“Much better than I expected”

Park View House Hotel
Ranked #351 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Much better than I expected”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

After reading several not very complimentary reviews on this hotel, I was not very optimistic about the kind of accommodation I would find on arrival, but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. Our room was in the basement area of the hotel and was large and spotlessly clean. We found the beds very comfortable, and slept well all three nights of our stay. Although we were facing the park and thus on the road side of the hotel, it was very quiet and we weren't troubled by any noisy guests. The bathroom was huge with a powerful shower and as much hot water as we needed. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, and nothing was too much trouble for them. Hotel location is very good, right on a main bus route into Edinburgh. The only negative points are that the decor is a bit dated, and the paintwork could do with a touch up, but otherwise it successfully ticked the most important boxes for us, comfort, cleanliness and polite and friendly staff, and very importantly not a bed bug in sight!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel was booked at short notice by a friend, as we were travelling around the UK on honeymoon from Australia. The exterior of the hotel looked very nice and elegant, but the inside unfortunately did not! The accommodation was 'tired' and the hosts in our opinion could not have been less helpful and attentive. It was sad to think that this was our first impression of accommodation in Scotland. The breakfast was woeful, we couldn't wait to get out!!
We would not recommend this hotel to anyone, it was horrible!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon S

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I must admit that I was very sceptical of this hotel, after I had read here on TripAdvisor that very many people were very much dissatisfied by their choice. However; My doubts soon turned out to be completely unfounded, as the staff was super friendly, helpful and accommodating, our room was very big (!) with kitchenette, tv, two single beds and our private bathroom (also very clean and pleasant). The breakfast was good and diverse (toast, croissants, cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit) and didnt get tiring even after four days.
Bus number 25 directly in front of the house gets you to the city centre (Royal Mile, New Town, museums, Britannia, etc....), the park vis a vis makes for a quiet and relaxing stay even though one is in the middle of Edinburgh.
In conclusion, I am almost glad that some people seem to be extreme nit-pickers, as this hotel is very recommendable and also does'nt stretch ones budget too much (which might be different if the reviews were better).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Denise S
Reviewed 7 July 2014

this is the worst hotel I've stayed while tour in UK.
we stay on Sat night and their was a party going on until early morning, couldn't be able to fall asleep. when I go out look for staff, there are NO staff... the party went on wildly until early morning just right in front of our room door. I couldn't do anything cuz teenagers are drunk!
the bed, has a huge dent in it, could be sleep on anyway, I in the end have squeeze with my friend in her bed. a week later, bed bug bites turn up...
the manager is a talktive, money-oriented, however not problem-solved guy. very disappointing night in UK, all other nights are ok except this one. although the welcome staff is quite friendly, help me with luggage.
the breakfast, um...I'm ok with expensive night with cold meat-it's Edinburgh anyway-however not expecting off meat.
my advice to tourists, don't stay here. to the staff, find another job.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank April C
Aberdeen
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was booked by my company as my boss said " it looked good on the web" so does everything else that's advertising, on arriving from the outside it looks ok, but what a tired hotel this is, it in my opinion needs serious money spent, for £80.00 per night for room and continental breakfast I seriously wished I had been booked in to some of the well known chains. My room was next to a old dining room, no window and a second door that led to the car park, bed was ok, that's all, I think when you see a bed with no headboard you know it's just not right, shower was average, continental breakfast was in the function room, again very tired and lacked atmosphere, I have stayed in plenty hotels in my time, this one ranks in my bottom 10.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Neil E
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

the room was spacious, very clean, it had a very nice outlook, and was within easy reach of Edinburgh, the local bus service near the hotel was also very good. It is difficult in our opinion to find any fault with this hotel, we found the staff very helpful, and enjoyed our breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

2 Thank David S
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Please don't stay here! The Reception staff were frankly rude. Payment was taken on receipt of the room key. We were in the basement, down the stairs and through a door which sadly had no sign to alert newcomers that the stairs continued the other side of the door. Having fallen down the final couple of stairs, we then fell into our room as, once again, there was no warning that there was a step into the room immediately after the doorway.

The room; stuffy, dark and dirty. The bed had an old mattress with large springs coming through uncomfortably. There was no milk with the tea and coffee which looked old, the mugs were all dirty and chipped. The bathroom was down a step and the air vent stuffed with toilet roll. On a plus point, the shower did get warm eventually. Hairdryers were available from reception, the first failed to work and the second was poor. Breakfast was a disgrace. The bread was mouldy. Cutlery was dirty and crockery all felt grimy. Had there been any staff around, we would have told them the bread was mouldy...To say it is on a par with Faulty Towers would be an insult to Faulty Towers!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple