“Great Value & location”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #40 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed at an Apex in London and had a great experience so I was very happy when I planned my NYE trip to Edinburgh that I could stay at an Apex as sometimes European hotel quality can vary. The quality actually exceeded the London one. The staff was so nice and always wanted to help. When we booked, there were no rooms available for NYE. When we checked in, we mentioned that we had hoped to stay for NYE (we made other plans). They put us on a list and actually had an opening and called us and offered us the room! We had never been to Edinburgh before, the desk staff gave us information on where to go, where to eat, etc. So willing to help. The hotel was clean and spacious. It felt safe. The location was great, you could see Edinburgh Castle from the front steps. We never had to take cabs or anything, everything was in walking distance (given, you had to walk up some hills!). I would definitely recommend staying there and if I return to Edinburgh, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The building is on a block that is a hill. So the rear of the hotel, even if you are on the 2nd or 3...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel. It was a real pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at one of our sister hotels in London and then had an equally good time at the Apex City. New Year is a fabulous time to visit Edinburgh and I do hope you will be able to return again in the future.

I appreciate your praise for my reception staff and have already made them aware of your kind comments.

Lindsay sturrock

There are newer reviews for Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Reviewed 12 April 2013

I met friends last weekend at this hotel and we had a meal in the restaurant. It was fab! The pre-dinner cocktails were yummy, the food great and the service was so friendly. My friends stayed overnight and loved this hotel. It may be a 4 star hotel but treated us to 5 star service. Well recommended.

Room Tip: My friends asked for a quiet room when they arrived and were given a room at the back of the hotel a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thanks for your kind review of the hotel. I'm really pleased you had a great meal and will pass your praise onto my staff. Thank you for recommending us and I do hope you will come and dine with us again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Great service. Good deal for the money. Staff is very friendly and professional. I booked through an internet site so I got a great deal. Drawback is the stuck me in he back of the hotel right by the working staff. Not a big issue but just be aware that you get what you pay for!
Area is perfect. close enough to the Royal mile that you can easily walk, far enough that it is not swamped with tourist.
Breakfast. Not worth it. You can get a much better breakfast jst outside the hotel in one of the local pubs and you don't have to worry about the 10 am cut of time!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am glad you found us to be good value for money. Should you stay with us again in the future and find anything about your room you do not like please let us know immediately and we will do our best to change it for you.

My thanks again for taking the time to leave us feedback.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a girlie weekend recently and just loved it! A very warm welcome, lush bar, seriously comfy beds and fabulous toiletries - what's not to like?? Oh and the location is great, lots of great bars and restaurants right on your doorstep! I've booked to go back already :)

Room Tip: High floor so you get a view of the castle.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Not only a fantastic review of the hotel but confirmation that you have already booked to return!

Thank you for posting such great feedback and trusting us with looking after you again when you return to Edinburgh. If you would like the same room please drop me an e-mail and I will make the necessary arrangements. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Apex City soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Friendly staff, in what is a modern and hard reception, but the rooms are very comfortable, well designed and worth every penny.

The hotel is just next to another in the chain teh Apex International and both overlook the Grassmarket and the Castle. Your not guarenteed a castle view but the moment you leave the front door you are faced with lots of choice for eating and drinking adn find yourself just a few minutes walk from the Castle and the Royal Mile. If you want a hotel placed for exploring this is a great place to start.

4 Stars is the official rating and if I compare this hotel to others of teh same grade I recon it easily beats most, If you have experience 4 Star in London then this place will beat your expectations by a long way.

Modern decor, tiles, marble, striped modern design carpets, lit number panels in the hotel corridors, and simple design in the rooms.

Rooms, well ours, was big enough to handle a large double bed, two comfy chairs and table, large dressing table/desk and still have lots of floor space. The desk had sensibly placed power, its own hair dryer, a heat mat for hair straighteners and a lots of space.

Lighting was goo and well controlled, though the light above the bathroom mirror was too dim to make shaving easy.

Heating was OK, easy to add heat, no aircon that I could tell, but the windows open for fresh air.

Storage was sufficient for a threee day stay with Iron and board if needed.

Bathroom was large and had a bath and walk in shower, W/C and sink. Note to the designers to add to the lighting in the bathroom, add a sink that is deep enough from the wall so that us shavers can shace without spilling water;, just too small, but only just. Otherwise well catered for the bathroom scores highly.

Bed was comfy, pillows soft and large, duvet warm, but the materess, though hard enough was a little bouncy for my liking (don't ask!).

Didn't try breakfast or food in general as in this part of the city there is just so much choice for great eating. The restaurant in the Apex International might be worth a look as its on the top floor with great views of the castle.

We stayed in April, booked a special deal room for two, three nights, no meals and paid just £200, beating the best price from the HI Express just around the corner (where I have also stayed and which doesn't come close to the quality or location of the Apex City).

Parking is strictly limited (about 8 spaces at max and is £10 per night) there is a deal for a local NCP Parking at 30% off, though no real space to drop off cases first.

All in, I can't fault the hotel and would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front might have good views but Grassmarket is noisy on a Friday/Saturday night, rooms...

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of the Apex City hotel. I greatly appreciate your comments regarding our star rating and have taken note of your feedback regarding the lighting level in your bathroom. If you have a moment I would very much appreciate it if you could drop me an e-mail with a note of the room number you stayed in so that I may have the opportunity to review the lighting level and increase the power of the bulbs where required. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

I'm really pleased you plan to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

General manager

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Hotel was fine. Room tidy and well serviced with most necessary appliances. We paid for breakfast, which was an acceptable standard. Hotel is well situated; close to many bars, restaurants and attractions such as Edinburgh Castle.

While everything was fine with the hotel, it fell short of its four star rating. It did not exceed expectations in any way. Staff were polite but not over friendly. Room was functional but not luxurious enough for a four star hotel. As already stated, breakfast was fine but didn't really meet its £10 per head advanced price tag, small issues such as running out of bowls, no whole milk available (even though it is offered on the menu) etc.

All in all, hotel was fine but no better than this. Expected better from a four star hotel based on previous experience.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. I will make a point of passing your comments regarding the lack of breakfast bowls to my Restaurant Manager so he can check if we need to purchase additional stock. My sincere apologies that we ran out of whole milk the morning you dined with us.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I do hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

The hotel is very nice, huge room and good sized bathroom. Room service very good too.
It has a lovely bar for drinks and food, also in a very good location. I had a great time and would recoment Apex to my friends.

Dear Guest

I am very pleased you had a good time at the hotel, liked your room and enjoyed the other facilities the hotel has to offer.

Thank you for your review and for recommending us to your friends.