“Enjoyable yet again”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This was the second time staying at Apex City Hotel, the first being our honeymoon. We had such a great experience the last time that we made sure to book again 3 years later, this time with our extended family.

The service was fantastic, as soon as we walked in someone helped us with our bags (5 of us on a 3 week trip made for a lot of baggage). Our rooms were ready right away and we all had a great view of the castle. The rooms are a great size, clean and comfortable.

Note that the hotel is located in the Grassmarket which has a bit of a night life, pubs and bars are directly across from the hotel. My inlaws left their window open and were awakened by a noisy woman on the street both nights we stayed. My husband and I didn't hear a thing but had our window closed. Earplugs are provided which was new since the last time we stayed.

We had breakfast one of the mornings, my husband suggests skipping the haggis however (and he loves haggis).

The staff were very attentive and we enjoyed our stay, It was a great start to our trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank irislise

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel when visiting Edingbiurg for the military tattoo and the fringe festival. It's location is excellent, couldn't be better...at the foot of the castle and within easy walking distance of all the attractions in Edingburgh city centre. I think the tarrif is a little over priced but I guess you pay for such a good location! The room was pleasant enough, bedding crisply clean and bathroom spotless with lovely white fluffy towels ! If I was to be really fussy I could point out a pretty thick layer of dust under and around the edge of the bed! The most negative thing about the room was how hot and stuffy it was, the window was on a safety catch and only opened slightly. There was no air conditioning and not even a fan in the room, making for an uncomfortable night!
We ate in the hotels restaurant in the evening and my meal was delicious. My husbands looked delicious and indeed tasted delicious but half way through his meal we noticed a lot of blood on the plate from the pork he was eating! We told the head waiter and he looked alarmed and said it should not have been like that and he informed the chef straight away and did not charge us for my husbands meal....a bit off putting though ! However the breakfast the following day was perfect, try the full Scottish breakfast, delicious.
All of the staff we came across were professional and polite, especially the girl on the reception. All in all a good convenient place to stay with just a few minor negatives.

Room Tip: The fourth floor seemed to be the hottest part of the hotel so maybe try for a room on a lower floor...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I was in Edinburgh to work during the Festival. I arrived at 2pm to be told that my room couldn't be ready before 3pm.I think that's unacceptable.But lo and behold it wasn't just me, some of my colleagues experienced the same as did the other guests who arrived whilst I was waiting. This either means that the management is incompetent or that they don't have enough housekeeping staff during a busy time. Yet the rooms are at their most expensive in this period.
I asked and got a quiet room (well most of the time) however even though the weather was variable the room was so stuffy, airless and uncomfortable to be unbelievable. There was heating in the room which naturally was off yet it didn't work as air conditioning- there was none. Ok this is Edinburgh but even here in August it can be warm and given that the window opened at the top for only a couple of inches it was uncomfortable for my stay despite keeping a fan on most nights. What an unbelievable lack of a facility which should be there in such a recent hotel. Adapt the windows to open more fully if you're not going to have a-c.
I liked the decor and what food I did eat was fine as was most of the service from the staff apart from the lady who checked me out who gave me the spanish inquisition over room service I had paid cash for already.
Sorry but despite the good location I won't be recommending this place to my company colleagues.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank funcen
LisaCameronDGM, Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City hotel. I was sorry to hear that your room was not ready for your arrival, I'm sure you will appreciate that August is one of our busiest times of the year and we try and accommodate early arrivals and late departures so our guests can spend longer time in our beautiful city, obviously on this particular day we didn't quite get it right and I truly apologise.

On the rare occasion we experience some warm weather the rooms can become a little warm and air conditioning is certainly something we are considering for the future. My apologies that you found your room too warm.

Unfortunately due to health & safety we are unable to adapt the opening distance of our windows.

I am very sorry for the confusion regarding your room service order and I do hope that the problem was rectified to your satisfaction.

I do hope that you will change your mind and choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss your stay any further.
Kind regards
Lisa.cameron@apexhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 25 August 2012

The rooms are of reasonable size, are modern, good sized bathroom with shower and tub, quality TV....great place to rest after a day wandering around Edinburgh. BUT to do bother with breakfast at the hotel. It is expebnsive, tasteless and very uneven service.

Room Tip: Get room that do not face Grassmarket Street for quite.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Sadly this hotel in a great location is not a place to go. Amazing consistency among the staff to not listen and therefore not be responsive. I wonder if they are given so many rules of what they are to do and not do that it results in this behavior. Sadly I had my car window smashed and it was in asking for help - in a way that would have cost the hotel nothing - I really experienced this - it was so bad I feel I have to go out my way to let people know.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank EdinburghTravellor

Thank you for your review. Please allow me to apologise that we did not meet your expectations during your stay, I have spoken to my Management team and we have no records of any guests having had or reported any damage made to their cars. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly to discuss.
Lisa.cameron@apexhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 23 August 2012

The Apex City hotel has a great location with awesome views of the Edinburgh Castle. The rooms are small but comfortable and the restaurant has pretty decent food. Nothing outstanding but the view of the castle from the room window makes it the best choice for Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the castle
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We booked a night in the Master Bedroom.
Room was clean, spacious, luxurious and had all the trimmings we needed.

We did not make use of room service or breakfast, so we cannot comment on this.

If I had to call out one negative is that the room was quite stuffy when we arrived but the airconditioning sorted that pretty quickly.

Parking was available at the Apex International hotel not too far away on the grassmarket, so that was pretty good.

Staff at reception were friendly and thankfully not overly chatty or grim.

Absolute plus is the location of this place, right in the heart of Edinburgh with a view over the grasasmarket with the castle in the backdrop. Stunning.

Would definitely use again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our fabulous Master Suites. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards