“Good price for a great location”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #39 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We recently stayed for a long weekend and were met by friendly and helpful staff. The room size was average but the bathroom was of a very good size with both a bath and a walk-in shower. We found the bed and bedding to be a little hard and uncomfortable but that may be taste. The rooms are well appointed with sockets and light, and kept clean with daily visits from the cleaning staff. We had breakfast included with our room and were pleased to see that it was menu options rather than the increasingly common buffet only options. The cooked breakfast selection was pretty good as well as continental options available as a buffet and fresh juices. The location is fantastic - within walking distance to the main town, shops/restaurant area, Waverley Station as well as the Castle and other tourist attractions. Would happily recommend to anyone looking for a convenient and reasonably priced hotel for a weekend stay.

Room Tip: North (window) facing rooms have a view of the Castle
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sus86london
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Guest

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, found our location central for all the places you wanted to visit and are happy to recommend the hotel to your friends.
I do appreciate you taking the time to write a review and I hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Reviewed 12 November 2013

me and my wife.have been going to edinburgh,for the last ten years 3 times a year.booking train in advance[cheaper]we eventually.came across.this gem.manager mr lyndsay sturrock and his staff.make your stay .very comfortable.breakfast great.even have haggis cake.on it if you want give it try you will be suprised.evening meals very nice.and drinks reasonable good location to see every attractions.hotel is nice and quiet at night.also there is a host of bars and restaurants straight.over the road.hotel located ten minutes walk.from waverley train station.lookig. forward.to going back for a long weekend.just before xmas. hotel also has a car park

Room Tip: ask for a high room on side street.you have a lovely view of edinburgh castle
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ronwatts

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind comments about the hotel and my staff. It is fantastic to read that after all these visits to the Apex City you enjoy your stay as much as ever. It's also interesting that you have developed a taste for haggis - I will make a point of saving a large portion for you when you come to stay with us at Christmas!

Thank you for your review and I look forward to seeing you again in a few weeks.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

we stayed as a family in 2 rooms for 3 nights in the October school holidays. Rooms fine, though in ours we had to use the sofa bed for our 9 year old which she said was the most uncomfy thing she has slept on! All other amenities in room were good - e.g. toiletries, tea/coffee/water etc. Shower nice and powerful, tv worked fine.

Just was a bit inconvenient that although I had booked the 2 rooms together, one was on the 1st floor and the other on the 3rd. We had no view whatsoever, just the side of a building.

Breakfast was included in our rate and there was an excellent choice of continental and cooked breakfasts. Had the full Scottish on 2 mornings and that did us til the afternoon. Only complaint about the restaurant was the temperature - really cold!

A bonus for us was that I had bought 2 "itison" vouchers to dine in the Agua restaurant in the hotel (where you have breakfast as well) - 2 courses for 4 people & a bottle of wine all for £55 (instead of £126). This was excellent value and even included the sirloin steaks on the menu. The food was very good. The restaurant was quiet on the occassions we ate there, that is probably why they are using promotions like this. Anyway that didnt bother us and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful - even substituting one of the veggie mains for from the other menu for granny.

The bar area is an extension of the restaurant near the front door - also extremely cold here, think the air con was on......so on a wet late afternoon we could only manage one glass of wine each - just as well as it was £8.30 for a large glass of pinot grigot!!

What made this hotel great for us was the accommodating friendly staff at breakfast and dinner.
Also the Grassmarket has a good buzz about it and is only a 15 minute walk to Princess Street.

Room Tip: I think you have to book a suite to get a room with a view of the castle. Otherwise keep the curtain...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank donna W

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be good value. I am sorry that we did not manage to arrange for your rooms to be closer together. Unfortunately we only have a limited number of family rooms and this may have been the reason why we could not get you closer. I am also concerned that your daughter did not find her sofa bed very comfortable as I am not aware of any that have faults. With this in mind I really would appreciate it if you could possibly drop me an e-mail with a note of the room you stayed in so that I can have the bed checked and repaired. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Apex during our stay in Edinburgh recently. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable, quiet and walking distance to restaurants and tourist attractions on the Royal Mile. (As with all of Edinburgh, a walk is usually up or down a hill.) I long staircase is located across the street up to the Royal Mile. Check in was professional but no extra information was offered and I get the impression they normally deal with business travelers. Minor complaint - we only got one bar of soap (there were 2 of us) and had to ask for another. As rooms go, this was probably the best appointed hotel we stayed at during our trip. I was glad we chose the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gladrad328

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review - I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Personally it was very pleasing to read that you felt we were the "best appointed hotel" that you experienced during your trip to the UK. I am also glad that you found the hotel convenient for visiting the many interesting sights Edinburgh has to offer.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel and I hope you will consider staying with us again should you return to Edinburgh in the future.

