“family reunion and wedding”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #37 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My now husband and I stayed here 16th till the 21st July, the room was lovely and spacious with a view of the grassmarket and the castle. The bathroom was roomy and cleaned to a high standard daily. Lovely huge comfy bed.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and couldn't be more accommodating to our needs.
We had a disastrous room service breakfast sent to us on our wedding morning and we had a no quibble refund and a complimentary bottle of preseco. They couldn't have apologized more.
We had breakfast in the hotel and although lovely , their sister hotel the Apex International, where other family were staying, had a more varied breakfast. Ours was quite limited unless you paid extra. However we were able to use all the facilities at their sister hotel.
We arranged for parking at £12 per day which was very reasonable as Edinburgh is notorious for parking difficulties.
We had some very unexpected warm weather and this was the only downside to the hotel. They had fans in the hotel corridors but nor in the rooms. Although again at their sister hotel they offered guests a fan for their room. The windows didn't open very much so the rooms did get quite warm.
Excellent location. Smack bang in the centre of the grassmarket and near to the mile and castle. Would 100% recommend and stay there again. Although their sister hotel offers the same price and seems to be be slightly more luxurious.

1  Thank AshleyWalls94
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest

Congratulations - I do hope married life is treating you both well? I am very pleased that you both liked your room and had an enjoyable stay with us. My apologies for the mix up with you breakfast but I am glad my staff rectified the situation and arranged a little treat for you as an apology.

Should you wish to return to celebrate your first anniversary together please contact me directly so that I can make the necessary arrangements to ensure your receive a complimentary upgrade with my wishes. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

Thank you for leaving feedback and I hope you will return again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked a room for two nights for my wife's birthday travelling by train from Liverpool we arrived at Preston only to be told the service was cancelled. No trains would be travelling North "anytime soon"
I contacted the hotel to cancel our reservation and explained the circumstances but was informed I would still be charged despite being physically unable to get there !!
We are on a limited timescale due to work and this was for a special occasion.
Not at all happy, having spent over £500 on a round trip from Liverpool to Preston !!
Very poor customer service, will never stay at one of these hotels if this is the type of service you receive.

3  Thank Alan U
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Alan

Whilst I sympathise for the position that the Train Company put you in by cancelling your train, I must point out that Apex was in no way to blame for you being unable to stay at the hotel. When you made your booking with us through your booking agent you selected our Advance Purchase rate. This offers a reduced rate on the condition that the booking is not cancelled, but changes can be made. This was made clear at the time you made your booking in our terms and conditions. I must also highlight that we did offer you the opportunity to transfer your booking to a different date rather than cancel the booking but you did not wish to do this. We would still like to leave this option open to you until the end of August should you wish to reconsider rebooking your stay, and of course we will do our best to accommodate you on your chosen dates.

I am sorry that you were unable to stay at the hotel but can assure you that our booking conditions are completely transparent and we always do our best to be flexible whenever we can.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had four nights booked and the room was okay, but not luxury by any standard, and it was extremely hot. We had to run a fan, but the window doesn't open more than 3 inches so we resorted to propping the door open with my shoe to get a draft through. We requested a room change to the back, over the courtyard, and in spite of losing the view of the Castle, we were much more comfortable, and it was quieter. The staff were excellent and helpful, but the hotel itself was very ordinary, not, in our opinion, 4 star. The location is excellent.

Room Tip: If the weather is hot, or it's a noisy festival time, rooms over the courtyard are cooler and qu...
1  Thank Pat H
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Pat

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I am pleased that you found my staff to be friendly and the hotel location to be very central for all the sights Edinburgh has to offer. I was also glad to read that you found the room at the rear of the hotel to be much cooler. If you stay with us again in the future please let us know which room you would prefer and we will do our best to accommodate your request.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed two nights over a weekend in June. The room was a good size on the first floor with a view of a quiet side road. It had good storage space and was nicely decorated. There was a bath (with rubber duck!) and a large separate shower. Elemis cosmetics were a nice added touch. The Wi-Fi worked well as did the television. The room had tea making facilities and a fan as there was no air-con.
The staff were friendly and helpful. They gave us directions, helped with the room temperature and provided complimentary room slippers when asked.
The restaurant has a decent menu. We had dinner there one night and the service was attentive without being intrusive. It was also reasonably priced. The breakfast buffet has a good range and the full Scottish breakfast was very tasty and a nice way to end our stay.
The hotel location is about a 10 minute walk from the train station. There are quite a few pubs and cafes nearby ad the castle can be seen as you step outside. There is a tour bus stop just opposite which is a useful way to get around over a 24 hour period.
All in all it was a really nice place to spend a weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

I very much appreciate you leaving such a kind and comprehensive review following your stay at the Apex City hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, found my staff to be friendly and liked your meals in the hotel restaurant.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope you will come and stay with us again in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We loved Edinburgh and we loved the Apex City Hotel. It's located right in the Grassmarket and the rooms and service were excellent. Basically, we were pleased with the amenities, the rooms and breakfast was great. More than anything, the staff was extra friendly and helpful. We'll go back.

Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving such a nice review on Tripadvisor - it was great to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us and plan to return again in the future. I do appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback and hope you do not leave it too long before you return.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed at The City hotel rather than the European as the latter was fully booked and was really rather impressed, the only downside being the lack of air conditioning which in fairness they had proactively tried to compensate for by placing fans around the corridors and in the rooms.

A bonus for me as I'd arrived quite late (10.45pm) was the fact that they were still serving the entire room service menu rather than a scaled down version - the European near enough only offers sandwiches at this time of day.

I had a really nice room, with walk in shower and separate bath, It was nicely furnished, clean and comfortable.

I'd certainly recommend this place and will return myself.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our room service menu convenient. Even more pleasing is that you are happy to recommend us and plan to stay with us again the next time your return to Edinburgh. If you would like the same room please just let us know when you make your reservation and we will do our best to accommodate.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just a 10 minute walk from the city centre, but in a quiet area this hotel is small and looks a little like a budget hotel when first entering, however the rooms were great, spotless, comfortable with good bed linen and comfy pillows and duvets. The staff is very friendly too. The restaurant was also very tasty and not expensive. All in all a great stay for a day or two in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Unfortunately I think you may have posted your review against the wrong hotel. From your feedback I would suggest that you stayed at our sister hotel, the 3*** Apex European hotel, which is not as centrally located as we are. I will however make a point of passing your comments to their General Manager for his information.