“Look no further”

Ranked #42 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Look no further”
Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

Located ideally for pubs and restaraunts and close to castle and royal mile this comfortable hotel with spacious rooms is one I will return to . I compliment them on an excellent choice of fine whiskys (over 40 , yes I counted !) Served by an attentive barman . All in all a very pleasant stay. Well done.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Stevos747
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear Guest

I'm pleased you had a pleasant stay with us, found our location central and particularly enjoyed our range of whisky!! Situated in the heart of the Capital City and on the doorstep of the Castle It would be a crime not offer a decent range of the National drink - and I don't mean Irn-Bru..

Thank you for your review and I do hope you will stay with us again soon.

Best wishes

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Maidstone
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We stayed for 3 nights to take part in the rock n roll half marathon. Took the airlink 100 bus from the airport. Very easy, took 30 mins and cost £6 each return. The hotel is about a 15 min walk away from Waverly train station where the bus terminated.

I had requested a quiet room with a castle view. We arrived at 11am and was told the room wasn't ready although there was one at the front we could have although it wasn't as quiet so we decided to wait. Reception staff were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and they looked after out case for us.

Finally got in the room at 2pm. Was very clean and modern and had a partial view of the castle. On Saturday night I could hear some noise from the revellers enjoying the pubs but nothing major. We ate in the restaurant and had a 3 course fixed menu with a bottle of wine for £40 per couple. The food was excellent and this was a good value. We also booked breakfast for 2 days which cost £10 per person if you book the night before. Again the variety and quality was good.

We also sampled the cocktails in the bar. A cosmopolitan was £5.95 ish. I wanted a Black Russian which wasn't on the menu but the batman said he could make up for me. I was a bit disappointed that I was charged for each component of the drink making this an expensive choice (around £9) but it was my own fault for being picky!

The hotel is near to all the sights. Make sure you visit the Hula cafe across the street, excellent coffee and bagels and a cheaper alternative for breakfast.

Would recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side of the hotel are quieter but still have a castle view.
Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found my reception staff to be friendly and helpful.

I'm glad you took the time to dine in our restaurant and found the food "excellent" - we try to offer a range of menus and options and it was good to read that you found something you both liked. I will pass your comments to my Head Chef as I know he will be pleased.

My thanks again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

northumberland
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Spotless room with lovely view of the castle with a firm and very comfortable bed, good bathroom with high end products and a free duck!
Breakfast was excellent value for money but book when you arrive as it is much cheaper. Bar very pleasent with reasonable priced drinks.
I would imagine that it could get a little noisy in the Grass market at weekends, but it is city centre so that what I would expect.
However the best thing about the hotel is the friendly, well trained, mostly young staff everyone of them put them selves out to ensure we were happy.
Would reccommend this hotel for good value, comfort and location.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view room if you want a lovely view and dont mind a little outside noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel. It's nice to know that our Apex duck is going to a good home - please remember that each Apex hotel offers a different coloured duck so you can add to your collection!

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and you will recommend the hotel to your friends. I will also pass on your kind comments to my staff and really appreciate your time for leaving such kind feedback.

London UK
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Short walk to the Royal Mile, castle, and the usual Edinburgh sites. 4th floor room was not amazing, but was clean and perfectly serviceable.
We found buying breakfast once there (£10 pp if ordered the day before - call to see if they're still running this special) was cheaper than booking a 'breakfast included' rate on any site, including the hotel's own. For that price you get a full Scottish breakfast (or something smaller if you prefer), plus the cold buffet.
Thai Orchid restaurant up the hill towards the castle is very good, but call ahead to reserve, especially at weekends.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm glad you managed to take advantage of our discounted breakfast offer - which is indeed still available. Next time you stay with us please check with reception for information regarding our special dinner offers as they also offer exceptional value.

My thanks again for your review.

NJ
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed at an Apex in London and had a great experience so I was very happy when I planned my NYE trip to Edinburgh that I could stay at an Apex as sometimes European hotel quality can vary. The quality actually exceeded the London one. The staff was so nice and always wanted to help. When we booked, there were no rooms available for NYE. When we checked in, we mentioned that we had hoped to stay for NYE (we made other plans). They put us on a list and actually had an opening and called us and offered us the room! We had never been to Edinburgh before, the desk staff gave us information on where to go, where to eat, etc. So willing to help. The hotel was clean and spacious. It felt safe. The location was great, you could see Edinburgh Castle from the front steps. We never had to take cabs or anything, everything was in walking distance (given, you had to walk up some hills!). I would definitely recommend staying there and if I return to Edinburgh, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The building is on a block that is a hill. So the rear of the hotel, even if you are on the 2nd or 3...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel. It was a real pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at one of our sister hotels in London and then had an equally good time at the Apex City. New Year is a fabulous time to visit Edinburgh and I do hope you will be able to return again in the future.

I appreciate your praise for my reception staff and have already made them aware of your kind comments.

Lindsay sturrock
Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I met friends last weekend at this hotel and we had a meal in the restaurant. It was fab! The pre-dinner cocktails were yummy, the food great and the service was so friendly. My friends stayed overnight and loved this hotel. It may be a 4 star hotel but treated us to 5 star service. Well recommended.

Room Tip: My friends asked for a quiet room when they arrived and were given a room at the back of the hotel a...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thanks for your kind review of the hotel. I'm really pleased you had a great meal and will pass your praise onto my staff. Thank you for recommending us and I do hope you will come and dine with us again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Great service. Good deal for the money. Staff is very friendly and professional. I booked through an internet site so I got a great deal. Drawback is the stuck me in he back of the hotel right by the working staff. Not a big issue but just be aware that you get what you pay for!
Area is perfect. close enough to the Royal mile that you can easily walk, far enough that it is not swamped with tourist.
Breakfast. Not worth it. You can get a much better breakfast jst outside the hotel in one of the local pubs and you don't have to worry about the 10 am cut of time!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am glad you found us to be good value for money. Should you stay with us again in the future and find anything about your room you do not like please let us know immediately and we will do our best to change it for you.

My thanks again for taking the time to leave us feedback.