“It was so cold I caught a chill”

Park View House Hotel
Ranked #358 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I seriously recommend that you DO NOT stay here.

On arrival we were shown to the 'room' in the basement, which was totally unsatisfactory. After struggling to get down the cluttered stairs complete with tripping hazards, we had literally made our way into the dingy basement of the building. This room felt very unsafe and not secure in the slightest. We discovered a 2nd door in the bathroom, which led out into the corridor and this was only just locked with a fragile bolt at the top of the door: anyone could make their way into this room with a little effort! Surely this room isn't meant for people to stay in? We soon made our opinions heard and got moved to a different room.

The other room wasn't a lot better. It was bigger...but the carpet was replaced with cheap laminate flooring which sloped (we put a pound coin on the floor and it rolled half way across the room). There were broken sash cord windows and furniture that had seen better days. The wardrobe was filthy and the toilet seat was insecure.

We didn't sleep well at all. We were woken in the middle of the night; firstly by the front door bell ringing and then by the hotel phone. The phone was ringing for at least 20 minutes at approx 2am. Why isn't that phone put through to the managers mobile or another line instead of them allowing it to ring at silly o'clock and thus waking up the guests?! Is there no duty manager to deal with late night incidents? What would happen if there's a real emergency? Hardly reassuring.

The breakfast was also very poor. Toast was white bread only, tea and coffee were in flasks, cereals were in tuppare boxes circa 1960's that hardly looked clean...it had all seen better days. Butter and jam was severly scrimped.

Oh and I haven't even mentioned the bar. When we arrived we noticed a sign outside advertising the hotel's bar and lounge area. I would review it but there's one small problem...it doesn't exist! When we asked at reception where the bar and lounge was the member of staff looked flumaxed - and yet there is a sign outside the hotel!

NOW FOR THE BIG ISSUE...the whole hotel is ridiculously COLD. The manager is notoriously tight and seems to be very reluctant to put the heating on. I honestly estimate the general temperature was below 5 degrees. Even the dining room was like an ice box. Just to hit home with how cold this place is, I caught a chill over night and spent the next morning shivering and throwing up. Really not a nice way to spent a night in Scotland.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dave B

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Had already booked when I read these reviews and was very anxious to what I might find on arrival, but luckily they proved to be ungrounded. We booked last minute and got a good cheap deal and the accomodation reflected that price. It is very basic, but it had a television and kettle, with the usual free tea, coffee etc. The ensuite was a basic shower room, again with some free goodies. It was spotlessly clean and we had fresh towels everyday.
The whole room was clean with none of the mustiness you sometimes get in old/cheap hotels.
The weather was appalling, very wet and cold and some people may have wanted some extra heating, but it was fine for me and I never used the extra blanket on the bed.
The only thing I would fault is the lack of bedside lighting, as I like to read in bed.
I found the staff very friendly and helpful. They allowed us to have take away in the room, and were happy to provide us with plates and cutlery.
The continental breakfast was basic but adequate and the croissants were served warm at 8o/c while toast was made fresh when you came in.
The Edinburgh buses are frequent and stop just outside. Leith is within walking distance, with some nice restaurants, a good shopping mall and Royal Yacht Britannia.
I would stay here again, if I got the same deal.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Abbey P
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I arrived as part of a touring group with a large 48 seater coach which we had been assured would fit in the car park. It did, but getting in and out of the narrow back alley leading to the car park tested the driver's skill to the core! The basement room I shared with three others was spacious with 1 double and 3 single beds, one pillow per person, no spares and no extra covers. There was only 1 tiny wardrobe, 1 chest of drawers, 1 chair and 3 bedside tables. There was a single overhead light and 2 bedside lights, one of which had no wall socket (a double socket 3 metres from the light was completely dead, leaving only 1 live double for the 4 of us). There was a connecting door to an adjoining room with no soundproofing.

The en-suite shower room was clean but unheated, and the bedroom heating was on a central timer which we couldn't alter; as it was May they were on summer settings, which is more than the weather was! During the morning 'rush hour' the hot water ran out quickly. There were 4 hand towels and complimentary toiletries but no bath towels and no shower mat, and there were tea and coffee making facilities so long as only two of you wanted a drink. The kettle worked; one of the other rooms wasn't so lucky, while another had tea and coffee but no kettle.

