“Nice hotel”

Ranked #38 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

The Apex is in a great location right bang in the middle of the grass market we were there for just the one night and found our room very clean and well presented, the bed is very comfy and the bathroom spacious with a great shower. nice reception area staff were really helpful and friendly. we booked with breakfast included and that was just lovely too very nice quality food. the only reason I've dropped it from 5 to 4 stars was in some places the hotel a bit rough round the edges i.e. patchy paint work in our room, nasty looking grout in the shower, chipped table tops in the restaurant.. hyper critical I know but should be pointed out seeing as this is 4* rated by both the AA & Scottish tourist board. we had a stunning view of the castle after a room upgrade, all in all it's a lovely hotel and I would go back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ccookies
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked the hotel and would be happy to return to us again in the future. If you could possibly drop me an e-mail with a note of the room you stayed in I will make sure the hotel maintenance department have the walls painted to return the room to the original mark free condition. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Just returned from 2 nights at the Apex City to start off the New Year. Price was pretty good, although to be fair most of Edinburgh seemed to be having a new year sale on rooms at the time, and the location is excellent.
Check in was smooth despite arriving slightly before official times due to an early train, and a ready room was allocated immediately. The room itself was nice and clean, and a decent size. Couple of little care points being the deadbolt on the main door wouldn't work, and self closer wasn't doing its job but apart from that I couldn't fault it. There wasn't a view (room was at the back) but it was nice and quiet - despite sleeping with the window open we didn't experience any noise at night. One nice thing that normally niggles me - the TV didn't have any additional 'hotel' menus - it was just a TV. This meant the menus and program guide worked properly.
Didn't sample breakfast or any of the food / drink offerings, so can't comment on them, but again on checkout the staff were excellent, asking if we would like to leave our bags for a bit before I managed to get in with the question.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay at the Apex City hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and would appreciate it if you could take the time to drop me a short e-mail advising me which room you stayed in so that I can ensure the self closer is repaired.

I look forward to hearing from you - my e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights just after Hogmanay had finished. Wonderful service, well greeted and the rooms were lovely. Great walk in shower/wet rooms and spacious wardrobe storage. Large tv in the room and very comfortable beds. Value for money was fantastic and it's location meant easy access to attractions

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest

It is always good to start the New Year receiving good comments and I really appreciate your positive feedback. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope you will stay with us again soon.

Wallasey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

This a lovely, modern hotel with a great view of the castle. The staff are friendly and helpful, the hotel and the rooms are exceptionally clean and finished to a high standard. The Royal Mile and many of Edinburgh's attractions are only a short walk away. We also made use of the 'Yu Time' spa in the neighbouring Apex International Hotel which was pleasant and we enjoyed a set Hogmanay Meal in the Agua Bar, the food was amazing.

The only negative was the noise of the heating/air con throughout the night but it didn't impact our stay and we will certainly recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City hotel. Your feedback was very complimentary and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. If you have a moment to spare please let me know which room you stayed in so that I can have the heating system checked as it should not be noisy. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Kind regards

Bebington, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

Couldn't really complain at this hotel, Nice family room, Nice big TV, very comfortable. Breakfasts where very nice. Very central location for both the castle the shops. Would recommend. Staff where friendly. Only slight concern is that they share the car park with the neighbouring hotel - we got a parking space but it was luck more than good judgement!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel; I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We actually have a small car park at the back of the hotel, which is on a first come basis. Once that is full we have an arrangement with our sister hotel - next door, whereby our guests can use their car park. Should that also be full we have negotiated a discount at the local NCP car park for our residents to use.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

My sister and I visited this hotel in early November to celebrate my birthday. We arrived early (around 10.30) and, as expected, our room wasn't ready but the very helpful receptionist put our luggage in storage for us and even offered to take our mobile number to give us a ring when the room was ready. When we returned to check-in the process was very quick and we were allocated a room at the back of the hotel on the 3rd floor - we'd requested this after reading Tripadvisor reviews about noise if staying in a room at the front. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. We obviously didn't have a view of the castle being at the rear of the hotel but we did get 3 very good night's sleep.

The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and the main course was served to you at your table - a welcome change to the usual hotel buffets. We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the food there, but we did have a sandwich in the bar which was very enjoyable. The cocktails were also excellent and we probably had a couple more Mai Tais than we should have!! Because I'd booked directly with hotel we were given a £10 voucher to spend on food and drink and this was happily acccepted in the bar.

The location of the hotel is excellent and just about everything is in walking distance. The only time we used taxis was to and from the station, and this was only because we had luggage with us. If you purchase a ticket for the sightseeing buses, 2 of the lines (red and green) stop across the road from the hotel. We got the 48 hour Grand Tour ticket which covers all the sights you could wish to see and you can hop on/hop off wherever you wish. Grassmarket is great on an evening and you're spoilt for choice of restaurants and bars.

Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel as a great base for exploring the wonderful city of Edinburgh. It's clean, well located and with lovely staff - what more could you ask for.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind review of the Apex City Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will recommend us to your friends and family. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

It is located within close proximity to all the major attractions and the area itself is very nice and quaint. The castle is 3 minutes away and it is a short walk away from the university of Edinburgh. Princes street is a 5 min walk away and it's where all the shopping and restaurants are. Staff was very nice and helpful. I ordered food to my room as there were no restaurants open at night and the meal was good. The only downside would be that the rooms are a bit "tired", scratches here and there....which to me takes away from the freshness and cleanliness of the room. Otherwise all was good, not a bad choice.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City hotel; I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. If you have a moment to spare I would very much appreciate it if you could advise me as to which room you stayed in so that I can arrange for maintenance to have the room painted. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you and appreciate your review.

General manager