“Great location”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Location is ideal for the first time visitors to Edinburgh. Right next to the old town, close walking distance to Royal Mile, stones throw away from the Edinburgh castle. Also, great pubs (wide selection of whisky and great food) right across the street. Our room was clean and fairly well kept and staff were helpful and courteous.

One major complaint I had was the fact that there was no way to circulate air in the room. First night we were there, it was fairly warm and even with the windows open it was hard to fall asleep (and stay asleep!). The bathroom also didn't feel like it had a fan, so after each shower the room would heat up with damp air, which was not very pleasant.

I don't think I would stay here for a summer visit given how easily the room heats up, but for a first time visit in Edinburgh in the spring it was pleasant enough.

One thing that was a bit confusing was, grabbing breakfast at the hotel on our last day. If you're planning on having breakfast, it's supposedly cheaper to pay ahead than at the restaurant. However, when we ate at the restaurant and settled our bill we were charged the lower price that the front desk had told us. When we asked about it, the restaurant staff told us it was flat price. I'm not sure who was wrong on this, but you might want to double check the price of your breakfast if grabbing at the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the street would be quieter (crowd leaving the pubs can be a bit loud at nigh...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry you found your room a little warm, but I am glad you enjoyed our very central location. Unfortunately our rooms don't offer air conditioning and can sometimes get a little hot on a humid day. The bathrooms however do have extractor fans so I am unsure why you bathroom took a while to clear. If you have a moment please let me know your room number and I will have the fan checked by my Maintenance Manager. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

With regard to breakfast I am sorry about the confusion over price. What you were told by reception is actually correct and breakfast costs only £10.00 per person when booked in advance. I have now identified the member of staff that has been giving out the mixed message and have had them retrained. Thank you for pointing this out.

Thank you again for your review.

Lindsay Sturrock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,758)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

lovely staff from check in to bar staff to room keeping to breakfast,fantastic room although we looked onto an office but you are smack in the centre of Edinburgh you shouldn't expect any sea view...
we had a meal deal which involved an evening meal,the meal was fantastic as was the breakfast

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

I was really pleased to read that you liked all aspects of your stay with us and appear to have enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh. Should you return again in the future please let us know when you make your booking if you would prefer a front facing room with a view of the Castle and we will do our best to accommodate. It is always good to hear guests preference as it helps us to ensure they enjoy their stay.

Thank you for your review and I hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The room itself felt very run down, old and needed some updating. The rooms do not feel like they are a part of a 4* hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with your room. I am personally unaware of any particular room that is in need of refurbishment and would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to drop me an e-mail with a note of the room you stayed in. Once I have this information I will inspect the room and ensure any remedial work is immediately carried out. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

On a recent choir tour we stayed 4 nights at this very centrally-located hotel (great view of the castle). The rooms were comfortable, clean & quiet. We elected B&B option and the variety and quality were excellent. The evening meals were first class and delicious. The staff were very helpful and friendly, going out of their way to accommodate some special requests. No complaints whatsoever with this great hotel.

Room Tip: As in any large city, especially on weekends there will always be street noise. If this is an issue...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Sandra

Thank you for your very kind feedback. I hope your choir tour was a great success and it is good to hear you 'singing the praises' of the Apex City hotel! I have also noted your positive feedback regarding your meals in our restaurant and will make a point of showing a copy of your review to my kitchen and restaurant teams.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

stayed at the Apex City while spending 3 nites in Edinburgh last Oct and couldn't have been more pleased. The location is fantastic-view of the castle from your window, right in the middle of shops and restaurants, and bus stop at the front door. The staff was extremely helpful, courteous and efficient. We had a double room and it was large, well decorated and the bathroom was luxurious. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and the food was excellent. The waiter and barman were very knowledgable and helpful re: the famous single malts and we enjoyed a wonderful sampler of the best scotches.
I love Edinburgh and wouldn't stay anywhere else on my next trip back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind review of the Apex City hotel. I am really pleased that you marked us so highly and that you will definitely stay with us again should you return to Edinburgh. Positive reviews are a great advert for the hotel and I very much appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Overall the stay was really nice. Excellent breakfast and service from staff. The room was great, the only thing that let it down was a bit of a whiff from the shower drain of an evening, but in fairness we didn't mention this until we were leaving the hotel as our days were packed full with activities and we only used room to sleep in, so we thought it was too late to make a complaint by time we got back to room each night. By the morning each day the smell was gone. When we mentioned it on leaving we got the impression that they took complaint seriously and would be looking into it, so again couldn't fault the hotel in its excellent service.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review. I am glad you had a good weekend with us and spent lots of time enjoying Edinburgh. My apologies that there was a smell from your shower drain; I am just sorry we did not know about it until your departure as we would have happily rectified it during your stay without the need for you to move rooms. I do hope this did not inconvenience you too much and you will still consider staying with us again should you return to Edinburgh?

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Location is ideal for Edinburgh, easy access to castle and Royal Mile, with lots going on in the Grassmarket. We arrived early in the morning and the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The room and breakfast was excellent

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Igor

Thank you for your positive review of the hotel following your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and found my staff to be friendly and helpful.

I appreciate that it is a long way to travel from Donetsk to Edinburgh but hope you will have the chance to stay with us again in the future.