“Location is A+ ”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is it's location, with amazing views of the castle and it's proximity to the Royal mile, I'd stay here on every visit to Edinburgh.

It's situated on the grass market, which has some great pubs and restaurants also, so you don't have to venture too far if you don't want to. Personally I love the atmosphere in the pubs close by.

To start with our experience of the hotel and service, it was really great, we flew into Edinburgh really early and arrived at the hotel by 8am to drop our bags off. Turned out our room was ready so we were able to check in at that time. That in itself was a bonus.

We then went up to our room which for a twin room wasn't much more than a double. The only thing making it a twin was the fact it had two separate duvets, not much space between the beds.

In the floor beside the window was a ladies earring, which wasn't exactly a stud that could easily have been missed, this was a long feather earring so should've been spotted when the room was being cleaned. In a reverse turn of events, I actually misplaced my own earring that weekend in the room, this was more discreet, so no doubt the next guests may have found mine.

We were in a room right next to the lift, but I have to say that we heard very little noise. The wifi is a great feature too, as having an International phone number, I don't like to come back to a hefty bill for data use, so I only used data in a wifi area.

There was one evening whilst getting ready we decided to order room service and some wine but when I dialled 0 for it, I held for approx 1min and no one answered, which I didn't really like. It did however result in us getting a move on and eating out.

The bar in the hotel is lovely, and the residents bar stayed open quite late. It may depend on the number of customers there.

On checkout, it was a painless experience, no queues, and they held our bags while we went for breakfast and spent our last few hours in Edinburgh.

Overall experience was very positive, little issues such as the earring and not answering for room service, I'm sure aren't a regular occurrence. The beds being too close could do with improvement. All in all I'd stay again and again.

Thank you.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay at the hotel. I was sorry to read that you lost an earring and if you would like to contact me with your details I will check the lost property log and, if we have found it, I will post it back to you. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

With regard to your phone call not being answered I am very sorry for any inconvenience this caused. We recently changed our switchboard and have occasionally experienced problems whereby calls were not ringing at the front desk, even though the caller could hear a ringing tone. Our supplier has since rectified this and all the phones should now be working correctly.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, found our location convenient and that you would be happy to "stay again and again". Your review is very much appreciated and I hope I can welcome you back in the near future.

Lindsay Sturrock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,826)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

This was a jaunt for four friends meeting up for a weekend. Despite our rather early arrival the reception team did their utmost to ensure we had access to at least one of our rooms so we could freshen up before trooping off to see the sights - and this was a foretaste of the excellent service provided by this hotel. The rooms were lovely, the location is superb and the staff are the stars. We got an excellent deal through the hotel website which was further enhanced by a £10 voucher for each room. Absolutely marvellous! (Oh, and the chips are good too)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your 5-star rating of the hotel. I am very pleased that the four of you enjoyed your stay and found my staff to be friendly and helpful. I was also pleased to read that you managed to take advantage of your £10.00 food and beverage voucher for booking directly on our website. It is a shame some guests are missing out as we guarantee to offer the best available rate and the voucher can be used against both food and drink within the hotel without a minimum spend.

I do appreciate your feedback and hope you will all come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Excellent service from when booking first made online from Australia several months prior to my visit. My room was lovely and spacious, clean and well appointed. Used the Room Service facility for dinner and service was quick and the food excellent, as was the buffet Scottish breakfast the next morning. Wonderful location if you are wanting to get to know Edinburgh. Really impressed with the staff, very friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough to assist me. Will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Gail

Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit. I am so glad that you had a good stay with us after travelling all the way from Australia - I bet you found the weather a little bit cooler!

Your kind feedback is very much appreciated and I do hope you will find the time in the future to visit again.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Reasonably priced hotel in great location. We heard no noise despite stopping on Friday and Saturday night. Staff very helpful and friendly. We couldn't get our TV to work on the first night - this was sorted out straight away with no fuss. Bed very comfortable. Good shower although bath was clearly only designed for shorter people! Would recommend booking direct so that you get a £10 voucher to spend on food or drink in hotel. Only complaint are that the pillows are too soft.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked your room. If you plan to stay again please let us know that you prefer a firmer pillow and we will make sure they are in your room ready for your arrival.

Your review is greatly appreciated and I hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

7 of us stayed in this hotel just after the new year for a 50th birthday and it was great! The staff were very helpful and friendly, the hotel was clean and comfortable and it has a great location! Couldn't fault it! :) we didn't use the leisure facilities (located at apex international) but I'm sure they were great too!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for scoring us so highly and awarding us 5-stars in all areas. Your very kind review is very much appreciated and I am really pleased you had such an enjoyable visit.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to stay with us again soon and my very best wishes for your birthday.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed at the Apex City Hotel in Edinburgh on the 14th to 16th January 2014 while on a short city break. First impressions were great, with very friendly check-in staff who allowed us to check-in early. Our room was clean, spacious and warm, with ample storage. The bathroom was well equipped, and had a bath and separate shower. We did not have any meals at the hotel, and so can't comment on the food, but we did use the bar on a couple of occasions, and found the bar staff friendly and helpful. The hotel is in an excellent location for sightseeing, with a superb view of Edinburgh Castle from the front of the hotel, and it is only about 10 minutes walk to both the castle and the main shopping area. There are several restaurants and bars opposite the hotel if you want to vary your eating and socializing. Would definitely use this hotel again. .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for scoring us 5***** for all areas. I really appreciate this great score and am so pleased you had an enjoyable visit. Even better is the fact that you said you will “definitely use the hotel again” - this is the best type of praise and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Hotel in front of the Castle, in the center of the city, along the royal mile. Breakfast improvable but the hotel is clean and organized. Not bad, for the best you have to choose the Apex near. My room had both shower and tub (separated), some other only the shower.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with shower and tub.