“Great to see this hotel open again”
Review of The Raeburn

The Raeburn
Ranked #2 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bathgate, United Kingdom
“Great to see this hotel open again”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My partner and I always like to visit Stockbridge when we are in Edinburgh. It was sad to see the demise of the Raeburn hotel, we always liked to sit out in the sun with a drink so we were delighted to find it has re-opened after extensive refurbishments, we only had a drink but had a look round ( not in the rooms ) it is looking fantastic. We did sit out in the sun with a drink and plan to have food the next time we visit. The dining areas look very nice and the private dining room looks lovely, all in all a great asset to Stockbridge.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 April 2014

After going for coffee on its opening week we returned today for lunch. Had to wait for a table but that was ok, great waitress kept us supplied with drinks till we were given food menu. Lovely lunch had by all and not too badly priced either. My only gripe, and bare in mind I am a mother of 3 myself, was the number of babies and buggies in the bar area. It doesn't half spoil your lunch having crying babies and doting mothers waking up and down with buggies getting in peoples way. For this reason alone I don't think I will return. Shame :-(

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara E
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Some times Service is everything!

I visited the Raeburn on Wednesday evening and was extremely impressed with the buildings restoration. It was spacious although very busy and elegant.

I was greeted by a barmaid with a massive, beautiful smile which instantly made me feel welcome. When I returned to the bar to order a bottle of wine the same barmaid told me which wines she had, took interest in the kinds of things I personally liked and suggested a bottle! At first I was a little skeptical of her suggestion as she looked quite young and perhaps not very knowledgeable about wine, however despite my reservations she continued to be very polite and cheerful and went on to explain where the wine was from, how it was made what it tasted like and appeared to have extensive knowledge on the subject.

I was very impressed so I decided to trust her and order the bottle of wine and I was not disappointed it was beautiful and absolutely right for me.

I will definitely be returning as I was made to feel very welcome and like my order was of great interest and importance to her. I hope that when I have a meal the rest of the staff are of such a high standard and from what I've seen so far and the snippets I've caught of the other staff it would appear so.

Well done for a beautiful restoration and excellent hiring and running and good luck with your new venture.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Louise M
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

A friend and I went for lunch. Ok we got there before 12 and were told that we would have to wait, but could order drinks and given a menu.. Fine, then more people arrived given menu's too, but they arrived later than us and were able to give their food order ahead of us while we just sat there. Had to call a waiter over to give order. Ok we had soup and the mushrooms, which were nice, but there seemed to be a surfeit of management wandering round looking important and doing not a lot. Décor very pleasant, food a bit pricey, £6 to what amounted to mushrooms on toast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I have been eagerly awaiting the opening of the Raeburn for months. I am local in Edinburgh and observed and noted the restoration and plans with great interest. Finally in its opening week, I headed down for a drink.

I was hugely impressed with the quality, feel and restoration of the building. The bar is spacious, comfortable, lively but still very "stockbridge". The detail and effort is clear to see.

The staff were all enthusiastic and friendly and I have a good chat with the waitress serving our table. Mr MacLean, the owner, even came to greet our group and was very friendly and happy to tell us about the place.

In my opinion the Raeburn doesn't conflict with Stockbridge, or even add to it, it completes it. It feels very naturally located and designed, and I recommend anyone in the area tries it out for a drink or a meal (which I didn't have but will be sure to very soon, dishes looked incredible).

Well done to all involved.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank thescottishkid
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Had dinner here on Friday followed by a few drinks in the bar. Food was excellent!! Had a steak while my friend had the chicken. Service needs a tiny bit of work but considering they were swamped I'm not surprised there were a few wobbles. All in all very enjoyable and highly reccomended!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bluffy1
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I actually feel bad writing this review as I believe in supporting new local businesses but I after stewing over it for a few days I've decided that maybe the owners will read this and take on board a few points.

I went for a meal here during the opening week. Obviously it is nerve wracking for any new business but there were a few things that could not be forgiven.

The building itself has been lovingly restored and a lot of money has been spent, the dining room is very well designed.

Here is where the good points end I'm afraid.

We arrived and straight away ordered a couple of cocktails while we eyed up the impressive sounding menu. Unfortunately these cocktails failed to materialise until half way through the main course followed by the wine we'd ordered for the meal so just had water for the most part!

The waiting staff were running around like blue ars*d flies (seemingly without purpose a lot of the time from one side of the room to the other and then jusf standing there) making the atmosphere rather uncomfortable and pressurised. Two of the staff struggled in front of a fully booked restaurant to open a simple bottle of wine, one then confessing loudly to the table they had never opened a wine bottle before. Perhaps employing such poorly trained staff was an error.

The food itself was ok. My soup sadly hadn't been stirred so my first spoonful was completely chilled and my second roasting hot. The steak was good although the waiter forgot the sauce so had to wait 5 minutes for that. But I'm glad I didn't order the fish dish (monkfish if memory serves me correctly) as the table nearby had it and pretended to wretch it was that bad. The creme friache ice cream was so sour it was inedible.

I would go back in a few months to see if the place had improved once settled in but was so looking forward to having a new local I could frequent and take friends and family, however for the time being I shall be giving this place a wide berth.

• Stayed March 2014