“Air Conditioning needed”

Ranked #38 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Haywards Heath
“Air Conditioning needed”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, and in most respects were pleased with what it had to offer. Breakfast was good, and dinner was very good value although the dining room does rather lack character. The staff were friendly and helpful.
However, the rooms were very uncomfortably warm, there is no air conditioning, and the windows only open slightly - and with them open it was very noisy throughout the night. Whilst the weather was warmish, it was by no means hot, so this really is a problem area. Fans are provided in the rooms, but they are a poor substitute for air conditioning.
In summary, a nice hotel - in the winter.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Howard D
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Howard

I was sorry to read that you found your bedroom too hot during your stay with us. As you quite correctly mentioned air-conditioning would be very welcome during the summer and is certainly something we are considering installing in the future. I am glad however that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay with us and hope you will still return the next time you visit Edinburgh.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We chose the apex because it's "in the shadow of the castle" which it is, unfortunately our room did not have a view, except the car park.

However the location is great, you can walk up to the Royal Mile and the castle, we walked over 30km in the 3 days we stayed in Edinburgh!

The pricing is good and the staff are fantastic, very helpful and if you book tours through the hotel there are up to 20% discounts.

The only problems we thought the hotel had were that the rooms are very hot in the evening, there is a small fan in the room, but it's not very powerful. The water pressure in the shower is terrible and the pillows far too soft. The biggest issue for me is there is access to a pool and gym in their sister hotel 100m away, which is fine and access was very simple, the gym was just a let down. 2 treadmills, a rowing machine an elliptical, a bike and a really difficult to use weights machine without instructions, incredibly small space and no free weights, but that's just me, I'm sure it would be fine for others. You don't need cardio machines in Edinburgh with all the hills! I didn't try the pool.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eltel99
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad you found our location perfect for visiting all the great attractions Edinburgh has to offer. I am sorry you did not get a room with a view of the Castle. If you stay with us again in the future please let us know your preference and we will do our very best to accommodate. I have also noted your comments regarding the gym at our sister hotel and will make a point of passing your feedback to the General Manager so he can review their offering.

I do appreciate you taking the time to post a review and hope you will return in the future.

Colorado Springs
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We got our room but I immediately noticed a large hunk of hair wrapped up in the drain, Gross! In addition to the hair there was stain on the curtains and a hole in the carpet between the beds. We went to front desk to complain. The front desk decided to give us a new room but that room was still occupied. Needless to say I didn't enjoy walking in on someone and getting yelled at. We went back downstairs again (having to take the stairs because you could hardly fit two people in the elevators) and were assigned another room. We walking in and the bedding configuration was wrong. Fortunately we were going out and maid service was able to switch the bedding while we were out. Our last room was the nicest and looked as if it were one of the more recent renovated rooms. Curtains were still dirty but it was already sixth trip on the stairs and figured it was the best available.

When looking at the photos online, the actual rooms are more run down/tired looking. The photos also make the rooms look more spacious. If you stay spend the money to upgrade your room.

Breakfast service was okay. Not a large selection and a very narrow room. Narrow room means when it is busy you are constantly bumping into people.

The good things I can say is that there is a great view of Edinburgh Castle from the lobby areas. The location was perfect. Easy walking to the Royal Mile and beyond.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sarah

Thank you for leaving feedback following your stay with us in May. Your review is very concerning to me and I would like to establish which room you stayed in as I am unaware of a room with a hole in the carpet between the beds. I am also disappointed that you had other issues during your stay and would appreciate the opportunity to respond to these issues to your satisfaction. If you have a spare moment please drop me an e-mail advising which room you stayed in and I will get in touch.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We found our stay here comfortable although hot overnight with no air conditioning and very slim window opening. I felt the breakfast offer was basic & the scrambled eggs watery & not tasty.
The room was large & bathroom well designed with separate shower that we loved ( no soap holder though).
We would stay again but breakfast round the corner at Hula

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you found your room comfortable and “would stay here again". I have, however, noted your comment regarding breakfast and am sorry that you were a little disappointed with the quality of the scrambled eggs. From your review I am unsure if you let your waiter know as it is our policy to immediately arrange a replacement as we are always keen for guests to enjoy the food we serve. Hopefully if you stay with us again you will give breakfast in the hotel another try.

haywards heath
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Overall we considered this a good hotel and enjoyed our stay. All the staff were good and the location is perfect. The food at both breakfast and dinner was good, well served and value for money. The wifi was free and fast.
Rooms are a good size clean and well maintained.
The big drawback is that there is no air conditioning, and we spent two very hot restless nights as a result. The windows open only a very small amount.
In conclusion we highly recommend this hotel for a stay outside the summer months.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank david s
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear David

Thank you for posting a positive review of the hotel following your recent stay with us. I am glad you found our location, my staff and the food in our restaurant to be to a good standard. My apologies however that you found the room too hot. Unfortunately we do not have air-conditioning and this can, on particularly humid days, mean the rooms can get quite warm. Thankfully Edinburgh is not known for its great weather and the heat only becomes an issue on certain days during the year. I am sorry you were too hot on this occasion.

