“Strange B and B”

Ranked #202 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
ringwood hampshire uk
“Strange B and B”
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Could not fault the cleanliness of the room etc. It was up 2 flights of stairs, no lift! Breakfast was pretty meagre, but acceptable. 5% charge for credit or debit card payment. Breakfast was8 - 9am even on Sunday and you felt as though you were a bit of a nuisance being there. Plates etc cleared immediately drinks gone if you were not careful before they were finished! We would not stay here again. The cost was £60pn and we think we would have been better in a budget lodge

• Liked — It was very clean
  • Disliked — Strange obsessive clearing around us when having breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
NW USA
Reviewed 12 June 2006

MOSTLY pleasant stay here for 6 nights in single ensuite room. About 20 minute walk to Royal Mile, but frequent easy bus service, stop very near to B&B. In general fairly clean, quiet and comfortable room in older building, bath fairly recently updated. Mid-stay one day their help apparently didn't come in to work so hosts did room cleaning and left door to my room unlocked; altho nothing was missing, I had left credit cards, etc. in room and was a bit disconcerted. When I relayed this information to the host when I returned that evening, he assured me that it was OK, it was only his wife who entered; I felt it was not OK, and told him my concern was only with other guests having access to valuables I had left in room. I needed to call the credit card companies and asked how to use the phone, at which point he couldn't really tell me how it worked and I never could make an operator assisted call from the room, had to walk to nearest pay phone. The incident of the unlocked room was less of a concern than the host's unhelpful attempt to just smooth it over. The whole exchange remained polite and non-confrontational, and I have to say that other than this they were friendly and helpful. Also have to say that the breakfast room was lovely and food very good. If I ever get to Edinburgh again I would probably stay here again, but only if I couldn't find lodgings closer to center for the same price.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank tumblingweed
Christchurch, Dorset
Reviewed 6 October 2005

I have just returned from a three night stay at the International Guest House. I found it spotlessly clean and well maintained. The owners were welcoming and friendly. The Guest House is only about 1.5 miles from the City Centre and there are numerous buses which go straight to the City Centre from almost outside the door of the guest house. There is a wide variety of items available for breakfast. Although my room was at the front of the house and there was therefore a small amount of traffic noise, the room boasted wooden shutters (as well as curtains) and I did not find the noise intrusive at all. For the quality of the establishment and it's quite central location, I thought it was also very reasonably priced. There are only three parking spaces so that might potentially be a problem but I believe that there is some parking available in a nearby side road although I did not check this myself.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank Jenny098
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 February 2005

We have visited Edinburgh last summer, we were lucky to book our accommodations at the International. We found it very clean , comfortable and friendly. I would recommond that place and definitly, we will be back.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 November 2003

We found everyone we dealt with on our trip to Scotland extremely friendly and a pleasure to know - except for the owner of the International Guest House, Karen. We were unjustly charged a large fee that was NOT written in the hotel policy. The owner, Karen was rude and unnegotiable in the matter. Luckily, we made our reservations through activehotels who also agreed that the fee was unjust and as a result managed to have our money refunded - but only after a lot of upset. I do not know how anyone can expect to do well in a business when they treat their customers as Karen has. There was no kind will here - definitely not what you need when on vacation.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels