“Great little gem of a B&B”

International Guest House
Ranked #225 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I booked this B&B on line, I read the reviews, good and bad. Was a little nervous after reading a bad review about the breakfast, or lack of it if we missed the time slot. This B&B was so easy to find off the ring road, good half hour walk in to the city, but one road, very easy, we did the bus on the second night as we had a ghost tour booked.we arrived nearly an hour earlier than we scheduled and was greater by a lovely gentlemen who smiled all the time, he did advise of payment methods but not in a pushy way, he offered his advice of things to do and any local info, advised us of breakfast time etc, we travelled as a couple and we were given a large room On the ground floor with a double bed and a single, yes the decor is chintzy but we loved it, the whole place has a cosy, clean, and interesting atmosphere, we loved that the cutlery was lovely silverware and all the crockery was floral china. The shower was amazing the room was always clean, we arrived on the Friday, got up for breakfast on Saturday and went in to the city early, when we came back, the bed was remade clean towels were put out, room was cleaned. Every time we saw the owner he was smiling and friendly,we are defo going to return.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tanya_smith54
There are newer reviews for International Guest House

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I have been stayed at the International Guest House for ca. 10 days in August.

I appreciated it, I feel like at home. It is a very nice building 15- 20 minutes walk from the city centre. I liked this walk every morning!
In any case there is the bus stop in front of the guest house, and in10 min. you are in the centre!!!

I had a single room on the 2nd floor. The room was essential, very quite, silent and clean .
The owners were kind and friendly.
Lovely stay. I will return!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Greta_greta76
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We were in Edinburgh for one night unexpectedly and found this place in Mayfield Gardens which has a large selection of B&B's on offer. Having viewed a couple of them we settled on the International Guest House as we were offered a large room on the first floor. The owner's first language is not english and we had a little difficulty with the information he was giving us, all about ways to pay rather than breakfast times and check out times. The room itself was very pink and more akin to an elderly clientelle, however the bed was comfortable and the shower was excellent. There was a sign in the room requiring us to vacate the premises by 10am and as such we rose at 8.30 (unusual for us on a Sunday) and made our way down for breakfast at just after 9am. We cannot comment on the breakfast as we didnt get any. We were now told that breakfast was served between 8 and 9am and as this was now after 9, the machine had been turned off and breakfast was finished. They wouldnt even give us cereal and despite my protestations we were given short shrift. If this is their way of ensuring repeat business, they are in for a shock. Very poor customer service. We wont be back.

Room Tip: Room 5 is large and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank trappedinalampshade
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The room was dirty. The breakfast was of poor quality and rushed. Compared to other b&bs or hotels we have stayed in the cost was over inflated for the service provided. However, worst of all, when we dared to complain about the service we were met with abuse and threats from the owner. A really unpleasant experience which ruined our stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank Dumafe
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The two best things about this guest house were the staff and the location. The owners were very welcoming and helpful. The bus services into town are excellent and although there is limited parking on site, there is plenty in the road next door (quite rare for Edinburgh).
My single room on the first floor was however very small, as was the en-suite. There were limited toiletries - from memory, just liquid soap. Decor throughout the establishment is traditional, or dated and chintzy, depending on your point of view.
As other reviewers have remarked, the so-called Scottish breakfast was disappointing, with a limited range of hot food, and tinned fruit cocktail.
My friend and I were visiting Edinburgh for a school reunion and were looking for somewhere conveniently located and reasonably priced, so were not that bothered about decor etc. But I can see that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2011

It's a very friendly and helpful place. The breakfast is good and

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Booked a night on LateRooms.com and thought I had made a good deal since it was 4-star and I paid £40.00 instead of £68.00, but it turned out the star rating in Scotland is VERY different from the one in the US and Canada. I also think that their single rooms' prices range between £40.00 and £68.00 and that they just gave me the cheap one (but they make you think you had a discount, even if it is not the case...). The room was very small, and the bed not so comfortable (could feel the springs in the mattress and the pillows were the old, hard, synthetic ones...). The host was very nice though and it was nice to have hot breakfast. Also, it was very close to the center, which is always great. I was just really disappointed about the discount that in the end was not a discount and also by that "4-stars" ranking... I think I could have got the same for half the price, really...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo