“Good value hotel in a great location”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #41 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 27 December 2012

My sister and I visited this hotel in early November to celebrate my birthday. We arrived early (around 10.30) and, as expected, our room wasn't ready but the very helpful receptionist put our luggage in storage for us and even offered to take our mobile number to give us a ring when the room was ready. When we returned to check-in the process was very quick and we were allocated a room at the back of the hotel on the 3rd floor - we'd requested this after reading Tripadvisor reviews about noise if staying in a room at the front. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. We obviously didn't have a view of the castle being at the rear of the hotel but we did get 3 very good night's sleep.

The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and the main course was served to you at your table - a welcome change to the usual hotel buffets. We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the food there, but we did have a sandwich in the bar which was very enjoyable. The cocktails were also excellent and we probably had a couple more Mai Tais than we should have!! Because I'd booked directly with hotel we were given a £10 voucher to spend on food and drink and this was happily acccepted in the bar.

The location of the hotel is excellent and just about everything is in walking distance. The only time we used taxis was to and from the station, and this was only because we had luggage with us. If you purchase a ticket for the sightseeing buses, 2 of the lines (red and green) stop across the road from the hotel. We got the 48 hour Grand Tour ticket which covers all the sights you could wish to see and you can hop on/hop off wherever you wish. Grassmarket is great on an evening and you're spoilt for choice of restaurants and bars.

Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel as a great base for exploring the wonderful city of Edinburgh. It's clean, well located and with lovely staff - what more could you ask for.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind review of the Apex City Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will recommend us to your friends and family. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Reviewed 20 December 2012

It is located within close proximity to all the major attractions and the area itself is very nice and quaint. The castle is 3 minutes away and it is a short walk away from the university of Edinburgh. Princes street is a 5 min walk away and it's where all the shopping and restaurants are. Staff was very nice and helpful. I ordered food to my room as there were no restaurants open at night and the meal was good. The only downside would be that the rooms are a bit "tired", scratches here and there....which to me takes away from the freshness and cleanliness of the room. Otherwise all was good, not a bad choice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City hotel; I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. If you have a moment to spare I would very much appreciate it if you could advise me as to which room you stayed in so that I can arrange for maintenance to have the room painted. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you and appreciate your review.

General manager

Reviewed 15 December 2012

Stayed here while attending a birthday party in the area, room ok, but one chair had a huge tear in it. Chipped furniture. Reception, bar and restaurant areas are nice. Had breakfast, my only complaint was the way the potato scones were cooked. I'm a bit of a potato scone connoisseur and get unhappy if they are not cooked in butter, Think theses ones were semi toasted. Good selection on offer for breakfast.

Good location, for visiting historic parts of town and fringe festival. however bit tricky to find walking from Waverley station. Once you know the short cuts it's ok. Lots of roads works in area, which is not great for car use. Hotel offers car parking, but it's first come first served. So you might end up parking elsewhere as we did. We hired a car for one day to take in sights. Getting out of Edinburgh was dreadful, due to traffic diversions etc. Grassmarket area not really served well by public transport. You need to walk to Bridges or George St for that. At the time Princes St was closed due to tram works.

Staff friendly and helpful and there is a little duck waiting for you to adopt it.

Room Tip: Ask for Castle view
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that the chair in your room had a tear in it and will instruct my Head Housekeeper to check all the bedroom chairs and replace any that are damaged or marked.

I do appreciate your complimentary comments regarding the friendliness of my staff and am glad the Apex Duck in your room has found a new home for Christmas.

Regards

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed here for one night in November on my first visit to Edinburgh. The hotel was not easy to find walking from the station so more detailed instructions on the website would be helpful.
The hotel itself is in a great postion in the Grassmarket area with lots of pubs, restaurants and shops close by. There is even a convenience store accross the road where most things could be picked up.
The room was comfortable and we were allocated a room at the back of the hotel so did not hear the noise from the street at the front which can apparently be noisy.

The lamps could do with replacing and the shower as already mentioned is not powerful at all and the bath is not full length but overall a nice hotel.

We ate in the restaurant which was very good and very reasonable 2 courses for £14.99 and the staff were very nice especially the Spanish lady (sorry I don;t remember your name)

Great location near the castle and an easy walk to the shops on Princess Street.

Overall an excellent value hotel in a great location would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank allyson_cs

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review; I’m glad you had an enjoyable stay and found my staff and the location excellent. I appreciate your comments and feedback and will make a point of passing on your praise to Alba ("the Spanish girl" in the restaurant.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Stayed here 1st of December for one night for a shopping trip with the girls. Good size room with a view of the castle. Comfy bed, large TV, but have to say the shower was a major let down, more of a sprinkle than a shower. Great location in the grassmarket made for a lovely stroll to and from Princess street and gardens, however there was some noise from outside on Saturday night. We had our evening meal in the restaurant which was average, but breakfast the next morning more than made up for it. All the staff at the hotel were great, polite happy and more than willing to help. Overall a great stay at a great price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a castle view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you found the hotel to be great value and appreciate you taking the time to appraise the hotel. I'm sorry your shower water pressure was disappointing and would appreciate it if you could possibly drop me an e-mail informing me of your room number so that I can arrange for my Maintenance Manager to have it repaired. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 8 December 2012

I've stayed here twice on business. The hotel is located in the Grassmarket in Edinburgh and so very centrally located. From the outside the hotel does not look promising at all - but don't be deceived at inside it's modern and tastefully decorated. The room was very reasonably priced but is very clean, comfortable and modern, and reasonably spacious. Decent sized bathroom with walk in shower and a bath, and excellent elemis toiletries. There's also free wifi.

I'd say the quality is several levels about equivalently priced Holiday Inn properties or others in this range. The rooms at the front are probably likely to be a bit noiser - particularly during the summer, as they face out on to a busy street, but there are rooms at the back facing in to the car park which will be quieter.

The Agua bar in the hotel is also excellent, well stocked and stylishly decorated.

I'm not sure you could really ask for more from a central Edinburgh hotel in this price range to be honest.

Note that there are two Apex hotels on the Grassmarket - the Apex International is next door. It's a larger property but I think the City is probably the better of the two .

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front probably noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
zzxxyy, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Apex City following your recent stay. It is good to hear that this was your second time with us on business and you again enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your detailed feedback and hope you will continue to stay with us when in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

Edinburgh's Apex City Hotel offers good rooms and a pleasant environment. Location is great (if you don't mind the steep roads to and from Grassmarket. The room was clean and well furnished, and the complimentary biscuits were much better than the norm!

Only downside was the lateness of the housekeeping - returned after a day of sightseeing at about 4pm, and the room hadn't been cleaned - but an hour later it was all done.

Overall, thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and are happy to recommend us to others.

My apologies that your room was not serviced until quite late. Our room attendants try to service departures first so that we can offer rooms to new guests as early as possible. This does mean that occasionally, on very busy days, that guests staying over may have their room serviced a little later. The next time you stay with us please let reception know if you would prefer to have your room serviced by a particular time and we will ensure your request is carried out.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will find the opportunity to stay again soon.