“Average hotel”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #39 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here one night. The hotel is very well located and offers good service. The room that we stayed in was indeed large, but still felt small due to lack of daylight from the small window. I am sure that the hotel was clean enough, but because the hotel is in need of a refurbishment it all looked a bit worn. The shower and bathroom is especially in need of an upgrade.

The personell was very friendly and helpfull, however the woman you first meet when you are having your breakfast could need a valium and a course in smiling. All in all this was an OK hotel nothing more nothing less, and you could find better hotels for the same price in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
LisaCameronDGM, Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback on our hotel and I certainly take onboard your comments and I have shared them with the team at the City.

I am pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and that they offered good service during your stay. I have spoken with the female members of our breakfast team and I have reminded them that they should always smile on a morning because this sets the tone for everyone's day and we all want a good day!

Thank you again and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Edinburgh in the near future.

Lisa

There are newer reviews for Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Reviewed 22 August 2013

You might think that if you can book a hotel room at three days' notice during the Edinburgh Festival, there must be something wrong with it. Think again. The Apex City is clean, comfortable and well situated; the Grassmarket is a lively part of town without having the scrum of people that infests the Royal Mile, and is well situated for Festival and Fringe venues. The rooms might be a bit on the small side if you're contemplating a stay of more than three or four days, but that depends on your tastes and how much luggage you're schlepping. Breakfast at a tenner is on the pricey side - you can get a full Scottish at a cafe up the road for less than that, black pudding included - but overall the place has a lot to recommend it.

1  Thank Ian C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and it was good to hear such positive comments about our hotel and we are certainly in a great spot to enable Festival visitors to reach all the good venues in Edinburgh.
I'm not sure if our breakfast arrangements were explained to you properly but the £10 includes an extensive help yourself continental breakfast selection and numerous options & choices of hot food and our traditional Scottish breakfast incudes haggis, blackpudding, potatoe scones plus all the normal breakfast items you would expect. If this was not explained I am very sorry but I do hope that you enjoyed your breakfast and it set up for the day.

Thank you again.

Lisa

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The hotel was perfectly located for the Festival and Grassmarket has a great buzz. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was comfortable.We struggled a bit with our Internet connection. Would go back! We love Edinburgh and the Fringe is a joy.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back don't have views but are very quiet at night. During the Festival there are lo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Martin

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I was pleased to read that you would be happy to return again.

Reading your feedback; I noted that you had a problem with our free Wi-Fi. I am sorry if you encountered a problem getting onto the Internet. Our system is very new and generally offers exceptional coverage - I do hope you let reception know as the staff are always happy to assist with any technical issues, or can arrange for you to talk to a specialist should you still be experiencing problems.

The Festival is great fun and I'm glad you had a good time. Hopefully you will return to us again next year.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed at this Hotel for three nights last week. On arrival we were greeted by very nice helpful staff My 10 year old Grandson was given a goodie bag which was a very nice touch, he was immediately impressed. Our room was a family room with sofa bed, very nice, a bottle of wine and chocs too. Everything perfect until last morning of our stay. We went for breakfast as usual it was quite busy. My husband ordered porridge to have before our main breakfast, it took 15 mins to arrive and was cold, so had to send it back, after another 10 mins we had to ask where it was and our waitress went to get it! We thought never mind breakfast will be here soon, we had to ask again for breakfast, I had ordered poached eggs, they were too hard to eat so I sent them back and
got undercooked eggs, gave up, breakfast had already taken one send quarter hours 9.15 to 10.30
We had a five hour journey ahead of us back to Leeds. The restaurant manager was very nice and did apolgise, offered complimentary drinks, not much use as we were going home.
The other problem is the heat in the rooms, surely this grade of Hotel should have aircon, fan was useless we had to use it all night, very noisy.
Despite these niggles we would stay again but not in summer.

Room Tip: Front rooms give views of castle but you get street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that we were almost "perfect", but we let you down a little on your last morning. Rest assured that I passed your comments to my Head Chef and he investigating where we went wrong on that occasion. I was relieved however to read that you would still stay with us again, and if you do make a booking please let me know so that I can personally ensure that everything is perfect for you in every way.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel 3 nights, firstly a big thank you to Emma from reception, she was very helpful & a beautiful personality to match. Fantastic customer service.
Our room was on 3111. What a fantastic view of the castle, room was so clean , everyday they would leave 2 bottles of water, teas, coffees , hot chocolates & buiscuts. Room had iron & ironing table. All the toiletries with hair conditioner as well & a cute duck to take home. We had breakfast & it was fantastic. Lots to choose from.
We got the airport bus link which was so cheap for 6 pound return & was right outside airport doors, very easy , very convenient. Hotel was about 10 min walk from bus drop off. The hotel is very central in the old town shops , cafes, at doorstep. Caslte & tattoo literally across street. Next time I visit Edinburgh this is my hotel I will choose. Thank you for an amazing stay

Room Tip: Ask for castle view
2  Thank foreveritalian

Dear Guest

It was good to read that Emma in reception looked after you so well. I will make a point of thanking her personally for demonstrating great customer service. I know she will be pleased to hear your comments. I am also glad that you had an enjoyable stay and ‘Bobby’, our little green Apex duck, has a new home.

Thank you for your kind review and I do hope you will return again soon.

Lindsay sturrock

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Nice and simple. One of the few new construction - all the rooms are the same! You have all the basics with a very nice staff. They are all friendly and helpful.

One plus for the hotel is the 24 room service, a nice amenity when coming back late to the room (We were there for the summer festivals)

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Oliver

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I really appreciate your kind comments regarding my staff – I will make a point of passing on your praise.
Edinburgh is a long way from Brooklyn, but should you return in the future I do hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. The staff where very helpful and the food was nice. Its a nice location and it isn't far from the town centre. I would recommend this to my friends from out of town. They would enjoy staying here during the festival.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Guest

It was good to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and would recommend us to your friends. The Festival is a great time to enjoy Edinburgh and we are very lucky to be situated in the heart of all the festivities.

Thank you for your kind review and I do hope you will return for the Festival again next year.