“Will hopefully visit again”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #40 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Will hopefully visit again”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

An excellent hotel with extremely friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the Scottish breakfast cooked to order.

An ideal location for the Old Town - even though nowhere's too far to walk. The Grassmarket is THE place to be!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review - I'm glad you found my staff to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your stay. Looking at your other reviews you appear to have managed to visit quite a lot of the attractions Edinburgh has to offer. As you quite correctly mentioned our location is great for sightseeing as most places are within easy walking distance.

As your title suggest - I hope you "will visit again" soon.

Regards

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Lovely rooms very comfortable great TV's great location. It was a little pricy at £88 per night without Breakfast but staff very helpful and friendly and we got Breakfast for a special offer of £10 extra.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank candydublin
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you found your room comfortable and enjoyed your breakfast. Hopefully you took full advantage of the varied selection on the cold buffet but saved enough space for some hot food as well?

Hope you will return again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I have been to Edinburgh many times, but never stayed in the Grassmarket area or in an Apex hotel. The hotel is lovely, 10 mins walk from the station, up some steep hills if you have bags. The staff were very friendly and efficient, check in was swift. The room had all working amenities and complimentary bottled water and was quite clean. The bathroom was a bit worn and the carpet in the bedroom looked like it needs a really good hoover, or to just be replaced, this is the only reason it is not getting a full 5. As we booked through the hotel directly, we got a £10 voucher to spend on food or drink, not breakfast, which I thought was a little cheap! So our ten pounds got us a large glass of house red and a bottle of beer, with 5p to spare! Our room faced the staff car park at the back and was one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in, so I was very pleased. We didn't eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on the food, we did use the leisure facilities at the International, and it would have been lovely but was a bit over crowed, and the sauna didn't work, even though there was no out of order notices. There was no one around to ask if it had to be specially turned on.
Overall, a lovely hotel, would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room if you like your sleep.
Dear Guest

I was pleased to read that you "would highly recommend" the Apex City Hotel and found your bedroom to be particularly quiet at night. Our ‘book direct’ offer of a £10.00 voucher to spend on food and drink unfortunately does not include breakfast. Many of our guests pre-book and pay for breakfast in advance at the reduced rate of £10.00 and excluding breakfast from the offer avoids any confusion. The voucher can however be used as full or part payment against room service, dinner or drinks in the bar. I hope you enjoyed using it?

As a regular visitor to Edinburgh I am glad you have discovered the Apex City and I hope you will return here soon.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This hotel has a great location, in Edinburgh's Grassmarket. The amenities are also good. But it is the staff who lift it into another class; they are friendly, helpful and very good at what they do. We had a couple of minor dramas during our stay, but thanks to staff like Vinni, Robert and the two bar guys who share the same name (which escapes me) everything was sorted and we left having had a fantastic stay. The hospitality and helpfulness was above and beyond. Thanks guys, we will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the castle!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear Guest

Having just read your glowing review of the Apex City hotel I will make a point of personally thanking those members of staff you have highlighted - I know they will be pleased. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and note that you plan to return in the future.

Thank you again for your review.

Lindsay sturrock
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

Great little hotel behind Edinburgh Castle. Stone throw's distance from Royal Mile, castle and other places of interest. Clean and well maintained. Staff was courteous and helpful. Will definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for marking the hotel as excellent in all areas - I really do appreciate your kind comments and score. I do hope that you will find the time to stay with us again in the near future.

Scotland
Reviewed 5 January 2013

The Apex is in a great location right bang in the middle of the grass market we were there for just the one night and found our room very clean and well presented, the bed is very comfy and the bathroom spacious with a great shower. nice reception area staff were really helpful and friendly. we booked with breakfast included and that was just lovely too very nice quality food. the only reason I've dropped it from 5 to 4 stars was in some places the hotel a bit rough round the edges i.e. patchy paint work in our room, nasty looking grout in the shower, chipped table tops in the restaurant.. hyper critical I know but should be pointed out seeing as this is 4* rated by both the AA & Scottish tourist board. we had a stunning view of the castle after a room upgrade, all in all it's a lovely hotel and I would go back.

1 Thank ccookies
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked the hotel and would be happy to return to us again in the future. If you could possibly drop me an e-mail with a note of the room you stayed in I will make sure the hotel maintenance department have the walls painted to return the room to the original mark free condition. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Just returned from 2 nights at the Apex City to start off the New Year. Price was pretty good, although to be fair most of Edinburgh seemed to be having a new year sale on rooms at the time, and the location is excellent.
Check in was smooth despite arriving slightly before official times due to an early train, and a ready room was allocated immediately. The room itself was nice and clean, and a decent size. Couple of little care points being the deadbolt on the main door wouldn't work, and self closer wasn't doing its job but apart from that I couldn't fault it. There wasn't a view (room was at the back) but it was nice and quiet - despite sleeping with the window open we didn't experience any noise at night. One nice thing that normally niggles me - the TV didn't have any additional 'hotel' menus - it was just a TV. This meant the menus and program guide worked properly.
Didn't sample breakfast or any of the food / drink offerings, so can't comment on them, but again on checkout the staff were excellent, asking if we would like to leave our bags for a bit before I managed to get in with the question.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay at the Apex City hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and would appreciate it if you could take the time to drop me a short e-mail advising me which room you stayed in so that I can ensure the self closer is repaired.

I look forward to hearing from you - my e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.