“Reviews are misleading”

Park View House Hotel
Ranked #349 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
“Reviews are misleading”
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews on tripadivsor I really expected the worst from this hotel. However I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We were in room 15 which is down the stairs and on arrival at 1.30 the room was rather chilly. The staff who greeted us on arrival were really helpful and friendly and showed us to our room. For 2 people we had 2 single beds and a double which was a bit excessive but the room was large and spacious. The bathroom is cold because there is no heating but the shower is very powerful and very warm. The room was clean and the beds were comfy. I rate hotels on whether the shower is good or not and if you can get a good night's sleep which this hotel ticked both boxes along with it being clean. There was a variety of things out for breakfast, all i had was toast but was happy with it. Overall i would recommend this hotel as the price and location are extremely good for Edinburgh.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scott H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Mold
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I booked a two-night stay for 4 people with this hotel to coincide with a six nations rugby match in March 2013. I had made the booking months in advance (August 2012) via budgetplaces. I was contacted by the hotel in November 2012 informing me that they were not prepared to honour the booking as they only accept a minimum of 4-night stays for the rugby weekends. After numerous phone calls and emails (in which budgetplaces were also useless) the booking was cancelled and I had to make alternative arrangements, even though the fault clearly wasn't mine. this hotel is only interested in making money and has no interest in customer care.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Room Tip: Poor poor poor
Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Graham R

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Our experience at this hotel was nothing but good. We were staying in room 3 which incorporated a powerful, warm shower, and the room seemed to have been recently refurbished. The room was kept very clean throughout our stay, and was kept warm in the night even in the cold December weather. The hotel staff were also very accommodating and pleasant.

There is ample parking on the street outside: we never had trouble finding somewhere to leave the car very close to the hotel. Apparently they also have a car park, though we never used it.

The only negative is that my wife found the mattress uncomfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Batterseapower
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We had the unfortunate experience of staying here for only one night, there's no way we would have stayed another night even if it had been booked.
The filthy, tiny room had only one small radiator and the bathroom didn't even have that! It was freezing!! We went to bed (which was very uncomfortable) wearing pyjamas and jumpers and were still very very cold. The blinds were warped and there were no curtains, so the light from outside was let into the room. There was no freeview tv as advertised, but a tiny tv attached to the wall way above head-height so it wasn't viewable. There was no hot water in the bathroom either.
On the night we stayed, an 18th birthday party was being hosted downstairs which went on well past midnight (we were disgusted we weren't pre-warned of this since we were staying with three young children). The patrons were rowdy and screaming all night and kept us all awake, and the music was thumping into the early hours. The next morning, my car, which had been parked directly outside the hotels entrance, had muddy footprints all across the top where someone had run over the roof. There was damage to the windscreen wipers and a dint in my roof!! The manager, probably exhausted from his party the evening before, was nowhere to be found. The breakfast was ridiculously basic, no cooked breakfast option, only cereal in dirty Tupperware containers, croissants and some bread that felt as though it had been sat out all night (at least there was a toaster if we wanted to make toast though)

We have called the hotel since to complain and are promised a call back from the manager which never materialises.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Kef1983
Inverness
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

Mouldy shower, dirty bedding, room smelled like sick, dirty sink, dirty smeared glass in shower, breakfast was stale and probably from days before....will not stay again, horrible place to be!!!

We stayed in room 11, top floor, took a long time to walk up the very steep stairs, forced to pay up front and were my shown round, just given a key and sent up to our room, were not told about breakfast.

Seems more like a hostel.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Matthew F
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2012

First of all the staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. The bed was horrible, very uncomfortable & it made popping noises whenever you moved. Room was facing the street & was noisy. There was candy wrappers under the bed, we left them on the dresser at checkout. Breakfast was sparse & basic.

Room Tip: Try to haggle for a much better rate!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oastreid
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Stayed in a single room for 2 nights. The room, and a few others, were in an annex next to the main building and to get to the main building for breakfast, to access reception or the car park I had to walk out and in to next door. (That's fine unless it's raining or you need to contact them at midnight, as I did).

The toilet did not flush properly and never stopped draining from the cistern into the bowl - a big flow, not a trickle. I reported it within minutes of arrival and was told it would be fixed the following morning and that I could not be moved into another room or given a discount because the hotel was full and my room was cheap anyway. There was, despite this, a sign in the front window reading "vacancies" and the cost of my room was inconsequential, surely. I had to sleep with a river flowing all night in the bathroom, 4 feet from the bed. It was not fixed the following morning and kept flowing until I departed, stopping temporarily after each flush.

The pop up plug in the sink jammed the first time I used it - while shaving - so I had to leave a bowl of dirty water all day and not use it again.

My towel was taken when the room was cleaned on the first morning and not replaced! When I returned late that evening I called reception and the first time they hung up on me, the second time they cut me off, third time didn't answer and fourth time told me that reception was closed and that I would have to walk next door (to reception) to get a towel for myself. I did, two were waiting on a chair in the hall for me; it was pouring with rain outside so I got wet. Surely a good hotel would have demonstrated more consideration. The same person who answered the phone call (and declined the other 3 attempts) dealt with me the entirety of my stay. His customer service skills and attitude were mediocre at best.

The plug sockets did not make solid contacts with plugs in 2 out of four sockets so power was intermittent.

The kettle was so old the on/off buttons were worn through!

There was no window in the room, just a skylight that was covered.

The annex was so poorly insulated for sound that I could hear anyone come in or out, open or close their door, rummage about in their room.

There were a few splatters of blood on the mirror in the bathroom, presumably from a previous tenant's shaving escapades.

There was no phone in the room.

The TV aerial needs fixing - channels kept freezing or not working.

Oh, and you can't open the door to exit the room if the bathroom door is open.

Room Tip: Check things work! Check you've got a towel! Don't stay in the annex.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business