“Nice hotel in the center”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Moscow, Russia
“Nice hotel in the center”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed in the this hotel for 3 nights during my business trip in march. he location is very good for sightseeing and going out for dinner.
The rooms are tiny, but cosy and equipped with all necessary things you may need when you travel for business. I had a nice view on the castle from my window.
The breakfast was really good, lots of choice.
The reception was very good and helpful with any request I had (advice on shops or restaurants, etc).
If I travel again to Edinburgh I will stay at the same place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review - it's a pity your business trip was not a little later in the month giving you the opportunity to see Scotland beat France at the rugby (you can tell I have written this before the start of the match as I have no doubt who will probably win!!).

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and would stay again. Next time, if you prefer, we can arrange for a larger room to the rear of the hotel. These rooms are bigger and very quiet but unfortunately do not offer a view of the Castle. Please just let us know your preference.

My thanks again for your review.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
LIVERPOOL
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was the first time I had been to the city and I was looking forward to my trip. I had read the reviews of the hotel prior to travel and I was looking forward to my one night stay. Upon arrival I have to say I was a little disappointed with the hotels exterior. The hotel reception also looked like it was in need of a bit of tlc, however the male receptionist was very friendly and helpful. unfortunately for me I drew the short straw and had to make do with a room on the first floor, looking out at a car park and the bins, my hopes of having one of the lovely rooms with the nice view of the castle gone, however I was there for the night so this was not a major problem. My room was nice, beds lovely and spotless. The bathroom was very nice apart from a little tiny bit of mould in shower, but on the whole lovely. There was plenty of tea and coffee and even hot chocolate on offer. The only thing I would grumble about was the wood in rooms probably need a bit of a good clean. The city itself is very lively and I would definitely go back for a longer period, and obviously for leisure. I would also recommend this hotel, apart from a few small things I would stay again. There a quite a few bars, ,pubs, and cafes very close. . I nearly forgot the breakfast the next day was really lovely, and the staff were very very courteous and friendly, lovely.

Room Tip: go for a room overlooking castle, think they are on the upper floors
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your “first visit to Edinburgh”. You should definitely consider returning during the festival in August or over New Year when the City is at its most lively. If you do return please let us know in advance that you would prefer a Castle view room and we will do our best to accommodate your request. Also, if you have a spare moment, please drop me an e-mail advising me which room you stayed in so I can remedy the small faults you identified in your valuable feedback. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

I do appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have to say that we really enjoyed our stay at the Apex City, when we stay for 3 nights in February, despite the following few moans about the standard of the room. On the downside, although we could see the castle from our bedroom window strangely it was jammed tight against the wall and behind the desk so you couldn't easily look out of it. The money had clearly been spent on a huge tv but the wood veneer on the furniture had chipped and was showing signs of age, tiles were loose in the bathroom floor and most annoyingly there wasn't a shower cap. The flip side of its great location on the Grassmarket meant that we had to listen to late-night revellers making their way home at 2am. Our rooms weren't ready when we arrived for check in at 2pm but we were given a free cup of tea and cake while we waited. The next day we had to vacate our room for it to be cleaned at 3.30pm - I would definitely say they were short
staffed. But the breakfast was excellent (£20 extra for 2 people) and the bar staff very friendly. We had a drink at the much more lively Apex International 3 doors down but didn't use their leisure facilities as having to go outside for even such a short distance was a disincentive. The lobby area by the lifts on our floor Level 3, had sofas and we did spend some time sitting looking out of the floor to ceiling windows at the castle and the world going by. All in all I would recommend a stay

Room Tip: Level 3 had good view over the Grassmarket
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah M
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Sarah

Firstly; thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay - I am glad you enjoyed your visit and would recommend us.

With regard to your room, I am so sorry there were tiles loose in the bathroom. This is unacceptable and I am surprised that my maintenance team did not pick this up. If you could possibly drop me an e-mail with a note of the room number you stayed in I will ensure that the tiles are immediately repaired. I will also arrange for the French polisher to repair the wooden furniture. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

I am also sorry you were not made aware that we have a selection of additional bathroom items such as shower caps, toothpaste and shaving kits available at reception. These are all free for our guests and we are always happy to have them delivered to a guest’s room when requested.

Should you decide to return to the hotel again in the future please let us know if you would prefer a quiet room rather than one with a Castle view. The rear facing rooms in the hotel are particularly quiet and we always do our best to accommodate requests.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I do hope you will stay again soon.

Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at the Apex City Hotel for two nights, the room was excellent and spotless there was nothing too much trouble for the staff. The hotel is only a short walk from all the main attractions of Edinburgh, and being located in the Grassmarket there are lots of pubs and restaurants around.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side have a great view of the castle
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel and marking us as 'superb'. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found the Grassmarket a good location for you visit.

Please don't leave it too long before you come and stay with us again.

kind regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My partner and i originally booked for for 3 nights, but we booked an extra night as we were enjoying Edinburgh so much, and the main reason for this was the hotel. It was spotless, room was perfect, i had e-mailed a few days before asking if there was any chance of a room facing the castle, and sure enough we got what was probably the best room for a great view. All the staff were very friendly and nothing was a problem to them. I can't wait to return to this brilliant hotel.

Room Tip: rooms are spotless but a front facing room has the view of the castle which is extra special.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lesley

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Apex City hotel so much you extended your stay; that really is the sign of a satisfied guest.

I would also like to thank you for leaving such a nice review, and do hope you will get the chance to pop back through from Glasgow sometime in the very near future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Apex city hotel located at the grass market in Edinburgh for two nights in February. The location is perfect. The hotel is opposite lots of pubs, boutique shops and of course the picturesque castle! You can walk to the main attractions/shops easily from here.

The hotel has a very small car park that is £10 per night-extra spaces available at the sister hotel a few doors down! The rooms were small but offered everything you would expect/need for a short stay. The bathroom had both a shower and bath - the shower could be replaced to be more of a modern power shower type with some new tiles and this would make the room complete.

Breakfast was great - a large selection of breads, cereals, meats, cheese, condiments and juices etc as well as a wide menu of hot food to order which is much better than a buffet. Toast and hot drinks also provided for the table.

Look around for offers as the price offered at the hotel on the day of booking was £150 per night and £13.50 for breakfast which is more than double what we paid for 2 nights with breakfast.

I would defiantly stay at this apex and other apex hotels again in the future-they never disappoint!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank 1AnnaSam4
Dear Guest

It was great to read that you are a fan of Apex hotels and enjoy staying in an Apex hotel on a regular basis - I do hope you will come and stay with us at the City again soon.

I am glad you managed to secure a good rate for your room. Like airlines our price tends to increase as availability decreases and it definitely pays to book early. Please remember that whenever you do book to check our website as we offer a best available rate guarantee.

Thank you again for your very nice review.

Thirsk
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in very nice suite overlooking castle. Room very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Great nights sleep , though I was surprised the pillows didn't have protectors on them, which in think should be standard and nets at window were gathering dust at the top, but that was the only tiny gripe. Otherwise the bedroom,bathroom and lounge were immaculate. Apart from that little niggle, hotel very good, and breakfast was excellent too. We would certainly stay there again as location is great.

Stayed February 2014
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Sheila

Thank you for review of the hotel following your recent stay with us. I am glad you liked the suite and enjoyed your stay. I have also noted your constructive feedback and will make sure my Head Housekeeper personally checks all three suites to ensure the net curtains are spotless, and establish why the room attendant did not fit a pillow protector. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Your review is very much appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.