“Good, with a few caveats” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #38 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Good, with a few caveats”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at a busy time in December, Christmas markets and tourist season in full swing.

Being on the third floor meant we had very few problems with noise, and had three nights of peaceful sleep. If you need WiFi, it works perfectly and is free, something which many hotels should learn from. The room was modern with a comfy double bed, a nice walk-in shower, huge TV (which we didn't use but it's there), and a cosy seating area.

The location is very close to all of the attractions, with the castle a few minutes' walk away and the shopping area / market a little past that. The service and staff were excellent.

If you're interested in the pool / gym, it's a short walk along the road to the sister International hotel. Not a massive inconvenience - but worth noting.

We were there Friday-Monday, three nights, but on both Friday and Saturday nights, there were private Christmas parties going on in the bar/restaurant. They moved the "restaurant" and "bar" up to a conference room on floor one but there's no atmosphere because it's a conference room! As such, our "free" £10 voucher to spend within the hotel went unused. Not much point if you're going to have to use it to sit in a glorified boardroom - especially when the sound of the party one floor below is so loud that it leaves you feeling like a spare part at someone else's party, which, in many ways, is exactly what it was. I felt sorry for the reception staff, standing behind the counter for six hours with loud music blaring barely feet away from them.

Happy Christmas, Apex staff. Here are some earplugs.

The parties continued until one in the morning, meaning that if you were staying on floor one, you'd have been sorely out of luck if you were looking to get to sleep anytime before then. It's also a bit of a turn-off to return to the hotel late at night to find drunken smokers congregating on the front steps, cackling as they try to stay out of the drizzle. You don't really expect to have to make your way through that to get back inside.

It's all a bit ill-thought out but, no doubt, the hotel makes lots of money from hiring the facilities and letting rooms to party guests. What it doesn't do is make OTHER guests aware that this is occurring. We booked with an email address, so why not email to say there's a private party going on and there will be inconvenience?

Aside from that, the hotel is decent. I'd return - but not in party season.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I am glad you liked your room and found my staff to be friendly.

I was, however, sorry to read that you did not like the alternative restaurant that we arranged during your stay. We had ensured that the full menu was still available, but can understand that you felt the room lacked the ambience of our regular restaurant. I can assure you that we do not host functions with music very often, and I am pleased that you have commented that you have not been put off staying with us again.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

we had a voucher for the Auga restaurant and we where not expecting too much but we were pleasantly surprised the food and the service are both excellent and portion size good the detail that went into the presentation and delivery of the food was exceptional we will defiantly return

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent meal in Agua. I will make a point of passing your praise to My Head Chef.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I do hope you will come and dine with us again soon .

Kind Regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

My partner and myself stayed here for a couple of nights in November 2013. The service was great from all staff, friendly helpful and considerate. The room was clean, not too hot or cold, spacious and well equipped. Location is fab, right on Grassmarket and convenient to everything touristy. Great view of Edinburgh Castle from our room.

Only negative was that we did not have a double bed but large twins together to form super king size but this was very comfy with plump pillows and extra duvets provided if needed.

Room Tip: We were in the middle of the hotel and were not disturbed by traffic or pedestrians but we did stay...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay with us. It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay and found your room comfortable. Next time you stay with us please remember to let us know when you make your booking if you would like a room in a similar section of the hotel - we will then do our best to allocate an appropriate room.

Thank you again for your review.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great location for exploring edinburgh.
I checked in and got a £10 voucher for the bar which was good. The room was lovely, really nice shower, free wi-fi.
Only let down was the cost of breakfast, but 1 minute walk left out of the hotel was a lovely cafe.
I've booked again for January. Great location for bars and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed using the £10.00 food and beverage voucher we gave you for booking directly with the hotel - Christmas is always a great time to enjoy a cocktail or two in our bar.

I was pleased to read that you will be returning again in January. If you would like the same room, or have a preference of location, please let reception know in advance, or drop me an e-mail (lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk) and we will do our best to look after you.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back in January.

Chertsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed here for a good place for viewing Edinburgh. Our room was spacious and beautifully appointed. Really comfy bed! Delicious breakfast. Small car park so plan carefully. To be recommended. It only takes about 10mins to walk to the castle and there are lots of bars and restaurants close by. The Grassmarket is a very attractive area. We ate in Leith which was only 10 mins by taxi.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. The Grassmarket is indeed looking nice at the moment, particularly at night with all the illuminated trees and the backdrop of the Castle. We are really lucky to have such a great location and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope you will return soon.

Galway, Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

VG hotel in a great spot. View of castle. Lots of pubs, shops, cafes nearby. VG brekkie, including veggie option. Staff are lovely. We got a quiet room at back. Our room was not ready on arrival, gave us a comp drink. Took ages for room, then gave us VIP voucher, 25% off. All staff were v kind to our 4 yr old

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel following your recent stay with us. It was good to read that you enjoyed your visit, my staff looked after you well and you liked your breakfast

I'm sorry you had to wait for your room to become available but hope you enjoyed the complimentary drink and found the time to use the 25% discount voucher we gave you as way of an apology?

I appreciate your review and hope you will stay with us again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Apex City is a great hotel to stay for a weekend in Edinburgh. Especially the location is perfect! Right on the Grassmarket, in the middle of the Old Town. Everything is on walking distance. It takes about 2 minutes to climb to Castle Hill and about 10 minutes to walk to Princes St. - the main shopping district of Edinburgh.

The check in was very fast and efficient. Karolina was lovely and pointed out some highlights in the city we should visit. I emailed a couple of days before to request a room with castle view. Upon arrival the actually allocated this room to is, which was amazing. Not many hotels I've stayed listen to guest request. When checking out, Angie was very friendly and helpful by ordering us a cab. She seemed genuinely interested in how we experienced our stay, which is a very rare thing!

I've stayed in several Apex hotels, but unfortunately, the restaurant wasn't very good this time... As we checked in early in the morning, we wanted to have some breakfast. However, we were refused by one of the waiters as we didn't have a room allocated yet. "We don't do walk-ins today." A bit rude if you are staying in the hotel and just had a long journey. During our stay, we ordered room service for breakfast twice. The room service was delivered by the same waiter that refused us the day before. Again, he wasn't friendly at all. Not rude, just no smile, no chat. He just popped the tray on the bed and walked out. Both times, our order wasn't correctly delivered. I asked for croissants and lemon in my tea, but got danish pastries and a cup without lemon. The second day my friend ordered pancakes with blueberries, but got them without.

The room, however, was lovely. Very spacious and comfortable with a big wardrobe, complimentary water, a king-size bed (European size, so not that king-size unfortunately) and a perfect bathroom with seperated bath tub and walk-in shower. However, the maintenance on the bathroom floor should be improved. Another tiny disadvantage is that we received only 1 bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel, although we booked a room for 2. Plus, we didn't have any body lotion, which is mostly a standard thing provided by luxury hotels.

All with all, Apex City is an absolutely great hotel to stay in. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Edinburgh!

Room Tip: I always appreciate a good view when staying in a hotel. About a week before my arrival I emailed th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am pleased you would "definitely recommend us to anyone visiting Edinburgh”. I am, however, concerned about your comment regarding the waiter that served you breakfast. Normally we pride ourselves for the positive comments we receive regarding friendliness and helpfulness and, while Karolina and Angie appear to have been good ambassadors, I am very keen to identify the waiter that let us down. With this in mind I would very much appreciate it if you could advise me which room you stayed in so I can establish who delivered your room service. I can then arrange for further customer care training to be carried out. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk and I very much look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.