellent nap on the first day after our 4am start to catch our flight and it was so comfy. It is located in the Grassmarket area so there was some noise in the evening as its full of of pubs and eateries but it was really nothing to worry about and didn't disturb us at all. The staff were really friendly and we also left our bags with them on the second day. Its only a short walk from the Airport shuttle service too. We had a great time and a tasty breakfast on the second morning. This was included in our room price but if you don't pay for breakfast too I would recommend going to John Lewis for a full scottish breakfast as this is 7.95 rather than the hotels price of 13.50 and is tastier! We stayed in room 4109 which had views of the castle too and a lovely seating area next to the room with large sofas and massive windows where we spend some time people watching with a cup of tea.

We had a lovely stay and would return!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AmyJaneyL
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I have stayed in a good number of 3 and 4 star hotels in Edinburgh and this has become one of my favourites (not to be confused with the Apex out by the Haymarket Station which is not in the same league). Many rooms have views over Edinburgh Castle and the square known as the Grassmarket. The Grassmarket and surrounding streets are full of interesting shops pubs and restaurants for all pockets. First some negatives the Grassmarket area is lively and there is always a probability there will be a few noisy people who have had a scotch or five, having said that traffic noise is quite light. The Hotel is not grand olde worlde scots, but it is a pleasant modern hotel.

Now the positive stuff, the latest room I stayed in was on the first floor and was excellent, large TV and spotless modern bathroon with a bath and a large walk-in shower. My room came complete with views of the castle.The restaurant and reception staff were lively and helpful. I thought the barman who doubled up as a waiter was pleasant and informative, he steered me towards a slightly cheaper wine which he considered to be a better match to my dish and he was right. I have not dined at the hotel often enough to provide a solid review but dinner the other evening was to a surprisingly high standard and the portions were pretty good without being excessive. They have to be good because the local competion is pretty good.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about noise try and get a room at the side or back of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Bill089
Reviewed 9 July 2012

It is understandable that a hotel located in the land of rain and fog does not have air conditioning, but one would think that the HVAC system would have been updated by now. We visited the British Isles in May, and the weather was sunny 75-80 degrees daily. They did provide a fan, but it one simply opens the windows and closes the curtains during the day, the room will remain tolerable. The bathroom was in need of a decent scouring. Every time we took a shower the water almost flooded the bathroom due to a poorly functioning drain. The front desk did offer to send someone to look at it, while I was in the shower. It is centrally located. Beware of the multitude of bars across the street; the drunks are out almost every night. The staff was nice and helpful. Parking is limited and you have to walk about a block to the hotel with your luggage.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor in the back of the hotel for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family