“you may catch rabbis”

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“you may catch rabbis”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Please do not go here ,

Where to start , dirty filthy hole , fighting , swearing , glasses flying every where and the police being called , I`m currently waiting for a doctors appointment to see what all the bites are over my partners and My body .
The mould in the bed covers , the faulty shower and to top it all the attitude of the manger was priceless or in my case £179.00 !
we left to stay in another hotel and asked for a refund for the night we DIDNT stay and they said "no not our policy "
please dont stay here , it needs burning to the ground and I`m hoping a fight may lead that way .

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank christopher e

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Bathroom unclean - whiskers in sink, hair in shower. Had to ask for it to be re-cleaned. Beds uncomfortable and saggy. Ceiling leaks rain by window (dripping onto our clothes on an adjacent chair). This has caused the blind to warp over time allowing light into the bedroom at night. Ran out of hot water in the shower in the morning. Continetal breakfast adequate but not topped up after the croissants ran out! Instant coffee too. Complained to duty manager on departure who looked as if he heard it all before and wasnt botherd about our stay. This hotel may appear on the hotel inspector one day....

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
4 Thank Ben F

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I seriously recommend that you DO NOT stay here.

On arrival we were shown to the 'room' in the basement, which was totally unsatisfactory. After struggling to get down the cluttered stairs complete with tripping hazards, we had literally made our way into the dingy basement of the building. This room felt very unsafe and not secure in the slightest. We discovered a 2nd door in the bathroom, which led out into the corridor and this was only just locked with a fragile bolt at the top of the door: anyone could make their way into this room with a little effort! Surely this room isn't meant for people to stay in? We soon made our opinions heard and got moved to a different room.

The other room wasn't a lot better. It was bigger...but the carpet was replaced with cheap laminate flooring which sloped (we put a pound coin on the floor and it rolled half way across the room). There were broken sash cord windows and furniture that had seen better days. The wardrobe was filthy and the toilet seat was insecure.

We didn't sleep well at all. We were woken in the middle of the night; firstly by the front door bell ringing and then by the hotel phone. The phone was ringing for at least 20 minutes at approx 2am. Why isn't that phone put through to the managers mobile or another line instead of them allowing it to ring at silly o'clock and thus waking up the guests?! Is there no duty manager to deal with late night incidents? What would happen if there's a real emergency? Hardly reassuring.

The breakfast was also very poor. Toast was white bread only, tea and coffee were in flasks, cereals were in tuppare boxes circa 1960's that hardly looked clean...it had all seen better days. Butter and jam was severly scrimped.

Oh and I haven't even mentioned the bar. When we arrived we noticed a sign outside advertising the hotel's bar and lounge area. I would review it but there's one small problem...it doesn't exist! When we asked at reception where the bar and lounge was the member of staff looked flumaxed - and yet there is a sign outside the hotel!

NOW FOR THE BIG ISSUE...the whole hotel is ridiculously COLD. The manager is notoriously tight and seems to be very reluctant to put the heating on. I honestly estimate the general temperature was below 5 degrees. Even the dining room was like an ice box. Just to hit home with how cold this place is, I caught a chill over night and spent the next morning shivering and throwing up. Really not a nice way to spent a night in Scotland.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Dave B
uk
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Had already booked when I read these reviews and was very anxious to what I might find on arrival, but luckily they proved to be ungrounded. We booked last minute and got a good cheap deal and the accomodation reflected that price. It is very basic, but it had a television and kettle, with the usual free tea, coffee etc. The ensuite was a basic shower room, again with some free goodies. It was spotlessly clean and we had fresh towels everyday.
The whole room was clean with none of the mustiness you sometimes get in old/cheap hotels.
The weather was appalling, very wet and cold and some people may have wanted some extra heating, but it was fine for me and I never used the extra blanket on the bed.
The only thing I would fault is the lack of bedside lighting, as I like to read in bed.
I found the staff very friendly and helpful. They allowed us to have take away in the room, and were happy to provide us with plates and cutlery.
The continental breakfast was basic but adequate and the croissants were served warm at 8o/c while toast was made fresh when you came in.
The Edinburgh buses are frequent and stop just outside. Leith is within walking distance, with some nice restaurants, a good shopping mall and Royal Yacht Britannia.
I would stay here again, if I got the same deal.

2 Thank Abbey P
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I arrived as part of a touring group with a large 48 seater coach which we had been assured would fit in the car park. It did, but getting in and out of the narrow back alley leading to the car park tested the driver's skill to the core! The basement room I shared with three others was spacious with 1 double and 3 single beds, one pillow per person, no spares and no extra covers. There was only 1 tiny wardrobe, 1 chest of drawers, 1 chair and 3 bedside tables. There was a single overhead light and 2 bedside lights, one of which had no wall socket (a double socket 3 metres from the light was completely dead, leaving only 1 live double for the 4 of us). There was a connecting door to an adjoining room with no soundproofing.

The en-suite shower room was clean but unheated, and the bedroom heating was on a central timer which we couldn't alter; as it was May they were on summer settings, which is more than the weather was! During the morning 'rush hour' the hot water ran out quickly. There were 4 hand towels and complimentary toiletries but no bath towels and no shower mat, and there were tea and coffee making facilities so long as only two of you wanted a drink. The kettle worked; one of the other rooms wasn't so lucky, while another had tea and coffee but no kettle.

Breakfast was another disappointment - continental only, no cooked breakfast at all and a very limited choice though there seemed to be an endless supply of toast. There was limited table space, so as breakfast was only from 8 until 9am it was important to get there early. There wasn't much of a kitchen to be seen so they may simply be unable to provide any cooked food. Several of our group went to a sit-down cafe at the end of the road instead - it looked dingy and had very limited seating, but was a more satisfying eating experience.

There was no night porter and the front door was locked from about 9pm; there was a 'function room' but it wasn't open during our stay, so there was no choice but to go out and hope that you would be able to get back in - there was only one dual-purpose key per room and a £20 charge (the word 'deposit' wasn't mentioned) for a second - so anyone who fancied an early night had to wait until all four had had enough or get lucky with other keyholders showing up.

Disappointing but bearable as a cheap b'n'b, this was an experience I do NOT want to repeat.

1 Thank AlBuck
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The man greeted us on arrival by the name Ross (which is my boyfriends name) and showed us to the room we per-booked. The next morning as we checked out the receptionist told us we were put in the wrong room and that they had taken an extra £10 from my card to make up the room charge difference because it was our fault for answering to the name Ross (which was the other peoples second name) and that I had to sign the transaction they already made without my permission (which is illegal)
I still don't have my money refunded!

It was also very cold, the blinds didn't shut right and you could hear the people in the room next door.

I strongly advise to go to another hotel!!!

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Beccamec
London
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We booked for 2 nights expecting to get a room like the ones they show online, but it’s nothing like online!

The plugs was hanging off the wall, very unsafe! The headboard was hanging off the bed and the kettle had a funny smell, Filthy and stained bedspreads.

It was a tiny Room that was not well lit (perhaps that was a blessing) the room had laminate flooring, old style sash windows and a very old style cast iron radiator, VERY COLD!!! When we arrived the radiator was on but the room was still sooooooo cold, we then went out for the evening and on our return the room was absolutely freezing!!! We spent a second night in the hotel to temperatures colder than the night before!!!

Total poor service, a horrible, smelly and depressing place………. I strongly recommend you avoid this hotel!!!

Room Tip: None! Do not stay here
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends