“Overall not good :(”

Park View House Hotel
Ranked #359 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2012

First of all the staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. The bed was horrible, very uncomfortable & it made popping noises whenever you moved. Room was facing the street & was noisy. There was candy wrappers under the bed, we left them on the dresser at checkout. Breakfast was sparse & basic.

Room Tip: Try to haggle for a much better rate!
2  Thank oastreid

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Stayed in a single room for 2 nights. The room, and a few others, were in an annex next to the main building and to get to the main building for breakfast, to access reception or the car park I had to walk out and in to next door. (That's fine unless it's raining or you need to contact them at midnight, as I did).

The toilet did not flush properly and never stopped draining from the cistern into the bowl - a big flow, not a trickle. I reported it within minutes of arrival and was told it would be fixed the following morning and that I could not be moved into another room or given a discount because the hotel was full and my room was cheap anyway. There was, despite this, a sign in the front window reading "vacancies" and the cost of my room was inconsequential, surely. I had to sleep with a river flowing all night in the bathroom, 4 feet from the bed. It was not fixed the following morning and kept flowing until I departed, stopping temporarily after each flush.

The pop up plug in the sink jammed the first time I used it - while shaving - so I had to leave a bowl of dirty water all day and not use it again.

My towel was taken when the room was cleaned on the first morning and not replaced! When I returned late that evening I called reception and the first time they hung up on me, the second time they cut me off, third time didn't answer and fourth time told me that reception was closed and that I would have to walk next door (to reception) to get a towel for myself. I did, two were waiting on a chair in the hall for me; it was pouring with rain outside so I got wet. Surely a good hotel would have demonstrated more consideration. The same person who answered the phone call (and declined the other 3 attempts) dealt with me the entirety of my stay. His customer service skills and attitude were mediocre at best.

The plug sockets did not make solid contacts with plugs in 2 out of four sockets so power was intermittent.

The kettle was so old the on/off buttons were worn through!

There was no window in the room, just a skylight that was covered.

The annex was so poorly insulated for sound that I could hear anyone come in or out, open or close their door, rummage about in their room.

There were a few splatters of blood on the mirror in the bathroom, presumably from a previous tenant's shaving escapades.

There was no phone in the room.

The TV aerial needs fixing - channels kept freezing or not working.

Oh, and you can't open the door to exit the room if the bathroom door is open.

Room Tip: Check things work! Check you've got a towel! Don't stay in the annex.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Mitt K
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I booked this hotel through another website and then went on trip advisor to see reviews.... Silly I know but by reading some of the things here I was so scared for our stay this weekend. We stayed Sat night 6th of October. We had an early morning flight from Dublin which left us at the hotel around half past nine in the morning. I had been in contact with Nigel the previous week to say that we would be arriving early and to see if there was a possibility of leaving the bag at the hotel while we were waiting on our room to be ready. However when we spoke to the girl at the hotel she gave us the brilliant news that we could actually book in there and then as no one had stayed in our room the night previously – This im sure you will agree was brilliant news given that we had been on the road since 3am on Sat morning. We stayed in room 5 on the first floor which overlooks the park. It is a lovely room – Clean with one double and two single beds, there were lots of extra throws or blankets if you got cold & the bed was lovely and comfortable. The en-suite also was clean and the shower was one of the best we have used in our hotel stay’s! We were attending a family wedding at a different hotel so we arrived back about half 12 on Sat night. There was a function just finishing off at The Park View so it was noisy for maybe ten-fifteen minutes while people were getting sorted out with taxis. After this quiet was restored & we slept quite well. Breakfast Sunday morning was grand. All the usual - cereal, breads. Yoghurts, cheese, fruit etc. It was nice and relaxed and was all that we needed to get us going for the day. We then checked out at Half ten & made our way homeward. A major plus for this hotel is that it is on a bus route an the no25 stops right outside the gate. One mention I would give & its unrelated to the hotel is that we got off our bus from the airport at Waverly station and we were a bit unsure of how to proceed. We ended up walking around lost for a little bit. So if you find yourself lost as we were just walk up the Princes St, So get off the bus and walk up to the right – This is the main thoroughfare – Cross Princes St when you can & there are a number of bus stops which the 25 stops at – The hotel itself is only about 15 mins on the bus so its a perfect location away from the hustle & bustle of the city centre. Overall very pleasantly surprised by this hotel & hope to stay again in the near future

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pinty52
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I stayed at the park view for 2 nights and it was a pleasant stay.The host Nigel was very helpful and attentive and pleasant.Break was ok but the service was excellent 2 min walk to tescos bus stop right outside the BnB.Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank lugner696
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Booked the room with Nigel the manager he did us a good deal on our stay was very friendly and a true professional .The room we stayed in was room 20 it was clean beds had new sheets and the room was tidy but a bit cold as the room was large i did complain to Nigel who seems to be around all the time when one needs something he immediately provided me with an electrical heater which i thought was fantastic of him to do so, what a service.Good continental breakfast with unlimited takes.NIce hotel and friendly staff would definitely come here again.GREAT STAY !!!!

2  Thank noel w
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Well a last minute deal in the City, despite been quite a busy street I got parked Ok, They had a job locating me on the system but that turned out to be a laugh. Was none to sure about being housed in the Annexe next door, seperate from the main building and it was noisy from traffic. But all that settled, the room was really all you need. There are several good take aways close by and a huge Tesco. The Street became quiet after 10pm, slept well, a great `help yourself `breakfast, Hard to fault at the price which is excellent by Edinburgh`s standards

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank CelticConnexionsTour
Reviewed 20 September 2012

we had been looking forward to visiting Edinburgh and the hotel looked good when viewed on the internet. From the outside it appeared as we expected however, when we entered the person on reception was not very efficient. we were shown to a room which was at the back of the hotel. The room itself was very basic although was spacious. It appeared to have been rece ntly given a face lift but not a very good one. The windows were ill fitting and due to windy conditions they rattled all night. The bathroom was very basic but did not have a blind at the window. The shower was more of a dribble.

There seemed to be only two members of staff and one of them was quite miserable. Breakfast was included and turned out to be of the continental variety but no real variety. Very disappointing. The waitress would hover and take your dish or plate before you were sure you no longer needed it. Coffee was in thermos flasks.

Room Tip: Just don't go there