“Great customer service”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #39 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Stayed in this hotel when in Edinburgh for my partner's birthday weekend over halloween. Arrived early 8.30am and asked to leave our bags. Instead the receptionist said that as there were no rooms available of the type that we had booked therefore she would upgrade us to a more superior room.
Once we went upstairs to the room the cleaner was still in there so we had to wait for another room to be prepared, not really a problem. We waited in the lounge area and at least 3 staff came to see if we were ok and to apologise which we thought was extremeley nice. After 10 mins we were in our new room just after 9am (ish) droped the bags and were reafy to explore, even though check in wasn't until 2pm (?).
Over the course of the weekend we found the staff really friendly and helpful.
The hotel itself is extremeley well located and well presented.
Highly reccomended if anyone is thinking about going up to Edinburgh

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
zzxxyy, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2010

Dear Guest

I was very pleased to read that we were able to accommodate your early check in request and that you found my staff friendly and helpful. Although we advertise a check in time of 2.30pm we always do our best to accommodate early arrivals and I am glad we could assist on this occasion.

Thank you for your kind review.

There are newer reviews for Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Reviewed 1 November 2010

Stayed here with a large group on a weekend in the city and was extremely pleased with the hotel itself and the quality of the service. Would definitely recommend people to stay here for the fantastic location and friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. As always it is good to read that our guests have enjoyed their visit. I do hope that you have a chance to come back and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 26 October 2010

My partner and I stayed here for a 3 day city trip. We had booked it through lastminute.com and got a great deal which we were very happy about. Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks was that the flight arrived in Edinburgh very early in the morning. So I emailed the hotel a few weeks in advance and asked if it was possible to check-in early. When I heard nothing back, I called them and was advised that although they could not guarantee it, they would do everything possible to get us an early check in. Now, I work in the industry, I know the pitfalls of making guarantees to customers so I could understand their reluctance but I didn't think it would be a problem seeing as we were arriving off-season and mid-week.

So we arrive up to the hotel at 9am, completely knackered and straight off are told that the room isn't ready yet but they will text us when it is... We were a bit disappointed to say the least but figured we'd go off for a walk, get some breakfast and surely it wouldn't be too long? By 11.30, we hadn't heard anything so thought maybe they'd taken the number down wrong and headed back to the hotel. Room still not ready. When asked if they had any idea when it would be, all we heard back was "we can't guarantee anything until 2.30pm" over and over again. Finally, at 1.30pm, at which point we were nearly seeing things with tiredness, my boyfriend spoke to another receptionist and was presented with the keys straight away! Not a great first impression I have to say!

Apart from the above, the hotel was fine. Tea & coffee making facilities, good shower (although the lack of a shower curtain was a bit strange - more of a wet room than a bathroom!) and a comfortable bed were all gratefully received. The lack of AC was a pain as the rooms did get very stuffy at night (even though it was 2 degrees outside!) and even though it was mid-week, there was a still quite a bit of noise outside so opening a window wasn't really an option. Yes, they did supply earplugs but not very good ones so they didn't block out any noise!

The best thing about this hotel is the location. Right in the heart of the old town, with fabulous views of the castle and lovely pubs and restaurants around, we found it hard to go anywhere else at night. Breakfast is extra in the hotel so we went out each morning and could always find somewhere within 5 mins. Although, don't bother asking reception for any recommendations or directions as you'll only be directed to the Internet upstairs with barely a glance up from the desk!

Dear Guest

I am sorry we were unable to meet your request for an early check in on this occasion. We always do our best to assist, however, when we are full the night before with lots of guests selecting not to leave until the official departure time of midday it becomes very hard to accommodate. I do hope you will understand and will still stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 24 October 2010

Stayed here with my husband to celebrate my birthday. We were lucky enough to be allcoated a corner room on the Grassmarket with views of Edinburgh Castle. I particularly enjoyed lying in the bath with a glass of wine after a hard days shopping wathching the sunset over the castle. Lovely touches such as Scottish toiletries and fluffy bathrobes - heaven!

Buffet breakfast was very satisfying with lots of options, my husband particularly enjoyed the Eggs Benedict.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City. I am glad you had a good stay with us and found my staff friendly and helpful. My apologies that you found your room a little warm. I will make sure that my maintenance department review the hotel heating temperature settings immediately.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

stayed here for a quick weekend away for a rugby match/site seeing. for £100, it was a steal! quick walk (and a nice workout!) up to the castle. very friendly staff who really seemed to go out of their way to make us comfortable.
only complaint was that the rooms were kept extremely hot and we had to make sure we kept the window open all day/night and the doors were thin so you could hear people very clearly making their way back from the pub at 3am. not the best hotel sleep ever but for the price, location and staff, a minor detail.
not a half bad hotel bar/breakfast either.

Reviewed 17 October 2010

Stayed here for our 1st wedding anniversary, room was clean and spacious. Bed huge! Food brilliant also drink reasonably priced for Edinburgh. Perfect location for Grassmarket and for the Royal Mile. Night shift staff most welcoming! Highly recommended and will definately stay here again!

Dear Guest

Thank you for selecting the Apex City for your special occasion. I am really pleased that you had a great time with us. Please don't forget us when it comes to celebrating a future wedding anniversary as I will always be pleased to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed at the hotel for a mixture of birthdays and a hen weekend, everything was fabulous from start to finish.

The rooms were beautiful (we had a suite which was one of the nicest I hacve stayed in), if not noisy on an evening, but hey you are in the Grassmarket, if you want peace and quiet, stay on the outskirts of the city.

From our arrival to our departure nothing was too much trouble. Staff were attentive, and all queries were dealt with swiftly. We ate in the hotel on both days we were there and the food was outstanding (we ate in one of Edinburghs top restaurants on the Saturday and I would say the Apex City hotel restaurant beat it hands down), even the breakfasts were fab with a wide menu of options for breakfast.

we used the spa in the next hotel (residents of both hotels could use the spa in the Apex International). It was fine for the time we were there, but there needs to be more seating as there were only two seats in the pool area and this wasnt enough for the party at the time. No complaints on the spa though, a lovely little touch for an hours escape from the hustle and bustle of Edinburgh.

All in all a very pleasant stay in one of the loveliest hotels in Edinburgh. I cannot reccomend the hotel enough. Would I return....in a heartbeat!

Dear Guest

I was really pleased to read your review and that you all had such a good time at your hen party weekend. The Grassmarket is certainly a great location with so many pubs, restaurants and clubs within walking distance. Your comments regarding our restaurant are very much appreciated and I was thrilled to read that we compared favourable against one of Edinburg's top restaurants.

Thanks again for your review.