I do appreciate you leaving a review and hope you will return again soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My colleague and I stayed here for 6 nights during a business trip, having stayed here previously in 2007. I can highly recommend the hotel - plenty of places to eat close by, and close to Princes Street for shoppers.
Superior double room very clean and comfortable, although there is no air con (only heating) and the room was very warm (unexpectedly mild weather for Edinburgh in June).
Restaurant deals excellent value for money - two course evening meal from set menu £14.95.
Staff extremely helpful and courteous, especially Vinnie, Aaron and Karolina.
Will be back.....

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kathryn B
Dear Kathryn

It was very nice of you to leave such positive feedback following your recent stay, and to take the time to single out 3-members of my team that you felt offered particularly high levels of service. I will make a point of passing your praise on personally as I know they will all be pleased by your comments.

Thank you again for posting a review and I am glad that you "will be back".

Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here for all last week whilst on business in Edinburgh with a colleague arriving Sunday and checking out today.

This hotel is in a great location just below the castle in the Grass Market where there are many eating places, boutique shops, pubs and a bustling atmosphere especially when the sun shone and we were lucky as the weather was mainly fair throughout our stay.

The staff were extremely friendly, attentive and welcoming but not at all intrusive. Special mention here of the bar and restaurant staff who welcomed us back each early evening like family members! We were looked after very well. Special mention here of Vinny, behind the bar, who was exceptionally welcoming and looked after us superbly! Thanks Vinny!

One of the advantages of the hotel was the 25% discount for residents, offered off all drinks and meals taken in the restaurant and bar when eating there. This proved excellent value and the set two course menu at £14.95 was more than enough for us each evening, with a good selection of starters, main courses and desserts that were very tasty and well presented. There was also the choice of a three course menu and an a la carte menu too to which the discount also applied.

The breakfast each morning was also great value with a mixture of buffet and table service for the cooked menu all included in our room rate.

There was a great variety to choose from with fresh fruits, including, fresh fruit salad, fresh pink grapefruit, orange and melon, a choice of fruit juices, breakfast cereals and yoghurt, continental meats and cheeses and a variety of bread choices too. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the eggs Benedict, which got me off to a great start most mornings, I also enjoyed the smoked poached haddock with an egg one morning too along with toast and coffee.

The bedroom was adequate, with enough space to move around and a large flat screen TV on the wall but it did take a while to get used to the very delayed response to switching it on! If you pressed the controls repeatedly the TV went into 'lock down' and had to be retuned! This happened repeatedly to me until I got used to switching it on and then going off to do something else whilst it did what it had to do to switch itself on!!

The bathroom, which included a wet room type shower, was fine. My only criticism was that there were no shower cap provided in the bathroom along with the shower gels and shampoos. I did like the touch of the green plastic duck which I have brought home for the grandchildren! There were towelling face flannels provided which were replaced each day, along with clean towels and bath mat.

The room was well cleaned each day and coffee, tea, and water restocked.

My only criticism of the bedroom itself was the heat! The room was boiling hot and stuffy. Very uncomfortable at times. This was with the heating turned right off the whole time. The window only opened a small distance and therefore did not allow any fresh air to circulate into the room even when left open all night, which was necessary as the nights we stayed were mild and humid. There was no air conditioning and it made an undisturbed sleep nigh on impossible. I found an electric fan in the cupboard, so I assume this must be a frequent problem. I kept the fan on full blast whenever I was in the room and had it directed at the bed all night, even sleeping on top of the duvet but still woke many times because it was still far too hot and stuffy. Surely air conditioning is not too much to ask?

One evening on our way too and from our rooms a few times, there was also a much larger floor fan sat in the middle of the corridor to the rooms, presumably to also try and cool the corridors down, rather unsuccessfully I'm afraid and much like in the bedroom, it only served to stir the hot air around and did not make the place any cooler at all!

The bed, however, was very comfortable with feather pillows. There was a good and powerful hair dryer provided which was slightly annoying as I had specifically rung the hotel the day I flew up to Edinburgh to enquire if the hotel had an unfixed plug - in hair dryer and not one of those fixed ones that are often provided in hotels on which you have to keep your finger pressed down to operate it. Whoever I spoke to went off to find out and told me unfortunately the hairs dryers were of the fixed type and so I had packed my own in my already bursting suitcase! As it turned out unnecessarily as the hair dryer was not of the fixed type after all!

All this being said I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and in fact much preferred into the Apex International a few doors down the street where we had stayed for a week last years on similar business.

I will definitely return to stay here if I need to visit Edinburgh again, both for business or pleasure, especially if it is in the cooler seasons!!!

Room Tip: View of castle from rooms at the front of the hotel, but my room on the 4th floor was at the back wh...