Breakfast was another disappointment - continental only, no cooked breakfast at all and a very limited choice though there seemed to be an endless supply of toast. There was limited table space, so as breakfast was only from 8 until 9am it was important to get there early. There wasn't much of a kitchen to be seen so they may simply be unable to provide any cooked food. Several of our group went to a sit-down cafe at the end of the road instead - it looked dingy and had very limited seating, but was a more satisfying eating experience.

There was no night porter and the front door was locked from about 9pm; there was a 'function room' but it wasn't open during our stay, so there was no choice but to go out and hope that you would be able to get back in - there was only one dual-purpose key per room and a £20 charge (the word 'deposit' wasn't mentioned) for a second - so anyone who fancied an early night had to wait until all four had had enough or get lucky with other keyholders showing up.

Disappointing but bearable as a cheap b'n'b, this was an experience I do NOT want to repeat.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AlBuck
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The man greeted us on arrival by the name Ross (which is my boyfriends name) and showed us to the room we per-booked. The next morning as we checked out the receptionist told us we were put in the wrong room and that they had taken an extra £10 from my card to make up the room charge difference because it was our fault for answering to the name Ross (which was the other peoples second name) and that I had to sign the transaction they already made without my permission (which is illegal)
I still don't have my money refunded!

It was also very cold, the blinds didn't shut right and you could hear the people in the room next door.

I strongly advise to go to another hotel!!!

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Beccamec
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We booked for 2 nights expecting to get a room like the ones they show online, but it’s nothing like online!

The plugs was hanging off the wall, very unsafe! The headboard was hanging off the bed and the kettle had a funny smell, Filthy and stained bedspreads.

It was a tiny Room that was not well lit (perhaps that was a blessing) the room had laminate flooring, old style sash windows and a very old style cast iron radiator, VERY COLD!!! When we arrived the radiator was on but the room was still sooooooo cold, we then went out for the evening and on our return the room was absolutely freezing!!! We spent a second night in the hotel to temperatures colder than the night before!!!

Total poor service, a horrible, smelly and depressing place………. I strongly recommend you avoid this hotel!!!

Room Tip: None! Do not stay here
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank DeanMansfieldLondon
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Worst Hotel I have ever stayed in!
My bed was next to the window, which was extremely cold, they had made attempt of blocking the draft but it was almost comical that the draft excluder didnt even touch the bottom of the window. It was as if the window was open 24/7, The heating did not work, the entire hotel was freezing.
There were used beer cans in the front lawn and plants the entire duration of our stay, including rolls of toilet roll all over the place.
The bed sheets were dirty and so was the duvet and they only supplied one pillow,
The hotel smelt throughout.
Plug sockets were half hanging off the wall and the bed head rests were so flimsy it was a joke.
Half used toilet rolls and grimey shower head.
Staff were, unique to say the least.
Value for money? I would not of stayed here if it was free.
I have stayed in many hotels but this one is by far the one I will remember for all the wrong reasons, I have stayed in army ablutions cleaner and warmer than this.
Its a good job I have a sense of humour as I can now say that I've stayed at Fawlty Towers.
All this hotel lacked was Basil.

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 1tango13
Reviewed 11 February 2012

First of this hotel called me the day before i was due to travel and said they had a stag do and they smashed rooms although they told booking.com that they had over booked, when i got there i asked to see the smashed room and they refused!

I was due to stay 3 nights first night being new years eve and then 1st & 2nd of jan
well it ended up tht they had arranged us to stay in another hotel for the night and the guy who dealt with us drove us over to it which was hand with luggage and things! Unfortunatly wen it got to new years day and we wanted to chill in room we had to slug our luggage back to park view fromother hotel which was not ideal!

By the way the other hotel was fantastic and alot better standards and cheaper than park view its called PILLARS HOUSE. Look at my review for that hotel!

Once me and my partner got settled in thos hotel (11.30 new years day mornin with a smashin hang over) the room was not clean the bedding was but the sides were thick in dust and very thicky to touch!
Veyyyy very cold room!

KEY POINT....
We stayed in the one of the rooms on the lower floor where you have to go DOWN the stair. . this room had a door in the bathroom which lead out to the public hall way which could be accesd by anyone as the hotel was not locked to the public at all at night. . anyway this door could be opened with a 2p coiin or a key or anything reali fromthe OUTSIDE this was very un nerving and we had to sleep with the bed against the door!

Told the manager of this issue she said she would get some1 2 lookat it first thing, 2 days later we left and it was still the same!!

Would not go again or recommend!!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here make sure you dont stay on a lower floor room. . the one we stayed in is no...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple