“Fabulous belated birthday treat”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #43 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous belated birthday treat”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is the third time I have stayed at the Apex city hotel – it for me is the place I want to stay when I visit Edinburgh. This time, the hotel booking was a very belated birthday gift to my dad to celebrate his 60th. He was delighted with the hotel, the luxury of our rooms and the value for money the breakfast offered (£10pp for a full Scottish breakfast and continental breakfast).

Hotel staff and restaurant staff can make or break a holiday – and I was seriously impressed with the standard of service that we were offered by all staff, the reception we were greeted with on arrival was very warm and welcoming, and each approach to the reception staff was professional and friendly. I also want to thank the Apex city for the allocation of our rooms – which were really lovely and luxurious!

As an aside we were only in Edinburgh for two and a half days – but we used the tour buses to explore Edinburgh – which presented great value for money – and we wouldn’t have realised this without the leaflet we were given by a male receptionist. I have to say – the amount of walking we did whilst in Edinburgh meant I could barely walk when I got home – and I took a day off to recuperate from our exertions in Edinburgh!

I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Em T
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear Guest

It was great to read that you have now stayed with us 3-times and still enjoy your visits. Repeat customers are extremely important to me and I always want to personally know if anything ever changes or our standards drop. In addition, so that we can continue to look after you, please feel free to contact me by e-mail with your details and room preference so I can add them to your profile thereby ensuring you receive the type of room you prefer. You can also let me know if you have any special requirements. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. The hotel is in a great location in the Grassmarket. It's very close to the castle and some boutiques and pubs. The rooms are well equipped. The breakfasts are good, especially the a la carte menu. I did not find the reception staff very friendly. They did not seem to be local and we're not very welcoming. Although breakfasts were hearty, they did not have the smoked haddock two mornings in a row. Room make up seemed to be taking a long time. When I tried checking in at 4pm I was asked to wait for 30 minutes. There is free internet access on a single PC on the second floor which was a nice touch. The key winning factor is the location. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back. Facing the Grassmarket could be noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We normally pride ourselves for offering a friendly welcome and I am extremely disappointed to read that you did not feel this was the case when you arrived. Should you have a spare minute to e-mail a note of the date you stayed and your room number I will be able to determine which member of my staff checked you in. I can then ensure they are provided with additional customer care training. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk and I will be very pleased to hear from you.

My apologies for the disappointing welcome, but I am pleased that you wrote that you would still stay with us again.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Myself and Wife had our whole entire wedding here at this hotel, the staff and the preperation the guys did to make our day even more special was absolutely amazing.

A special mention to Claire and Lisa for organising our day - both a credit to the company

Our guests who travelled from far away stayed at the hotel and were all impressed with the rooms

I would rate this hotel very highly.

Keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for trusting us with such an important event - it was a pleasure to be able to look after you both.

I am very pleased that it all went so well and that my staff, particularly Lisa and Claire were a credit to the hotel. I do hope that you enjoyed your honeymoon and married life is working well for you.

Many thanks for posting your review and all my best for the future for you and your wife.

Belfair, Washington
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This was a nice hotel. Clean, quiet and perfect location. It's in Old Town. The restaurant was very good and Robert "aka" Ginger was a very good waiter with a sense of humor. You can walk up the hill to the castle.

1 Thank Mel2013_13
LisaCameronDGM, Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Your positive comments are really appreciated and I would like to thank you for taking the time to inform us about your recent visit to the Apex City. I am particularly happy to read your comments about Robert and I agree with you 100% he does have a great sense of humor and he passes his thanks for him getting a special mention.

It is our service that makes an experience at Apex City as memorable as many others on this site and others have described it to be.

Thank you again and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the City in the near future.

Deputy General Manager
Mississippi
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is a very nice hotel located in the Grassmarket. Apex hotels offer very good service and amenities. This hotel was a little older than the one in London we stayed at, but still very nice. The beds and linens are wonderful. This room had a postcard view of the castle. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was 202. It is located near the elevator, so not super quiet but had a beautiful view of t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
LisaCameronDGM, Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Apex City. We are very lucky to have such a beautiful view to wake up to in a morning and it always sets you up for a great day of exploring.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Apex City in the near future.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stayed at the Apex City Hotel for 3 nights for a weekend city break. Firstly, the Hotel is in a perfect location, right on Grassmarket Street which is packed with pubs, clubs and restaurants and less than 5 mins walk to The Royal Mile and Castle. The staff were so friendly right from the minute we checked in. I had contacted the hotel in advance and requested a room with a view of the Castle and although the hotel was fully booked they accommodated us no problem. It was also my boyfriends birthday and they had left a birthday card for him in the room which was such a nice touch. Just to note if you want a room with a view it means that you will be to the front of the Hotel which is on a busy street so you will have a lot of noise.
The room was spacious and had the most comfortable pillows! I was a little disappointed that there was no in-room safe or mini fridge though.
If you miss breakfast Billy Mulligan's across the road serves a full fry all day!
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again if I ever return.

2 Thank Jess19811
LisaCameronDGM, Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on the Apex City and I was very pleased to hear that you had a good stay and you enjoyed the Grassmarket. We are very lucky to wake up to such a great view everyday.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.
northern ireland
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Really liked this hotel. The staff were all really friendly and efficient, bar prices no higher than you would expect and as everyone says the location is great. Bedroom was stylish and spotlessly clean and the bed was the most comfy ever - blissful pillows too! However one thing spoiled an otherwise great stay - it was SO hot. The restaurant was hot, the corridors were very hot and even with the window open all night the bedroom was so hot I barely slept all night - despite the comfy bed. My colleagues said their rooms were the same. However the Edinburgh weather was unreasonably warm so maybe the heating was set for colder weather and as winter descends it will level out. Otherwise I would happily recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank she1959
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you found your room too hot. As you quite correctly mentioned our heating had been adjusted due to falling temperatures, however there was a short period of nice weather which caught us out. My apologies that you were kept awake by the heat.

I am glad however that you are still happy to stay with us again in the future and If you let me know if you make a booking I will personally ensure you receive an upgrade with my compliments.