“Perfect location”

Ranked #43 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect location”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel in a perfect location. Less than 10 minutes from The Royal Mile, within walking distance from Princes Street and surrounded by bars and good restaurants. This does mean it can get a bit noisy at night but as long as you realise that when you book then you accept that. The view of the castle is fabulous if you're lucky enough to get a room at the front which we had.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Anne

Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked your room and enjoyed the view of the Castle. Next time you stay with us please let us know if you would prefer a room to the rear of the hotel. These rooms are particularly quiet, but do not, unfortunately, enjoy the same splendid castle view.

I do appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback and hope you will return again soon.

kind regards

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

a great location right in the centre of the grassmarket, ideal for anyone visiting the city. clean spacious rooms good beds and a superb breakfast. we stayed here early march 2014. would stay here again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank darrensafc
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review following your recent stay with us. I am glad you liked your room and found the hotel to be in a perfect location for exploring Edinburgh.

I do hope that you will return again soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is a hotel that I have used several times and that, in itself, says a lot about this Apex hotel. I find the hotel comfortable with top quality beds and bedding. I asked for my room to be serviced at a specific time and this was done at the correct time by staff who were happy to help. You can sit in the bar/lounge and enjoy just coffee with no pressure to have a drink. We found their bar prices affordable and staff were happy to talk but also happy for you to just work in the comfortable bar surroundings. Wi-fi was easily accessed throughout the hotel and reliable to use. I feel they offer good value prices for Edinburgh where prices tend to be expensive. I look forward to my next stay in the Apex City.

Room Tip: Just ask for their best rate. The staff will help.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Peter

It is always great to receive positive Tripadvisor reviews from regular guests as it means we are getting it right. I am particularly pleased that you always find my staff friendly and certainly hope you will continue to stay with us when you visit Edinburgh.

Thank you for your review and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

A well presented hotel with excellent facilities in a great location. The hotel is situated in the Grassmarket (plenty of pubs) and is only 10 minutes walk from most major attractions.
I would highly recommend this hotel and if returning to Edinburgh, I would definitely stay at the Apex again.
P.S. If you book direct you get a free £10 gift voucher to use at the hotel, the cocktails tasted even sweeter for free.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and managed to take advantage of the £10.00 voucher we gave you for booking directly through our website. It is well worth it as we offer a price match guarantee and the voucher can be used against drinks or food in our restaurant or bar.

Thank you for your kind feedback and I do hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Apex hotel this weekend. The staff were all extremely friendly and pleasant. The rooms were comfortable and the hotel was located well a few minutes walk from the Royal Mile.

We had a castle view room which had an amazing view of the castle. The only downside to this was that it was also facing the main street which meant being woken a few times in the night by loud, drunken rugby fans outside (we picked the busiest weekend in Edinburgh with France playing Scotland in the 6 nations). They also decided to do a test fire alarm at 11pm last night in the hotel which didn't particularly bother us but could imagine it being a frustration for families with young children and those on business.

The breakfast was average. Yesterday morning the croissants were delicious and freshly baked but this morning tasted rather stale and frankly unedible.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lauren

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and liked your room. My apologies that you were disturbed during the night by the noise from the Grassmarket. Unfortunately the rooms at the front of the hotel can be a little noisy at the weekend as the Grassmarket is such a busy area. They do however offer superb views of the Castle and I do hope this made up for it a little.

With regard to the fire evacuation test on the Sunday night; I am sorry if this inconvenienced you in any way. As part of our commitment to guest health and safety we legally have to test our night staff to ensure they can evacuate the building in the case of a real fire. We selected the Sunday you stayed as it was a quiet night and we had less guests to disturb. I do hope you understand.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope you will stay with us again soon.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We booked this hotel direct from their hotel website and we are glad we did.Its situated in the historic Grass market and we had a supurb view of the castle from our room.The room its self was very clean,warm and the bathroom had a quality bath and shower.We had a breakfast everyday with plenty of choice.All staff were polite and helpful.I would recomend anyone staying here.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a free £10 voucher when you book in as this can be used in the bar or restaurant d...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert F
Dear Philippe

Thank you for leaving a review following your stay with us during the 6-nations rugby. I am sorry I am unable to respond in French.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your breakfast and will certainly let my Head Chef know your comments regarding the omelette.

Whippany, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in a standard King room in February. View of the Castle. Location was prefect – in the middle of the Edinburgh with easy walking access to pubs and the Castle (and shopping areas). Modern décor. Spacious bathroom and shower. Bed adequate.

Breakfast included in rate with a choice of continental options and made to order warm selections from the menu. Highly enjoyable and proper. Did not visit the restaurant on site.

Reasonable fare of £20 from the airport. Close to Waverly train station but best to take a cab for £5 due to hills and cobblestone streets along the way.

Great service from all staff.

Would recommend to anyone due to location and lovely, attentive staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for recommending the hotel in your recent review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found my staff to be helpful and attentive.

I do appreciate you taking the time to post a review and hope you will get the chance to return to Edinburgh again in the near future.