“Great choice!”

Ranked #202 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Great choice!”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Spent a week here while I was working and it was everything I needed - warm, clean, very welcoming, nice to come back to at the end of the day. Straight road into town - an easy 15 minute walk or there was a very frequent bus from the stop just across the road. Would definately stay here again next time I'm in Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank neddyb1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I had booked this hotel for myself and my teenager daughter BEFORE reading any reviews on Tripadvisor. I made the mistake of reading them the night before we were due to go and I must confess was seriously thinking of trying to get out of the booking. However I am so pleased that I didn't. We were greeted by a lovely lady at the hotel who immediately helped orientate us to the local area, gave us very helpful advice about the buses and could recommend somewhere for us to grab a quick bite to eat that evening. She spoke of settling the bill only as far as to say that we may have to queue on the Sunday morning so could settle earlier if we had a train to catch. She was also very transparent about the charge for using a card which enabled me to withdraw cash instead.
We were pleasantly surprised by the room which was on the 2nd floor and was very large ( 1 double and 1 single) with a lovely big window overlooking Arthurs seat.Theere was also no skimping on the tea or coffee facilities either which was nice.
The room was certainly an explosion of flowers and chintz but was very clean with plenty of towels.
The breakfast was very nice ( I settled for poached egg and bacon on toast) and liked the fact that we were given both a pot of tea and a pot of coffee. The hotel is on a main bus route and they certainly are very frequent and give very easy access to town if you don't want to walk. I was very happy withthis hotel and would certainly stay again next time we are in Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank cheekymonkey777
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I booked this B&B on line, I read the reviews, good and bad. Was a little nervous after reading a bad review about the breakfast, or lack of it if we missed the time slot. This B&B was so easy to find off the ring road, good half hour walk in to the city, but one road, very easy, we did the bus on the second night as we had a ghost tour booked.we arrived nearly an hour earlier than we scheduled and was greater by a lovely gentlemen who smiled all the time, he did advise of payment methods but not in a pushy way, he offered his advice of things to do and any local info, advised us of breakfast time etc, we travelled as a couple and we were given a large room On the ground floor with a double bed and a single, yes the decor is chintzy but we loved it, the whole place has a cosy, clean, and interesting atmosphere, we loved that the cutlery was lovely silverware and all the crockery was floral china. The shower was amazing the room was always clean, we arrived on the Friday, got up for breakfast on Saturday and went in to the city early, when we came back, the bed was remade clean towels were put out, room was cleaned. Every time we saw the owner he was smiling and friendly,we are defo going to return.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tanya_smith54
milano
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I have been stayed at the International Guest House for ca. 10 days in August.

I appreciated it, I feel like at home. It is a very nice building 15- 20 minutes walk from the city centre. I liked this walk every morning!
In any case there is the bus stop in front of the guest house, and in10 min. you are in the centre!!!

I had a single room on the 2nd floor. The room was essential, very quite, silent and clean .
The owners were kind and friendly.
Lovely stay. I will return!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Greta_greta76
Paisley
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We were in Edinburgh for one night unexpectedly and found this place in Mayfield Gardens which has a large selection of B&B's on offer. Having viewed a couple of them we settled on the International Guest House as we were offered a large room on the first floor. The owner's first language is not english and we had a little difficulty with the information he was giving us, all about ways to pay rather than breakfast times and check out times. The room itself was very pink and more akin to an elderly clientelle, however the bed was comfortable and the shower was excellent. There was a sign in the room requiring us to vacate the premises by 10am and as such we rose at 8.30 (unusual for us on a Sunday) and made our way down for breakfast at just after 9am. We cannot comment on the breakfast as we didnt get any. We were now told that breakfast was served between 8 and 9am and as this was now after 9, the machine had been turned off and breakfast was finished. They wouldnt even give us cereal and despite my protestations we were given short shrift. If this is their way of ensuring repeat business, they are in for a shock. Very poor customer service. We wont be back.

Room Tip: Room 5 is large and comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trappedinalampshade

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed 10 November 2011

The room was dirty. The breakfast was of poor quality and rushed. Compared to other b&bs or hotels we have stayed in the cost was over inflated for the service provided. However, worst of all, when we dared to complain about the service we were met with abuse and threats from the owner. A really unpleasant experience which ruined our stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank Dumafe
Liverpool
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The two best things about this guest house were the staff and the location. The owners were very welcoming and helpful. The bus services into town are excellent and although there is limited parking on site, there is plenty in the road next door (quite rare for Edinburgh).
My single room on the first floor was however very small, as was the en-suite. There were limited toiletries - from memory, just liquid soap. Decor throughout the establishment is traditional, or dated and chintzy, depending on your point of view.
As other reviewers have remarked, the so-called Scottish breakfast was disappointing, with a limited range of hot food, and tinned fruit cocktail.
My friend and I were visiting Edinburgh for a school reunion and were looking for somewhere conveniently located and reasonably priced, so were not that bothered about decor etc. But I can see that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends