Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$300
US$207
US$201
US$372
US$212
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$488
US$439
US$210
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$270
  • Bar/Lounge
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$108
Agoda.com
  • Bar/Lounge
2,879 results
All reviewsgreat locationroyal milerubber duckwalk in showergrassmarket areaelemis toiletriespubs and restaurantsgrass marketcastle viewexcellent hotelmodern hotelwould highly recommend this hotelstayed here for nightsfull scottish breakfastbreakfast was excellentcomfy bedprinces street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The Apex City hotel has a great location with awesome views of the Edinburgh Castle. The rooms are small but comfortable and the restaurant has pretty decent food. Nothing outstanding but the view of the castle from the room window makes it the best choice for Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the castle
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We booked a night in the Master Bedroom.
Room was clean, spacious, luxurious and had all the trimmings we needed.

We did not make use of room service or breakfast, so we cannot comment on this.

If I had to call out one negative is that the room was quite stuffy when we arrived but the airconditioning sorted that pretty quickly.

Parking was available at the Apex International hotel not too far away on the grassmarket, so that was pretty good.

Staff at reception were friendly and thankfully not overly chatty or grim.

Absolute plus is the location of this place, right in the heart of Edinburgh with a view over the grasasmarket with the castle in the backdrop. Stunning.

Would definitely use again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
LisaCameronDGM, Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you for your review. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our fabulous Master Suites. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards
Lisa Cameron
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We booked an upgraded room 10 months before arriving, and confirmed this with their Central Reservations dept a week beforehand. No surprise then that they had no superior rooms available for us(it was festival time). Finally, the Duty Manager offered a couple of free breakfasts and a complementary bottle of wine We delined an offer to move rooms part way through stay. Thank you to Carolina, but all pretty amateurish. Our room was nice enough and quiet thankfully as Grassmarket can get quite noisy at weekends. However, it was stiflingly hot-there is no air conditioning but you do get a desk fan. There was no room safe or mini bar fridge to keep drinks cool.Room clean enough but housekeeping do need to pay more attention to detail eg replace toiletries when needed and vacuum better. The hotel is in a good position but you can get more for less elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
zzxxyy, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies that Central Reservations failed to book a superior room for you. I can understand how annoying this must have been, particularly as you took the time to check your booking. I am pleased however that my Duty Manager arranged complimentary bottle of wine and breakfast as an apology. I will ensure that your comments are passed to the Reservations Manager for a full investigation.

Should you plan to return to Edinburgh for the festival next year please contact me directly so I can ensure you receive a complimentary upgrade to a Superior room.

Lindsay Sturrock

Reviewed 18 August 2012

In general we avoid hoitel restaurants as we have generally found them very expensive and of very limited quality,

Apex is the exception that proves the rule. Choice of fixed price menu or a la carte or a mixture of the two, Particularly memorable were the cauliflower soup starter and - even more so - the chocolate parfait desert which goes straight into the category of our top 5 restaurant deserts of all time.

Great food therefore combined with an attractive and very comfortable environment and excellent service - all from a hotel restaurant right in the centre of Edinburgh.

Very highly recommended!!

1  Thank tonybennett900
Reviewed 18 August 2012

In the center of the city, in walking distance to the most prominent landmarks in Edinburgh. But that might be the downside - the Apex City is booked anyway, so they do not really care about the rest.
Actually, I'm hesitand to complain since I think it's always easy to find flaws. But it's the overall attitude which makes me write this rather negative review.
- Room service: Glasses in the bathroom not clean, overall cleaning so-so, Shampoo not refilled as I've seen in other 4 star hotels. Rooms have seen some guests; but overall still pleasant.
- Familiy room: the couch serves as an extra bed. Our 4 year old son is fine on it. But I would not ask anybody taller than 1.20 m to sleep on it - on the lower part there is only a very thin matress and you can feel the grate.
- Employees are not too attentive (breakfast buffet refill, service overall) or not able to help (e.g. access to public computer).
- Beautyful weather makes the rooms very hot. Unfortunately, there's no AC, and the fan provided is not up to the job.
- Hotel was repainted during our stay, so the smell of color was added to the heat in stairways.
- Gym and pool are complimentry, but are located in the Apex International, so you have to leave the hotel and walk a short distance to the other hotel.

Without being cynical: During the false fire alarm around midnight, the staff seemed to be up to the job and was very friendly.

To put it in a nutshell: We already stayed at the Apex City a few years ago, next time I would look for another place.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City hotel. I am sorry that we appear to have disappointed on this occasion. From your review I understand that you have stayed with us before and had an enjoyable visit, and as you can see from other reviews we do generally try hard to look after our guests and genuinely care if they are happy. I do hope you will still consider staying with us again the next time you are visiting Edinburgh and if you contact me directly I will ensure that your room is perfect and you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Lindsay Sturrock