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

The rooms are average size for a city hotel but clean and tidy. Complementary bottles of water, tea and coffee were provided. The toilet had a bath and wet room. The TV would not switch on but a phone call to reception sorted it out very quickly. The bed was too soft and springy for me but may suit others. The rooms only have heating but I find that, even in Winter, hotels can be warm, so for me they really should think about installing Air Con, to give guests more choice on the temperature of the room. They make good use of their position and even in our side room we could see the Castle (just). The hotel is just a short walk from the Royal Mile and Castle and maybe 15min walk from Princes Street. There are lots of pubs and restaurants nearby. Even midweek there is plenty of live music on offer a short stagger from the Hotel. The cooked breakfast was served to the table, no buffet dried up food here. Our table at the front window had a great view of the Castle. Unfortunately there are only two tables at the window but great if you can get one of them. Even so the Breakfast is better than others I have experienced in Edinburgh.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and found both your room and breakfast to a high standard. As you mention in your review we are very lucky to have some fantastic views from our bedrooms and restaurant. There is nothing nicer than eating breakfast while enjoying the magnificence of such a historic treasure as Edinburgh Castle.

I do appreciate your kind review and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My partner and I stayed here nights of 1st and 2nd Nov and had a wonderful stay. We booked it way in advance as I was having my graduation ceremony in the Castle on Saturday 2nd. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us. We had requested a quiet room and we weren't disappointed - it was on 4th floor near the end of a corridor (room 3146 I think..) and we overlooked what looked like a primary school building and a green bank. Perfect!! The room was big and spotlessly clean, bathroom had wonderful wet room style shower, separate from the bath, so no nasty shower curtain. We quickly got our clothes hung up and went out for a night on the town. My partner went to Uni here so new all the best pubs and bars, we even ended up talking to another couple that we spent the rest of the evening with. We ended up coming in much later than expected! Beds are divine - very comfortable and the bedding/pillows are just perfect, I have a lower back problem so I'm very sensitive to a rubbish bed. Our part of the hotel was indeed very quiet, even managing an afternoon nap, with clientele appearing to be more along the lines of smart couples going to events rather than loud hen/stag parties. Room temp is always a sore point for us as hotels are often overheated, however although the corridors are quite toasty our room was blissfully cool. We didn't have breakfast included as wanted to explore places nearby and be able to meet up with my parents, but we did get a £10 voucher to spend in the hotel. We didn't actually get chance to spend this though. Also loved the rubber duck you can take away with you, you're even encouraged to take them out and Tweet pictures of them. We got a 2nd one on our 2nd night. Very impressed and would stay again, as long as we could get a nice quiet 4th floor room again. I really hate people stomping above me, we get enough at that in our flat so it's so welcome to get away from it on a trip. Lovely stay overall.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor room that doesn't overlook castle if you want it to be quiet. We found the lif...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HannahVJones

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing such a detailed review following your recent stay at the Apex City hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and that 'Bobby', our little green duck, found a nice new home. It’s great you even managed to get him a friend as he can get lonely!

Next time you make a reservation please make a point of telling us the room number you prefer and we will do our best to ensure your are allocated the same room or one close by. We always like it when guests state a preference as it help us to ensure they enjoy their stay.

Thank you again and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Reasonably priced hotel, which came with the added bonus of a £10 voucher to spend within the hotel! Location was perfect and the rooms were clean and well equipped. Only downside was the noise (outside the hotel) in the early hours of the morning and the inability to adjust the air con.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris_Columbis

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you found the opportunity to use your £10.00 food and beverage voucher. It is just our way of saying "thank you" for booking your stay with us directly through our website.

Next time you stay please let us know when you make your booking that you would prefer a quiet room to the rear of the building rather than a street facing room. Our rooms at the back of the building may not enjoy the view of the Castle but are extremely quiet. We will of course then do our best to accommodate your request.

I appreciate your review and hope you will book to stay with us again soon.