“Surprisingly Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #397 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Zurich, Switzerland
“Surprisingly Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I must admit that I was very sceptical of this hotel, after I had read here on TripAdvisor that very many people were very much dissatisfied by their choice. However; My doubts soon turned out to be completely unfounded, as the staff was super friendly, helpful and accommodating, our room was very big (!) with kitchenette, tv, two single beds and our private bathroom (also very clean and pleasant). The breakfast was good and diverse (toast, croissants, cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit) and didnt get tiring even after four days.
Bus number 25 directly in front of the house gets you to the city centre (Royal Mile, New Town, museums, Britannia, etc....), the park vis a vis makes for a quiet and relaxing stay even though one is in the middle of Edinburgh.
In conclusion, I am almost glad that some people seem to be extreme nit-pickers, as this hotel is very recommendable and also does'nt stretch ones budget too much (which might be different if the reviews were better).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Denise S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

this is the worst hotel I've stayed while tour in UK.
we stay on Sat night and their was a party going on until early morning, couldn't be able to fall asleep. when I go out look for staff, there are NO staff... the party went on wildly until early morning just right in front of our room door. I couldn't do anything cuz teenagers are drunk!
the bed, has a huge dent in it, could be sleep on anyway, I in the end have squeeze with my friend in her bed. a week later, bed bug bites turn up...
the manager is a talktive, money-oriented, however not problem-solved guy. very disappointing night in UK, all other nights are ok except this one. although the welcome staff is quite friendly, help me with luggage.
the breakfast, um...I'm ok with expensive night with cold meat-it's Edinburgh anyway-however not expecting off meat.
my advice to tourists, don't stay here. to the staff, find another job.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank April C

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Aberdeen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was booked by my company as my boss said " it looked good on the web" so does everything else that's advertising, on arriving from the outside it looks ok, but what a tired hotel this is, it in my opinion needs serious money spent, for £80.00 per night for room and continental breakfast I seriously wished I had been booked in to some of the well known chains. My room was next to a old dining room, no window and a second door that led to the car park, bed was ok, that's all, I think when you see a bed with no headboard you know it's just not right, shower was average, continental breakfast was in the function room, again very tired and lacked atmosphere, I have stayed in plenty hotels in my time, this one ranks in my bottom 10.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Neil E
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

the room was spacious, very clean, it had a very nice outlook, and was within easy reach of Edinburgh, the local bus service near the hotel was also very good. It is difficult in our opinion to find any fault with this hotel, we found the staff very helpful, and enjoyed our breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

2 Thank David S
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Please don't stay here! The Reception staff were frankly rude. Payment was taken on receipt of the room key. We were in the basement, down the stairs and through a door which sadly had no sign to alert newcomers that the stairs continued the other side of the door. Having fallen down the final couple of stairs, we then fell into our room as, once again, there was no warning that there was a step into the room immediately after the doorway.

The room; stuffy, dark and dirty. The bed had an old mattress with large springs coming through uncomfortably. There was no milk with the tea and coffee which looked old, the mugs were all dirty and chipped. The bathroom was down a step and the air vent stuffed with toilet roll. On a plus point, the shower did get warm eventually. Hairdryers were available from reception, the first failed to work and the second was poor. Breakfast was a disgrace. The bread was mouldy. Cutlery was dirty and crockery all felt grimy. Had there been any staff around, we would have told them the bread was mouldy...To say it is on a par with Faulty Towers would be an insult to Faulty Towers!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert A
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Turned up feeling very optimistic. Stayed in some little B&B's before, so believed we knew what to expect... What a mistake!
Upon arrival you immediately have to pay - before even seeing the rooms - I understand why now! But more on that later...
I do recognise some hotels have a card charge, however trying to overcharge the lady trying to check in before us started off the 'visit' off with open eyes... and then preceding to tell her when she challenged the cost of the debit card process that the she was "lying" and she "must of misheard" what the receptionist had just said definitely gave us a good idea of the type of 'hotel' it is - trying to swindle some extra pounds - shame they aren't spent on the 'hotel'.

Anyway, was finally shown to our 'room'. I'll give you a summary:
- Absolutely freezing.
- Dirty.
- Thinnest 'mattresses' I've ever seen
- Stained mattresses
- No mattress covers
- Kettle was filthy
- Scaffolding against our windows with ladders leaning against our windows
- Worn furniture
- Cracked sink
- Moldy shower

The 'breakfast room' consisted of plastic garden looking chairs with a bedroom directly off of the room - good luck to whoever gets that room!

... in general it was just grim. My partner is ex forces and he stated accommodation in the training facilities was 1000 times better.
Tried to check out and they refused to give any type of refund even though my partner insisted. Currently going through the credit card company to ensure they don't receive a penny of our hard earned cash.

I'm not someone who usually moans about hotels etc and I'm usually easily pleased... so please don't think i'm some fussy fart who nit-picks...

PLEASE DO NOT BOOK HERE.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank iiLaura
Salamander Bay, NSW Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Well, I guess on every trip you get a property that's a real let down. This was ours. We had booked online using Booking.Com and requested a ground floor room with walk in shower. When we arrived the manager said he hadn't received our special requests, and had only 1 room left, which was on the first floor, up a curved staircase with 25 steps! On entering the room, which was quite large, we could smell paint, and on finding the paint tray still on the table, realised a quick paint job had recently been done. The window venetian blind was hanging off at one side!! The shower was over the bath!! There was rubbish from the previous occupant still in the waste bin in the bathroom, including a used tampon??????? The drain in the bath was blocked with so much hair, the water took ages to run away????? Needless to say, if we could have gone somewhere else we certainly would have, but at 5pm on a Tuesday evening, we were a bit pushed. After opening the window while we went out for dinner, the paint fumes dissipated. We requested the manager remove the rubbish from the bathroom immediately and this was done. The beds were comfortable and clean. This hotel is a rabbit warren, rooms everywhere. Breakfast was continental, bread and toaster, two containers of cereal, cold meat, cordial for juice, and tea bags or coffee sachets. Not the best. This was our one nightmare experience in 5 days in Scotland. I certainly would not recommend this property.

Room Tip: stay at another hotel